1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse Purchase

Discussion in 'Gaming Hardware' started by Duke, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

As of last week my well used and abused Logitech G500 started randomly shutting off during gameplay. It would go as far as to prompt Windows to notify me of "Found new Hardware" each and every time it would come back up.

The interruptions were only a few seconds long each time but the interval between connection loss would accelerate the more I played.

After determining it was not a USB related problem I focused on the mouse using the Francis method to locate fault:

I'm currently using a very old Logitech mouse with a shitty right button and in dire need of replacement. Of note is the fact the mouse has not cut out once it's just a shitty, outdated, partially functional mouse is all.

After reading a lot of reviews I settled on the Logitech G502 Proteus Core which above all else was $20 off at NCIX: http://www.ncix.com/detail/logitech-g502-proteus-core-tunable-b1-96227.htm?promoid=1630

The only thing I'm even slightly concerned about is the feet on the G502 Proteus as I've heard they can wear pretty quickly. I'm using a cloth mouse mat so hopefully that isn't an issue but we'll have to wait and see.

Anyone have experience with the Logitech G502 Proteus Core?

Cpl. Punishment likes this.
  2. Cpl. Punishment

Cpl. Punishment Super Mod

Gawjammit! Man...Francis is such a legend lol

Is he still alive?!

Nice mouse choice d00key. I personally love my Corsair M65 for many reasons but not least for the "sniper" button that instantly lowers your dpi to whatever you want it to be as you hold it with your thumb until you let go. Very handy in shooters :D

Plus it's RGB and yaknow. Gots to have me some pretty colours yo.

Skid_Marc_ likes this.
  3. Brainling

Brainling Core

I love my Proteus Core. Can't say enough good things about it. Big thumbs up from me.

4. IronDiggy

IronDiggy Hardcore

I don't have the 502, but I did pick up the Logitech Pro Gaming mouse a few months ago. I've been using it on a cloth mat with no issue on foot wear, usually its textured plastic pads that just destroy mouse feet. I looked at the 502 but as someone that uses more of a claw grip for gaming an ergo mouse didn't make much sense.

One thing I did notice is the mouse buttons on logitech mice are super light now, I was constantly right clicking by accident just placing too much weight on the button resting my finger on it. Compared to my old Zowie mouse the buttons are like hair triggers.

5. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

I have the g502 , mostly used on a razer mouse mat ( the silicone one and the clothy one) it is an excellent shape and fits larger hands very well.
    Personal preference only can tell you about the side buttons , but I think they are well placed, it has DPI controls on the mouse as "out of the way " buttons.

My only problem was with the middle mouse button not working all the time as it should , but I don't use this button much anyway and I think i was just unlucky ( you asked why I didn't RMA it, I just don't care about his button enough )

Dunno about this thing with the feet, havent had to so much as clean the bottom of this mouse since I have had it and it still glides about like new. I have been using this for 2 years+

Personally though, I like the feel and sturdyness of Razer's products better but they are made for small hands so this is a good second.

Last thing, and something I would not do without on any future mouse purchase is the braided cord, never gets hung up or messes with precision movement. If the price is right then snap one up and if you end up hating it , post it to me :) I would like a fresh one :D

6. Kinger

Kinger Core

I must be a complete idiot as I just can't bring myself to paying $60, $70, $80 or more for a mouse. I just use a little ol' Logitech M705 :)

7. Duke

I used to feel the same way about paying extra for video cards, power supplies, CPU's, Motherboards, Cases, Cooling Solutions and just about everything PC related.

Cpl. Punishment likes this.
  8. Kinger

Kinger Core

I know what you mean.......KB and mouse are about the only "cheap" things I keep on my PC.

9. Brainling

Brainling Core

I don't even use cheap keyboards. Mechanical keyboards all the way. I'll never got back to a cheap ass keyboard.

Skid_Marc_, Cpl. Punishment and Duke like this.
  10. Duke

Same here. I paid close to $160 for my Max Mechanical and it's easily the best keyboard I've ever used.

I'll never purchase anything other than mechanical for gaming again.

Cpl. Punishment and Brainling like this.
  11. Cpl. Punishment

Cpl. Punishment Super Mod

Yup, Corsair Strafe RGB mechanical with cherry red silent keys here. I regret nothing.

Skid_Marc_ and Duke like this.
  12. Skid_Marc_

Skid_Marc_ Staff Member Admin

I pretty much started out with the same setup. M65 but I used the K75 over the Strafe. Loved the build quality. I enjoyed having something metal in my hands over something plastic! Gave up on the K75 though, because I couldn't stand the Cherry Red Silent switches. Absolute mush to me. Switched to a Razer Chroma and enjoy Razer's switches a lot more!

I like the M65, but its pretty simple. Not as many buttons as that Logitech, but hefty and solid. I also use all of the weights screwed into the bottom of it, but if you're worried that a metal mouse would be heavy, you can r.

13. Jeeve79

Jeeve79 TS3 SA

I have the G502 but not a proteus core version. Its the best mouse i have ever owned. The sensor on the razers arent bad but Logitech is way stronger built and amazing sensor. I destroyed LMB on Razer Deathadder by boosting in Rocket league. Anyone who wants precision and speed for controlling their favorite game must have a good gaming mouse. U wont believe the difference it makes.

14. Duke

I've had the G502 now for a few weeks and can certainly echo Jeff's sentiment, the mouse is truly amazing! I wasn't a big fan of the stealth fighter design of it as it looks as if it would be uncomfortable but surprisingly enough it may be the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.

I've finally acclimated to the mouse button that my thumb was brushing against and no longer even notice it.

...although I still haven't used that button yet but will probably map it to something vital ingame given it's close proximity.

It travels so well against my cloth mouse pad as well and has the perfect amount of drag and "stop on a dime" feel.

The only thing I know I'll never like is the scroll wheel. It really should be covered in rubber or something as the metal feel of it is awful.

This is a very small issue in the grand scheme of things so if you're looking for a new gaming mouse with excellent precision and feel this could be the mouse for you.

Incidentally, I'm still amazed at how light the touch required to click the mouse buttons.