1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

ATS New Mexico DLC news

Discussion in 'Simulation Gaming' started by Shilka, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Exactly one year after the release of ATS, we have some state DLC news, as SCS confirmed the next new state will be; New Mexico!

Here's some sneak peek screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm very happy to finally see some news on new states. No promises or time frames but happy birthday ATS anyway. I hope we'll be getting more info soon (tm).

Read the full article at SCSblog .

Duke likes this.
  2. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

Thanks for the update Shilka.

Any news on when (or if) we'll see more Truck manufacturers officially licensed and added to the game?

3. Zac_Sonic

Zac_Sonic Staff Member Admin

Oh boi!

They're adding more desert!!

I can't wait for that change of pace!!!

I like how they found all three places in New Mexico with green in there for the pictures to make it LOOK like New Mexico isn't just more desert... but unless they make it unrealistic... its just more desert..

Kinger, Duke and Brainling like this.
  4. Brainling

Brainling Core

There goes my hope for Oregon being the next state. Yay more desert. I'll stick with ETS for now I guess.

5. Duke

lol my thoughts exactly.

My guess is that if they're forced to render landscape the FPS would slow to a crawl.

...much like the pace of further development.

6. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Well, a year ago we knew that it was going to be either Utah (northeastern direction) or New Mexico (eastern direction), so desert was kind of to be expected. If my gut feeling is any good I'd expect them much sooner to work along the east-west line then the north-south direction in order to reach the whole cross country trip availability at some time, as that is what most players would be looking for in ATS eventually. Wouldn't call the development a crawl, the whole rescale added 75% more map within 6 months, and if I'm honest they did a good job on the rescale.

As you, I am curious how quick state development will go from now on, at least the teamsize got up to 40 people now (in stead of 5 at the start), and it seems they are still looking to hire at least double that amount... teams are still devided 50-50 over ATS and ETS, so also curious what else they have in store for ETS...

7. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

8. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Well, looks like SCS is doing a better job then expected. Instead of 'just more desert', the ATS team has added new shrubs, trees, rocks and terrain materials in order to make some, imho, great vista's. Here's 10 screenshots of the upcoming state of new-mexico, and I must admit they are better looking then I expected them to be, and some shots are pretty green too. They are open landscapes, sure, but definitely not barren. Anyway, judge for yourself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kinger, Duke, Zac_Sonic and 1 other person like this.
  9. Duke

OK wow, that's a lot better than I expected it to be.

It would be really awesome if they could eventually take some of the new stuff they're adding to New Mexico DLC and add it to the existing States as well.

...preferably after they give us a lot more States to drive.

10. Zac_Sonic

I appreciate your optimism, and the new screenshot's (and the terrain they feature) look really good....

...but...

"...new shrubs, trees, rocks and terrain materials in order to make some, imho, great vista's...."

doesn't equate to

"...SCS is doing a better job then expected..."

I have been really critical of SCS only releasing ATS with three states. In hindsight, maybe that is a bit unfair, because the original Euro Truck Simulator 2 released with only England, 1/3 of France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, and Switzerland (according to their website, the base game now includes Italy, Austria, and the Czech Republic, but I know Italy wasn't a part of the game when I got it, and I'm not sure about the other two.), so that excluded 2/3 France (DLC), Hungry, Slovakia, Poland (Going East DLC), Norway, Sweden, Denmark (Scandinavia DLC), Italy, Spain, Portugal, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, and the other countries that make up the 50 states in the (current) European Union (how many semi's do you think go through Vatican City, or Monaco? How bad ass would negotiating those cities be?!).

The point is, there is probably some American elitism driving the disappointment in the amount of content in ATS, but while I'm willing to concede that all 50 states in the United States of America is a tall ask, the bigger question is; "..what is SCS's goal?" Why did they choose the states that they chose? California has the highest population of any state in the U.S., so it made a logical starting point. However, I would have preferred they move more north and south, as the trip between SoCal and Seattle would have seen a massive shift in geographical terrain, climate, and road variations. Variations that would have driven the need to explore. Variations that would have prevented the repetition that dulls, and eventually bores.

I do wonder, however, if SCS is currently focused on "Coast-to-Coast" travel, meaning after New Mexico, we would see Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and finally the Atlantic Coast in Georgia. While I would understand if this is SCS's plan, it is no joke that, especially with Texas, this is the most boring route across the US. Three states of desert, some desert mountains between AZ and NM, then flat nothing-ness all the way across Texas before you finally hit some place where trees actually grow side by side, rather than just popping up one here and there.

The worst problem is SCS hasn't really disclosed anything about what their prioritizing, or what their end goal is, so, in the mean time, all we get is 80% desert trucking, 5% trees (Northern California and New Mexico), and 15% cities, and no hint of a light at the end of the tunnel, not to mention a finish line anywhere in sight.

