iRacing December Update Update

Tony Gardner said:
As usual dozens of things are in development and production, a portion of which will be in the next quarterly update.

We are about three weeks away from the update. We will not be releasing Global Rally Cross prior to that to answer that question. However, the graphics, modeling, physics, cars, tracks, new functionality are in very good shape and ready to go. We are still tweaking away on numerous minor details in certain areas like race control, spotter commands, etc. We have done plenty of testing, and we have received great real-world driver feedback which we have incorporated. To cut to the chase, there is a strong likelihood GRC will be in the coming build. This initial rollout should feature three tracks with one of the tracks being an iRacing free track and having two circuits. All of the GRC tracks are circuits within other tracks, so if you already own those, there is nothing to buy in regard to tracks. We are releasing two different GRC cars initially, with one car being free. To answer another question, Yes, feel free to take an F1 car or any car off a GRC jump, I’m sure the suspension will be just fine.

We also are planning on releasing heat racing in the next update. The plan is to have some official series setup for heat racing including GRC, dirt ovals and short pavement ovals. We are also striving to have heat racing ready for use in hosted racing, but there is still some web development left to do so there is no guarantee on that for the build. It is the goal, however.

We also are planning to release the new dirt oval and dirt road license types. In regard to the Dirt Road license, everyone will be starting from scratch as rookies, for the new dirt oval license, we came up with a different convention that I explained in a forum post a while ago that member seemed to like.

We also plan on releasing a new dirt midget car and a new dirt track, Knoxville, however still some shining up going on for both.

There has been a physics update on the stock cars which testers are really liking.

The plan is to release pit crew animation for all the high-level stock cars. It looks great. I think about 10 cars off the top of my head. Could also be further hand-over-hand animation as well for additional cars in this update.

A variety of upgrades and improvements to the new UI.

Well, these are some of the bigger items that are strong candidates for this build but there are also dozens of smaller items and details which sometimes people like the best.

There is certainly much more in the works. No, we have not forgotten about road cars (numerous cars in various stages of production) or tracks, oval content, improvements to existing content, day-to-night transitions, new damage model, physic upgrades and tire improvements, sound improvements, new and improved graphics and several other significant developments not yet mentioned. All those things and much more are in full development. Many more quarterly updates to come.

Thanks for all your support!
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3579546.page

Yes, I'm not sure what to expect but I'm definitely interested in trying it out. But it's not something I see myself switching to as a main series.

What is the heat racing they are talking about? Is that something like timed rally stages?

Yes, I'm not sure what to expect but I'm definitely interested in trying it out. But it's not something I see myself switching to as a main series.

What is the heat racing they are talking about? Is that something like timed rally stages?
Tony Gardner said:
We also are working on heat racing functionality for both official racing and hosted racing. Much more on this soon but this new functionality also has a good chance of rolling out this year. We are ideally rolling this capability out with Rally Cross racing for example. We would also set up some dirt oval and short track pavement series with this new functionality! (When the timing is right, for example at the start of a new season).

Although each series does things a little differently, heat racing generally would work very similar to the way it works in the real world and includes some nice functional flexibility. Heat racing, for those not familiar, is short races leading up to the main feature race (A-Main) or the consolation race (B-Main). In iRacing, the mini-tournament would all be part of a single session and the whole thing might last for example 45 minutes. For official racing, it would still be part of an overall series.
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3573961.page#10712802

These things are fun. They also dialed back the incident points a lot. You can wreck your car completely and still be at 0x after the race.

I'm a bit meh about the Heat racing implementation, not sure what to think of it. I was expecting that these were done in parallel to each other. But they are done one by one. Depending on how you do in the races, you are currently sitting around about half of the session twiddling your thumbs.

Also, on Phoenix, the qualify session will put you into the pits of the oval, not the starting location of the actual rally cross track. Turn left before the truck to enter the track.

I'm a bit meh about the Heat racing implementation, not sure what to think of it. I was expecting that these were done in parallel to each other. But they are done one by one. Depending on how you do in the races, you are currently sitting around about half of the session twiddling your thumbs.
From an iRacing staffer:

Randy Cassidy said:
I think I've mentioned "parallel" heats a long while ago, in some other thread. No, that's not on the radar. It'd basically mean taking all of our "race control" code, and rewriting it so that there can be as many separate copies of it running at once as there can be simultaneous race sessions. Including having N separate pace cars. Plus, the way the track runs-in would be wonky, particularly on dirt.

I had briefly looked into letting drivers drive as a "spectator" in sessions in which they're not to participate, but it wasn't straightforward. I might revisit that. Typically, the heat and consolation races within a heat race event are pretty short. So while there will definitely be some waiting, it hopefully will be bearable.
So it seems like it wasn't feasible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dipeshmetier
Top Bottom