EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti on Sale - should I buy?

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Currently there's a sale at Canada Computers for the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. The sale is $160 off regular price along with a $20 mail in rebate:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_559&item_id=116939

Currently I'm running an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW so I'm wondering whether or not this card is worth it? It would temporary run in my current PC but move to the new Gaming PC I'm building later this year.

My current aging rig will be relegated to a Streaming PC later in the year hence the reason I'm considering this Video Card now.

The PC I'll be building in the next few months will be a gaming only PC and as such will not have any media recording/streaming requirements.

The requirements of my new Gaming PC :
  • Triple monitor setup with only center monitor powered by Gaming PC. Both side monitors will be powered by the Streaming PC.
  • XSplit, StreamElements, Deepbot, etc., all run from Stream Computer
  • 4K down the road (possibly)
  • Will not be using VR
  • 100 + FPS in ULTRA settings ingame where possible.
So my question is, do you think this card is worth it?

little P

Super Mod
Based on the 4K and 100+fps with ultra settings requirements then a 1070Ti isn't going to cut it d00key I'm afraid. A 1070Ti wouldn't even manage 100+fps @1440p using Ultra settings.

Basing this not off 3rd hand information, I run a 1440p monitor and my 980Ti (which isn't far off a 1070ti) has been able to hit over 60fps in a lot of games but this new breed of games coming out? Not a chance based on the benchmarks I've been reading and running ACC myself. That's why I'm grateful for the g-sync as it is extending the life of my card by years. But this won't help you as you are looking at the streaming side of things so my honest opinion is no, you need to push for a 1080ti at least (which should see some nice price drops soon with the rtx cards coming out), but know that even that card won't net you 100+ fps in 4K. It will @ 1440p in most titles, but not all. Especially not the very latest games with ultra settings.

I'm looking forward to seeing your setup once you've got it all going though!

Deb

Perhaps prices are falling as the next wave hits. Fryes has a similar sale of $459 for the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 0 Ti Gaming 8G Graphics Card - 8 GB GDDR5 - 256-bit - 1632 MHz,

Nejtun

My friend and I both run the same hardware apart from the video card, 16 gig RAM, i7 6700k and a 60hz 4k 28" 1ms Samsung monitor, he has a 1070 ( no ti ) and has no trouble running everything maxed out for most things. Saying that, buying one of the cheaper cards in the range when the range is already old isn't going to give you something that lasts for years to come, it will just be good right now.

If it were me I would wait a bit to see what kind of drop the 1080ti cards get as you will get way more life out of it than a 1070.
Or wait to see what price the 2070 ( if there is one ) comes in at as that will last you a great deal of time and also be as good as any of the ten series cards available now.

I know you want to save as much as reasonably possible but you have said you like to keep your PC for a few years, an older weaker graphics card is going to hit you hardest soonest, Ram can be added to and CPUs can be overclocked. You are kinda stuck with a GPU (if you were planning to overclock a GPU chances are you would get something that was already at the cutting edge in the first place no?)

little P

Super Mod
There's no way a 1070 (no ti) is running everything maxed out @ 4K Netjun... not at any decent framerates anyway (60fps+ minimum). I think your friend is telling porkies either to you or more likely to himself lol

But the rest of your advice I totally agree with!

Nejtun

Wasn't speculating P! that's what he gets on the games that we play, it does what it does , not a card I would recommend still though , it is at its limits.

little P

Super Mod
Wasn't speculating P! that's what he gets on the games that we play, it does what it does , not a card I would recommend still though , it is at its limits.
Nah, not having it. lol ;P

A 1070 can't hit minimum 60fps @4k using Ultra settings in modern titles. Unless he won the silicone lottery and somehow got the most powerful 1070 card in the universe (cue the he-man music) there's just no way. Your friend must have turned some settings down or is getting much lower than minimum 60fps. I've not read a single benchmark test to show that card is capable of 60fps min @4k.

This is just one of many examples, I chose this one as it has a handy comparison tool along with each game benchmark to show the 1070's results @4k.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-09-12-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-benchmarks-7001

A lot of people tend to talk up their cards to justify the expenditure to themselves, I get it. But I don't want d00key going in with a 1070 or even a ti expecting min 60 (let alone 100!) fps @ 4k.

For 1440p yes, it's a great card, but at it's limits.

For 4k? Hell no.

Nejtun

and has no trouble running everything maxed out for most things
this is what i said, I am sure your benchmarks are all good etc etc but I am just telling you what he gets for the games we play.
Also I need to be clear on this card I DO NOT recommend it. I wouldn't use it as it doesn't suit my purposes and It wont be any good for the years down the line that Ken would likely keep his new pc for.

Ken asked " should i get this card "
I say "no, get something better"

Wasn't even going to respond to this post originally as I already threw my opinion out there on TS as everyone has their opinion based on something they have read or perhaps tried so I went in with only results I have seen for myself.

@Kenadian if you want a "fairly " future proof card it needs to be a 1080ti or something better like the 20xx series stuff but as I know you are on a budget the 1080ti is going to be the best bet if you can get one from EVGA cheap enough once they start making their super duper 2080ti

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Thank you for your valuable input all, very much appreciated as always.

@Deb, you're correct that prices have dropped across the board. In checking yesterday the 1080Ti has come down the same amount as the 1070 Ti's:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING 11GB (11G-P4-6393-KR) 1556 MHz Base/ 1670 MHz Boost, PCI-E 3.0: $879.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING 11GB (11G-P4-6593-KR) 1556MHz Base/ 1670MHz Boost, PCI-E 3.0: $929.99

...I don't really know what the big difference is between these cards so I'd likely go with the cheaper of the two?

As for the 4K, I threw it in the mix for really no reason. Currently my needs do not go beyond 1080p Gaming and possibly 900p 60fps Streaming so it's more of a future thing.

I see a potential need for increased resolution in the future but that's a discussion for another day.

Lastly, I have a potential new build in mind which I'll be posting on in the next few days. My needs are quite specific as I have a specific role I want to fill and the PC has to be capable of doing so for the next 4 - 6 years if possible.

Given I'm still using a Computer for Gaming and Streaming that's 5 years old I certainly think the aforementioned is attainable if I buy smart.

New build post coming soon.

Thanks again for all your help here folks, I just couldn't do this without you.

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads