1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

F4 Master experience @ Brands Hatch

Discussion in 'Gaming General & Off Topic' started by little P, Oct 2, 2017.

1. little P

little P Super Mod

Well, the adrenaline is finally starting to subside after an amazing experience at Brands Hatch driving a BMW M4 and F4 single seater along with some hot laps as a passenger with a LeMans Aston Martin driver...

I've only waited 30+ years to do this!

Had the time of my life and was 2nd fastest to a pro 250cc kart driver who joined us for the F4's and was also half my size... not bad I guess considering I barely fit in the thing lol! The BMW M4 instructor was awesome too and let me go for it after the first time round, somehow I lapped everyone before the chequered flag including the 2nd fastest guy, got him when the rain came down towards the end. It was so interesting to feel how the grip levels changed when the rain started to come down and mix with all the rubber the touring cars had laid down less than 24 hours earlier... bit of a handful with 425 bhp and RWD under your right foot :eek: The F4 cars were insane and it was these we were timed in. And the hot laps with an Aston Martin LeMans driver in traffic with other pro drivers was just incredible.

What a day... phew

Anyone that loves motorsport, you owe it to yourself to get on the track however you can, there's nothing quite like it and I'm now officially hooked after this and my rallying day at Brands Hatch's 2 rally stages in a Rally spec GT86 earlier this year. I've already booked to go back for both next year!

Few pics:

22089986_10214105567818076_722027463466138178_n.jpg
    22221503_10214105565818026_1667213874143456021_n.jpg
    20108161_10214105565498018_6880946281366968006_n.jpg
    SIR_2153_15.40 Pink.JPG
    SIR_2459_15.40 Pink.JPG

Had time for a cheeky thumbs up to the photographer after I got the chequered flag and decided to go for victory lap instead of going in the pits with everyone else :p I regret nothing :D

SIR_2522_15.40 Pink.JPG

Noodleguitar, Nejtun and IronDiggy like this.
  2. IronDiggy

IronDiggy Hardcore

Damn that looks like a good time!

little P likes this.
  3. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

Dayum, those are some good cars to play around with on the track. Too bad you weren't allowed to do the full course. Would be interesting to see how fast you can go down the hill (and subsequently, how fast you can get around that right sweeper :p ).

What kind of shifters do those F4s have, sequential or H-shifting?

4. little P

little P Super Mod

It was awesome ID :) And Noodle, the F4's had sequential paddle shifters, the clutch was used only to pull away and come to a stop. Crashing down through the gears braking hard for druids was a great feeling every single time! One thing you can never be prepared for is how cramped it is inside a race car like that, even for the little guys. And flying along at 100mph with your butt scraping along the tarmac is something else.

I can also confirm that paddock hill bend has an absolutely insane drop to it. You can;t tell just how much by watching it on TV or being there trackside. Not even VR can convey the elevation change and how your spine compresses as you hit the bottom part of the hill. When you are going down paddock at speed feeling the g forces it actually made my ears ring. I'm going back next year and will definitely try to go through that corner flat out. I couldn't do it on this occasion as it was raining pretty hard by the time the session ended and the F4 was getting very loose. Not a good combo for trying that with no traction control or abs and aero at work. Also being such a short lap there was quite a bit of traffic. We were only supposed to overtake on the left and on the straights and only if invited. I got invited several times, other times I made my own invitation...

I would love to drive the GP circuit next time. Ironically they have a young drivers scheme with mini's where from the age of 11 they can drive them round the GP circuit... Oh to be a kid again

5. Deb

Deb Moderator

Wow, that looks like so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet the F4 was an incredible experience and on Brands Hatch :D:D:D I agree, driving the tracks in real life is something that everyone should get the experience to do. And I end up liking the tracks that I have actually driven on so much more when I drive the in iRacing. I think the memory of what they are really like enhances the iRacing experience. I know what you mean about the rain, we had rain while I was on the GP Strecke at the Ring, so you have to drive the wet line. Hope to go back again next year and drive the whole thing and hopefully no rain.