1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

2017 VLN Championship Series

Discussion in 'iRacing Forum' started by Deb, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Deb

Deb Moderator

Hey all, this came through yesterday. Looks like VLN will start March 18!!!!! They have dropped the Kia and added the Porsche, and the AMG is still in :D The races are now on Saturday versus Sunday, at least the first two, not sure why they did that. Also, split will be by iRating and grid will be by QT. Last year, I thought split and grid were by QT unless you didn't qualify, then iRating. Will be interesting to see how that changes the racing dynamics. Probably have more incentive to qualify, last year it seemed like hardly anyone did.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3519837.page

Sam Roselaar and Noodleguitar like this.
  2. Sam Roselaar

Sam Roselaar Core

are you looking for teammates? because i love driving the porche-nurburg combo.

i was thinking about participating in vln but i looked online and i couldn't find anything about it.
    so anyone wanna drive with me? :)

3. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

Nice, I might be driving the Porsche in this. The races are still on Sunday, but they have added one on Saturday.

I'd say last year they spent a lot of time qualifying, because this determined whether or not you could get in a higher split.

4. Deb

Deb Moderator

I will definitely drive VLN as often as I can. I think the question is the Merc or the Porsche. Last year we ran the Merc, but most of us own AMGs so we are kind of obsessed with that car. I am not as fast in the Porsche yet, but can probably get to a decent time with some practice. Let me see if Bedo, Jay and Reid want to drive VLN and if they are okay with driving the Porsche. We will need a few people just so we can cover all the races and if we have too many, we can always have multiple teams, a good problem to have :)

5. Deb

Deb Moderator

Oh, yeah, thanks Noel, they have two days now, Saturday and Sunday, that is really cool, might make it easier to participate in more races :)

6. Jes_971

Jes_971 Core

I'll be there with bells on!

7. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

Oops, I only noticed now that the Sunday races are during US/Australian times.

The broadcast will be on Saturday, and the splits have been changed to be set by qualifying time.

8. Sam Roselaar

Sam Roselaar Core

i like how it is set by qualifying time. but if anyone from iRacing is watching, please remove the quick repair!
    i mean, what's the point of endurance racing when you are free to wreck once per race xD

i hope to join the saturday race but i'm not even sure if it will be this weekend because iRacing has made 2 different schedules....
    that can be read here: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/50/3519837.page#10391326

Jes_971 and Noodleguitar like this.
  9. Sam Roselaar

Sam Roselaar Core

Noël you drive the porche in this right? could you hand me a setup please :) i can't seem to understand how to make a stable yet fast porche setup

i tried 4 wing but i just understeer like crazy especially at the end of a stint

10. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

I'm not driving the VLN this week because I'm busy practicing/qualifying for NEO but I still have a setup I used during the first week of the Porsche which might be of some use.

Attached Files:

Sam Roselaar likes this.
  11. Sam Roselaar

Sam Roselaar Core

thx <3 i'll try it out today

i'll let you know when i break the world record :)

12. Sam Roselaar

Sam Roselaar Core

great first race!
    completely against my expectations i ended up in first split! starting dead last i worked my way up the porche field with a 12th place finish. i'm very happy with this, especially since this is my first time in top split ever :)

one thing i noticed is that my paint wasn't in the racespot broadcast. Noël i heard you talking about uploading a paint to racespot before. so just in case i get into top split again, how do i do this?

definitly looking forward to next race and i hope to see you in my race next time noël :)

Jes_971 likes this.
  13. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

Nice one Sam!

For the paints, keep an eye out for threads like these:
    http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3528459.page
    They will allow you to upload your paint to RaceSpot's folder.

I definitely want to try to get some VLNs in, currently I'm aiming for the next one on the 1st of April.

Sam Roselaar likes this.
  14. Sam Roselaar

Sam Roselaar Core

thx, i uploaded my paint.

i'll try my best to get into top split again so i can look at you in my mirrors :p

15. Jes_971

Jes_971 Core

Great job on the first split finish, Sam! I'll be doing the next VLN although I doubt in the same split as you guys.

Sam Roselaar likes this.
  16. Sam Roselaar

Sam Roselaar Core

if you can make it to second split there's a big chance you'll be there with me because i doubt i'll be in top split again unless i significantly improve my quali time and setup. we can always practice together and help each other wherever possible.

what cars are you driving?

17. Jes_971

Jes_971 Core

Porsche for sure.

18. Deb

Deb Moderator

Great race Sam!!!!!!! We drove the AMG, not sure what split we were in, probably close to the bottom since we used my QT. We started 28 and finished 18th, but had a number of problems. Bedo got crashed out in the first lap when a driver didn't hit the brakes in a turn and drove into him, resulting in a tow and 12 minute repair. Then in the last stint we lost the network connection at Naid's had to reboot and get back in. It was a blast racing up a Naid's though, although I learned, I should not race on equipment I haven't practiced with. I was about 20 seconds off normal pace :(. Good news is my SR is now back to 4.99, so back to where it was before the Daytona train wreck :D

We will be driving the Porsche for the next one since the 24HR Nurburgring doesn't include the AMG, so if anyone has a good setup on the Ring for the Porsche, may want to test it.

What was really odd is the Porsches started behind the Mazdas, that is crazy. I think they are going to change that for the next one.

19. Sam Roselaar

Sam Roselaar Core

so much bad luck and still a solid 10 spots gained. i'm sure with some luck you'll win your split next time ;)

here's my Q and R setup. it's slightly loose with some wheelspin but i like it. i'll try to perfect it this week
    the cambers and tire wear on it are fucked but that might just be a porche thing because i haven't been able to fix it yet.

i really liked how the porches started behind the mazda's. so chaotic and intense from the very start :) and it sure as hell made for a good show on the racespot broadcast. but i can definitly see why people would want the porches in front

Attached Files:

20. Deb

Deb Moderator

Thanks so much for the setups Sam!!!! I will check them out. I am finding with the 911 and setup, temperature may make a big difference. I will run clean in a practice session and then go out to a hosted session and slide all over the place or vice versa. Is it strange to think there is a need to develop different setups for different temperatures? Not sure what temperature 24HR will be since I think it should be dynamic.

Sam Roselaar likes this.