Spintires Mud Runner - nice little surprise!

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Yup. Purchased it instantly. It's only $13 US for people who already own the original game. It comes out on Tuesday, 31st October, and I plan to play it that day/night if anyone else is interested! I know @Duke is picking it up, and I think @JMart is buying it as well?

Nice to see the addition of first person... that way we can be totally oblivious to what our trailer is doing behind us!

Well... I really loved Spintires. It's such a small game and I played it for more than 85 hours.
But I really have NO clue what's new about "Mud Runner". A few more vehicles and slightly better graphics. That's it, or am I wrong?

Can somebody tell me, would be a shame if I had to buy it later for the full price. ^^

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
"A huge upgrade over its predecessor, this edition comes complete with a brand new Sandbox Map joining alongside the original game's 5, a total graphical overhaul, a new Challenge mode with 9 new dedicated maps, 13 new vehicles and other comprehensive improvements. It’s not just an enhanced edition, it’s the ultimate off-road experience!"

It kind of feels like a "Special Edition" or "Ultimate Collection" kind of game. It includes all the original game, @VipersStrike21 +1 "Sandbox Map". To me, this isn't a bad thing! With the addition of vehicles, the graphics update, and the addition of first-person, even if you view it as "DLC", it seems very solid to purchase it on sale.

I am curious, and of course by nature skeptical, to know what Challenge mode is with it's 9 new dedicated maps. This could be interesting, or it could just be a dick-measuring mechanic, which I hate in video games. However, because I'm newer to SpinTires, and I haven't even played all of the maps yet, shelling out 1/4 the price of a AAA game for this update/addon/dlc/ultimate edition seemed obvious.

If there wouldn't be a huge discount I wouldn't be that interested. :D
But 13,49€ is a good price (as long as you own the old one) for such a game.
But I really hate preordering and by watching the trailers I can't see any difference for the graphics.
And those "new" vehicles aren't that new if you simply could download them as mod.
I really hoped for mud to be synced but they still didn't implement that. :/

E

ElektroVodka

Oh yes! More sailing! Count me in, should have a internet connection by that time as i am moving places end of this month.

Shilka

Hardcore
Yep, just the interior view is worth the money for me... And it's also worth something that the game is out of Ovee's hands. I hope Focus will have better control of Pavel though, not sure how they will handle him working on a surprise for 6 months and then coming up with 'an updated model for the driveshaft' and a 'train horn on steroids that will scare birds out of bushes' as a result.

Next to the extra's there's also stuff I don't like. They made all vehicles uglier, as in they look less like the real deal because they don't have any licenses (it's like euro truck all over), and the see through fuel tanks are horribly immersion breaking while serving near to no purpose (as the visual fluid physics have no influence on the game physics whatsoever), but hey, can't see the tank anyway as I will be in first person view all the time! :D

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
The video I saw only mentioned they had a more first person view over the cockpit, not an actual interior view, am I missing something?

Also @Shilka, I'm with you, watching the gas swoosh around in the tanks is absolutely horrible. You also get to see the engine superimposed in much the same way particularly when it's taking damage.

I hope this can be toggled on/off or just set to off because it's horrible to look at.

As @Skid_Marc_ stated though, I already put my money down and am into seeing what it has to offer when it comes out. Could make it a SpinTires weekend if anyone else is interested.

E

ElektroVodka

It's probably impossible to get licenses from non existing Soviet manufacturers :)

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
I saw that video @Skid_Marc_ but that's not in the game yet afaik, it's only in development due to Community Feedback.

This video from Gamescom tells a different story:

If it's ready upon release that would be awesome though for sure.

E

ElektroVodka

They're talking about the views at 11:50, currently they have a hoodview but are working on FP view.

little P

Super Mod
Dammit. I ppre-ordered it because I thought it will have first person view! Gits. Ok well it's only £9 for me so no big deal. It's worth the money to play with you guys and have a laugh. Would spend more than that on 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps...

Shilka

Hardcore
Pavel actually worked on first person view about 2 years ago, and it was even in internal testing, but pavel back then claimed they canceled it because it caused motion sickness amongst the testers. So I kind of hope he may have some interior models laying around and it won't take too long... For all we know that interior in the first vid IS from 2 years ago...

Oh, and on the russian site where pavel posts ( https://vk.com/spin_tires_ru )he already announced there would be first person view before P's first video exsisted.

At leastnow something will happen with the game. Know what ovee did with the money they earned of spintires btw? Instead of putting some money back into the game they bought a trucking company :p ( http://www.saxtonhaulage.co.uk/ )

Last edited:

Jeeve79

Casual
Aah Spintires, that is that game that went down because a programmer installed a timebomb into it because he did not get paid or something. Looks cool but i dont really understand the multiplayer aspect of it, besides towing each other out of the mud.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
This game is a blast in MP particularly when you're gunning back wobbly pops.

I only wish CoOp could include more people say 6 - 8, that would be awesome!

E

ElektroVodka

Looks cool but i dont really understand the multiplayer aspect of it, besides towing each other out of the mud.
There's so much more than just "pulling each other out of the mud".
Working in a group to get the logs to the sawmill, have someone run a fuel truck or have someone man the wrecker and indeed pull you out of the mud.

And then there's Wappie, who manages to turn a truck into a submarine.

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics