1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

B2O Conan Exiles Server

Discussion in 'Role Playing Games' started by Duke, Feb 21, 2017.

?

Do we rent our own Conan Exiles Server?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

Hello all,

With interest growing at Band of Others for Conan Exiles I wonder if it's time we perhaps consider our own Conan Exiles Game Server?

With everyone being wiped out on Kitlope's Server this weekend and most looking toward an alternative where all that time is not lost getting our own Server makes a lot of sense.

It's not terribly expensive to rent a Conan Exiles Server so holding onto it for a couple of months is something I can foot the bill for.

In that time we'll see whether or not this is viable as a long term Community Server and if it is we'll figure out a way to pay for it.

Thoughts?

Nejtun likes this.
  2. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Well, contrary to rust, in Conan PvE provides plenty of challenge, so if it's going to be a PvE server where people won't total your place just for the fun of it, I'm game.

Currently reverted to singleplay for some quiet play. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind dying by someones sword or having some of my stuff stolen now and again. But being killed while not even on the server, and having your entire place and tens of thousands of materials destroyed by one single guy, just because he is a higher level and can bash down every door and item in your house isn't very fun yeah...

3. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

I like the idea of a B2O server, although kit's server was cool and for the most part hassle free. I think dying and having to go back to your corpse is punishment enough as you have some control over that I think also the game provides enough challenge with it's PvE content to warrant that game mode.

Not sure how much content the game is going to have later on , but judging by the current load of creatures you can spawn on a single player server there is plenty to be going on with, especially if you leave all the skill gains and resource gathering at its default level.

I am guessing it would be passworded as well? removes the chance of any grief gangs rolling from server to server as they are doing right now.

4. Duke

This is something we'd have to discuss and come to agreement upon within the Community.

From a purely Community growth standpoint, a passworded Server represents a waste of funds as there is little opportunity to grow it. We can advertise on Twitch and YouTube of course as well as on our Blog but that may only bring in a handful of people at best.

The idea of having a Community run Server is so we can bring people in and grow the Community, anything else represents a waste of money.

If griefers are indeed an issue then my hope is it can be Administered in some way to ensure this cannot happen via Server settings. I'm also hoping that it's something the Dev becomes aware of and alters aspects of either the game or Server side settings to alleviate (or at least minimize).

Again this is something we can discuss but I'd much rather start off Public rather than Passworded. At least this gives us the chance to grow it some prior to Passwording if that becomes necessary.

5. Leftnut

Leftnut Core

In many ways PVE servers are worse for griefing. People will do things such as, pillar and foundation spamming, blocking build sites and npc spawn sites. They will drag mobs to harass and they can be very mouthy in chat because there are no repercussions. PVP servers IMHO actually work better.

In Conan you need to get to lev 20 as quick as you can so you can build a tier 2 wall. Once a player hits 30 and gets steel, tier 1 is useless. This is why you see many people building up and then breaking their stairs when they log off at night.

6. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

There will be admins though.

7. Duke

Added a Poll just to gauge interest in this topic.

If you have the game and voted, please elaborate on why you chose Yes or No in response.

Thank you.

8. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

I voted yes, not too fussed on the server type though as long as we can just enjoy it :) . if it is open and pvp and the same rules as we are already running we run into the same problems we have already with buildings able to be destroyed and being able to be killed while offline . obviously I would like to see a couple of those rules adjusted in the interest of fair play.

9. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Next to that, building up an online character is quite a timesink, so it's always nice to have server ownage into your own hands, instead of pouring in time on a server that might be gone tomorrow ;)
    (+ the fact that you can actively admin it ourselves under a don't be an ass rule, so you can take care of everything leftnut mentioned for example)

10. Duke

We'll have our own Server by Saturday.

I have a few Server providers in mind but if you have any suggestions please make them now.

I'm aiming for a Server Hosted out of either Chicago or NY/NJ as they seem to be the fairest ping based given our NA and European playerbase.

The Server will be 20 slot to start, non-passworded.

Preference going of course to NY/NJ.

Please do not suggest Dallas, past experience has demonstrated Dallas is a terrible Hub at least for Western Canada.

11. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

I guess it's your pick then Duke, looking forward to playing on it :)

12. Duke

So it appears unanimous we want our own Server so I'll look into this closer today.

I'll be on TS really early today (around 1 PM EST) so if you guys want to come on and help me in the decision making process please feel free to do so.

Also, I'd appreciate a few Server Admins so if you're willing to be one please let me know.

Lastly, I'll setup the Server in a manner consistent with what we've chosen here.

Just remember to be patient with me. I haven't' setup or run a Gaming Server in a long, long time so there will be mistakes and plenty of them. Just let me know what they are and we'll tweak to suit.

I think it's important to mention I'd like to do everything possible to keep this a Public Conan Exiles Server. Passwording it means it will never grow and if it does it will be very slow growth based solely on whatever marketing effort we put toward it.

It's a lot of work to grow a Private Server so it's in our best interests to keep it Public.

13. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

I'd be interested in admin, I'll also be idling in TS this evening, see you there :)

14. Kitlope

Kitlope Hardcore

I have mine for another month but will likely be ditching it come the end of March as I should get busy with out of town work. When I need a Conan fix I'll be sure to join B20 server... my recommendation is to keep it PVP and for players to get to level 20 asap. You can even adjust the xp and harvesting rates to make the first 20 go faster if need be... but I would be careful about setting it too high (or too high for too long) as too many entities can become an issue if the server becomes quite popular.

I have mine with Gameservers and other than a couple very minor issues with the server cmd line stuff it's been quite headache free.

15. Duke

That's where we picked up ours from too. I've used them in the past and had no complaints and given it was only $18 CDN for the month it was a no-brainer.

We set up our Conan Exiles Server as PVE though and will see how that goes over the short term. If people decide they want to change it we shouldn't have an issue doing it later.

BTW Kitty, do you know what the proper Community and Location Settings are for the Server.cfg?

16. Duke

17. Kitlope

Kitlope Hardcore

d00k, I'll have to catch you on ts would make things a lot easier. Let me know when you're on

18. Jes_971

Jes_971 Core

There was a game patch today and now I can't connect to the server. Please help!!!

19. Duke

Updating the server now.

20. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Staff Member Admin

Anyone still playing?