1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

B2O iRacing 24 Hours of Spa - July 22, 2017

Discussion in 'iRacing Forum' started by Brainling, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

Yep.

I ran your last setup @Bedo but I took out some preload at the rear and was able to complete my first fuel run.

I can't remember if I took it down to 40 or in the 20's but it certainly made the car more controllable as fuel burned off. The only issue is Eau Rouge for me but if I take it while keeping some throttle input coming up the hill the car is manageable at least.

Overall though I think the car is still a bit squirrely for an Endurance event but it's pretty quick.

2. John Navara

John Navara Casual

I should have let you guys try the setup I had from Craig Williams.

John

3. Duke

If you share it tonight we can give it a run.

4. John Navara

John Navara Casual

I will do that. I should be on sometime after 8:00pm CDT.

John

5. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

I had the same problem as Duke through Eau Rouge on both Bedo's set and my setup that I tried from last year. On Bedo's set it also felt like the car wanted to keep turning (in Pouhon for example). I found the same with the VRS set (meant for cold weather) but I liked that spring set (1 I think).

I changed a few things on the VRS set, mostly lowered the pre-load to 51, and it feels pretty stable for the first n laps. I don't know how it holds up at the end of a stint but even at wing 3 I don't think we're far off a decent endurance set.

Attached Files:

6. Duke

I'm on board with everything you said @Noodleguitar but isn't Spring Set 1 the stiffest option?

I've never run 1 because I struggle in keeping the car pointing forward but will try tonight anyway.

7. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

Yes, spring set 1 has 275 Nm at the front and 250 Nm at the rear I think, so the front is still stiffest, which should make it fairly stable. I think spring set 2 has 225 Nm at the front.

8. SavreticD

SavreticD Core

Just try whole stint on track usage 100% when you guys finish set to be sure,car is different on start and end,at least it was different in my race,track evolve also,keep that in mind.Make sure car is good in Eau Rouge,that is main corner,if you crash there most likely car will be broken

9. SavreticD

SavreticD Core

Noel gears must be on standard,you are losing 2-3kmh on straight without draft.Rear sliding too much even in first few laps(to much for whole stint for rear tires)we will dont have rear tires on half of the stint.Even with wing 4 my rear tires was 66-68% and most of the problems I had in race was on rear,front was ok,I think front tires were on 76-78%.That is why I said rears springs are to hard but we dont have choice because compression in Eau Rouge and bottoming with softer rear springs when car is full with fuel.Keep in mind that

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  10. Duke

With the addition of 1 Wing and Standard gears I was comfortable in the setup after a full fuel run. Double stinting the tires though didn't work so well for me though as I crashed on my first full lap coming out of Eau Rouge.

11. SavreticD

SavreticD Core

Same,I really hope we will not change anything anymore

12. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

I'm surprised short gearing makes such a big difference on the straight, we're not even hitting the red lights by the end of it. Is the power band that low?

The rear tires should be a lot better than on the older sets, because the car rotated a lot more, especially in Pouhon.

13. SavreticD

SavreticD Core

Try,you will see,I was also driving with short 1 year ago and then one driver said that to me,I test that and it is,its slower.Btw short or standard first 3 or 4 gears are the same,gears after are changed but torque is the same.At least that is what I hear and what one of the pro drivers told me so Im just repeating that :) With standard and +1 wing set is good for me.With wing 3 is good maybe for 40min race,its just to much sliding on rear and I dont feel good with it.I can drive but I dont feel good.
    Btw what you mean you dont hit red lights?You hit with short!?

Will you be at practice today Noel?

14. Duke

@Noodleguitar, I'm not stating I gained pace with the gearing adjustment, I just gained better control and consistency (wing) and reverted back to familiar shift points (gearing).

15. John Navara

John Navara Casual

@SavreticD Your setup was awesome last night. Better than the one that I got from CAW. I was getting 2:23's on several laps. While that isn't as speedy as some of you it was better than the other set that I had.

I will be unavailable this weekend for the 24hr of Spa. My son has basketball in Minneapolis and after thinking about it a little more my wife isn't comfortable driving. :(

I'll still hop on practice sessions with you guys for any tips, etc that I can glean from your expertise.

John

16. Duke

Family comes first @John Navara but absolutely feel free to turn laps with us, the more the merrier!

@Brainling, are you still in on this because it would be really good to see you on track buds?

We're out of time and I need to button up the livery as well.

As it stands right now I have @Noodleguitar, @SavreticD, and myself confirmed for Saturday.

Lastly, I can't remember how many laps in a full fuel run but I've coasted into the Pits empty on my runs. Does this mean I want to cut my run a lap short do you think?

17. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

@SavreticD I'm simply not hitting the red lights at the end of the straight, even on short gearing, so I was suprised it's so much slower when you're not even at the end of a gear. I'll try it next time.

I won't be practicing today, but I will be tomorrow.

18. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

@Duke It really depends on how the stints fit into the race. If we can eliminate a stop by saving 1-2 L in a stint it's probably worth it.

19. SavreticD

SavreticD Core

I know I was tested that before and it was like that but I dont remember wing position.Is it much important for you to be on short Noel?
    @John Navara it was not my set,I just ad click wing and standard gearing.Didnt want change anyhing on puropse,its good like that if is good for everybody.It will never be great for all of us but it can be good for all of us and like I sad milion times forget setup,think how you driving,only because driving you can go faster and more safe,not because set.Not you personaly,everybody

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  20. SavreticD

SavreticD Core

And how you guys tag person to get that blue colour?