Is ATS American Truck Simulator? or Australian Truck Simulator? It just doesn't feel like the game world has defined itself or really made a clear statement that this IS the USA. We still don't have identifiable landmarks like the Grand Canyon, or the Rockies (New Mexico will clip the southern edge of the "Rocky Mountains", which stretch north into Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana and then up into Canada). The terrain so far feels generic, the lack of truck manufacturers don't give you the variety. Nothing tells you that you're in the US, except maybe Las Vegas, and you can't even drive down 'the Strip' and the optimization is so bad that you can't really enjoy driving through the parts of Las Vegas you can visit.

Again, maybe my expectations are higher because I live here, maybe I just don't bond with it yet because I DON'T live in this part of the US, it very well could be mostly or entirely an issue with me and little to nothing that SCS did wrong.

But I don't feel any sort of attachment to this game that I was expecting. If I want a truck simulator, I'd rather play ETS2. Its more fun, it has more variety. The appeal to ATS, as a mid-west kid who grew up on the road (many hours every week of my childhood were spent on the Interstate Highways), driving everywhere with the family (four times to east coast states, three trips to the Atlantic Ocean standing on several coasts between South Carolina and Maryland, four trips into the Rockies, two trips all the way through Rockies, and one trip to the Pacific coast) playing ATS was about using the fantastic mechanics of ETS2, but in an environment that felt familiar, while using (and being surrounded by) trucks that I see every day, and as a whole feels something like a second home to me...

...but so far ATS has just fallen short on most of those points.

Kinger likes this.
  11. Duke

I fully understand and agree with pretty much everything you said except one thing, the Grand Canyon is in ATS.

I've actually visited it by taking a wrong turn :)

Kinger and Zac_Sonic like this.
  12. Zac_Sonic

Well, but not really. Nevada especially just doesn't have that stuff. Nevada really is that boring. The only reason people outside the US know about Nevada is because of Las Vegas. Outside of that, it is just a pass-through state with wide, straight, and flat high-speed interstate highways (if you're coming from the north-east descending out of the mountains). There isn't a lot SCS can, or should, do about that, imo. It at least makes each state feel different and starts to build the variation that we've been looking for.

Touché.

Duke likes this.
  13. Duke

True but I do feel there is a lot more they can do with Northern California at the very least. I think even my favorite route from Cal to N. Nevada would benefit from a some of the changes we're seeing in the New Mexico DLC.

...but let's be straight, I'm not a fan of desert whatsoever. I've said it numerous times on my stream that I think SCS is really under-performing when it comes to the release of new (and interesting) content. The Heavy Cargo DLC is a very good value IMHO but it's a band-aid solution to a much bigger problem; sure you get heavier and more interesting loads but they're on the same bl00dy roads.

Also the fact that we only have Paccar represented in a Class 8 Highway "Truck Simulator" is patently ridiculous. Not only has it been too long this way I don't think the game should have ever released without at least a few other manufacturers.

I can understand it probably takes a lot of effort to secure licenses for these trucks but they already have Volvo in ETS. You're telling me there is no dialogue whatsoever between between Volvo and SCS, how is this possible?

Assuming this is the case, why not some transparency at least? In ETS they were really hyping up the whole "World of Trucks" angle and so far it's as underwhelming as a product can possibly be. The only reason (and I mean only) I continue to play is it allows me downtime driving which I can stream and turn my brain off at the same time.

Having said that I'm going to go back to ETS because I'm bored of ATS. The problem is I loaded ETS last night and it's been so long I may have lost my savegame due to how many mods I was running 2 years ago.

Now ETS just freezes after logging into World of Trucks, dammit. :mad:

Zac_Sonic likes this.
  14. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

You make some fair points Zac, but I am taking into account that SCS was a tiny studio with 5 people working there when work on ATS started. Also 4 out of 50 states might not seem as much, but take into account that the first 3 states, + New Mexico when released actually add up to 18% of the surface area of the US, 22% if you don't count Alaska. With a much larger team now (40-50), I think SCS is pushing both (cheap) DLC as well as free updates out the door at a rate that is quite decent in today's gaming bussiness. And they are not adding little bits and releasing each version as a new full priced game like a certain farming sim or even like some AAA titles do. Currently I'm not unhappy about the way they keep expanding and improving on their existing game titles, but yeah, it does require a long breath.

Nothing wrong with putting the game aside for a while, and checking back in after a while though :)

And yeah, the whole licensing story is something that takes forever. And it is rally just the licensing, I think volvo VNL models are like 99% ready at SCS and just waiting for a license. They have declared before that having the existing European license did not help them anything with getting the VNL license. If you read back, the getting licenses is a horrible ordeal for SCS. They even had where they were talking for 3 years with a guy at a certain brand, then that guy changed jobs, and the new guy they were talking to was like, huh, I know about nothing, and they had to start talking from scratch all over again... It took them 5 years of talking to get the merc license for ETS2. It sucks, definitely.

Duke likes this.