Forza Motorsport 7 Demo available today!

little P

Super Mod
I've played and nearly 100% completed every Forza game since Forza 2 waaay back in 2007 and love the series. For me it's a great way to enjoy motorsport gaming in a more casual way.

I used to be the first to shout from the rooftops that Forza was the best sim out there but since experiencing and enjoying Assetto Corsa and iRacing I would definitely park Forza in the "simcade" category, but I also realised that's what makes it so enjoyable for me. It is much more sim than arcade but you can tailor it to exactly how you want it depending on how you feel.

For sure, if you want a hardcore representation of what a car will do in any given situation, then Assetto Corsa or iRacing is your game, but if you want to enjoy all that motorsport gaming has to offer while kicked back with a controller (how I intend to play Forza on PC) on the couch or your chair then Forza is head and shoulders above the Project Cars and Gran Turismo franchises in my opinion. It's handling is second to none and the use of the haptic feedback on the xbox one controllers is great for feeling the where the limit of your brakes and tyres is. I'm very excited to be finally able to play a full Forza game on PC (Forza 6: Apex was good, but more of a beta test for Turn 10 to learn how to develop for PC than a full game).

Anyway, if you do decide to give it a try I have some tips for any newcomers to the Forza series gathered over my time with the Forza series and specifically with the Windows 10 Forza games...

- Make sure you dig around in the options to disable all the assists and hud elements for good immersion and less distractions. This will give you a good feel for the game. You can switch back on the individual hud elements you require in the full game, in the demo it's not really worth it as they are all two lap races.

- Ramp up the difficulty of the ai to it's highest setting. Anything less is too easy if you are used to sim racing.

- Disable the aggression limiter for the ai (makes them more "racey" and they will fight harder for position/make mistakes etc.)

- The game defaults to "dynamic" mode for the graphics. I personally prefer this off. If you have it on you tell the game what resolution and minimum fps you require (30 or 60 for the demo, more in the full game) then it will adjust settings on the fly to hit that figure in game without you seeing what's going on behind the scenes. I personally advise to set it to what you want and run the short 20 second benchmark to see if you hit your target. Adjust from there. It can be slightly jarring sometimes to leave Dynamic mode on but only if you know what to look for. Turn 10 have done a fantastic job of optimizing this game for PC though (as they have done for the upcoming 4K Xbox One X) as I have a modest system by todays standards and can run it in 4K Ultra no problem at all so give it a go.

- To run it as best as you can disable "game mode" in Windows 10 (causes stuttering, seriously Microsoft wth were you thinking), in fact don;t run any Windows 10 store games in game mode, it's garbage. Disable motion blur and also disable camera effects in the options (artificial shaking of the view to simulate g-forces etc.).

I have a 980Ti, i7 2700k and 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz ram. To achieve 4k Ultra settings @ 60fps (the limit of the demo, full game will have frame rate unlocked) I have done the following:

Disable dynamic mode.

Select 4K Ultra settings. Then;

Disable motion blur
Set anti aliasing to 2 x MSAA
Turn off DVR recording
Disable camera effects

That's it, it should run like butter!

If you have windows 10 and are a car nut then give Forza a go if you never have before, the dynamic day/night cycle and weathers (all able to change in-race with this engine) are a joy to experience, with realistic aquaplaning present (so you should be looking for a different line through corners etc.), fantastic sound, incredible visuals and second to none controller functionality (all wheels are supported too) are just some of the reasons I love Forza. Enjoy!

Here are a few quick screenshots I took from today (in game);

Attachments

little P

Super Mod
Well well well. I never thought I'd say this but for the first time since 2007 I won't be buying a Forza game.

The demo has really turned me off.

Reasons:

- Even at 4K and MSAA enabled there are still jaggies and aliasing everywhere. The "crawling" jagged lines are awful and this is unacceptable for me as a PC gamer. The only way to eliminate them is to run 4K at 200% image resolution, good luck running that at anything above 0.2 fps!

- The dynamic day/night cycle and weathers are only available on select tracks, and not many of them. This is also unforgivable and very sneaky of their marketing department. I only found this out by some obscure forum post by a turn 10 dev on their forum.

- Fireworks, confetti cannons and helicopters buzzing you. Just... no. Save that stuff for Forza Horizon, why is it in Forza Motorsport?

- I'm really disapppointed. The demo and the information I found out that they don't want you to know has lead to me cancelling my £79.99 pre-order for the ultimate edition and picking up Project Cars 2 for £35.99

I will leave feedback for Project Cars 2 in a separate thread after playing it tonight...

Nejtun

Shame about Forza , your screenshots had me drooling a bit !
Really interested to know how Pcars2 is , if you could please try a race with the AI on difficult , at a track where braking is very important ( Le Mans ) and let me know how they react.

If you get a chance to try the multiplayer I am very interested to see how their safety rating/skill rating system works for you
Cheers ! :D

little P

Super Mod
Shame about Forza , your screenshots had me drooling a bit !
Really interested to know how Pcars2 is , if you could please try a race with the AI on difficult , at a track where braking is very important ( Le Mans ) and let me know how they react.

If you get a chance to try the multiplayer I am very interested to see how their safety rating/skill rating system works for you
Cheers ! :D
Unfortunately Project Cars 2 just got refunded. Spent some time with it and immediately hated it. It's an arcade game through and through. If anyone thinks of calling it a "sim" they are sorely mistaken and have obviously never tried Assetto Corsa or iRacing.

It's horrible dude. The handling is awful, there's no feel from the front tyres, the sound is awful, so artificial sounding. It's hard to describe but it just feels like something you would put a pound in at the local arcade. That's the best way I can put it... I'm so disappointed with both of them BUT I still have Assetto Corsa with all it's free content from race department.com and iRacing if I ever want to get back in to that particular rabbit hole. Forza and Project Cars 2 are games for kids. That's very clear now after trying both. They both look incredible, but it's like a woman who's spent all her time on make up and getting her hair done, but has no personality when you get beyond the initial looks. What a shame...

I'm going to pass on both of these for now unless they are heavily discounted. And I mean heavily.

Nejtun

Well.....
Thanks for saving me the heartache of trying both of those out but damn, I was so hoping at least one of these new titles was going to be awesome, nothing wrong with iracing but it would be nice to have something to give them some competition on the multiplayer front.

little P

Super Mod
Okay I'm going to eat my words here. I've re-pre-ordered Forza. Here's why;

- I was a bit of a div and had my graphics set wrong. Now I've got them right my god is this is abeautiful game. And not a hint of aliasing in sight... That was on me that one and I'm glad I looked in to it and fixed it as something really didn't look right to me with first impressions. The resolution scaling option was set too low by mistake - doh! Now I've got that sorted it really is the best looking racer I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

- The confetti cannons are only on their imaginary "showcase" track in Dubai. It does have a dynamic sand running across the track which can affect grip levels which is actually cool and something I didn't know they'd put in. None of the real tracks are going to have these confetti cannons aparrantly so I'm good with that. It was a bit nit picky in the first place to be honest... I was having a bad day :oops:

- The dynamic weather and day/night issue I had with the game was a very old post and has since changed, so that was wrong information.

All adds up to: me buying it again and looking forward to playing it on the 29th!

I'll spend a couple days with it and give an informed opinion on here then (which is unlike me I know I normally make my mind up in 5 minutes lol) as this game will be huge and there will be a lot to see and do... :D

Nejtun

Come on P ! don't play with my computer games emotions this way! anyway, does this work in VR ? and why cant i find a place to buy it ???:confused:

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads