1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

Soma

Discussion in 'Role Playing Games' started by Shilka, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Soma is an upcoming sci-fi horror game by Frictional Games, creators of Amnesia and Penumbra, so certainly no strangers to making horror games.

The game takes place in and around an under water facility called PATHOS-2. You'll basicly be struggling for survival, while making your way through the station, making decisions that will determine its fate.

PreviewScreen_09.jpg

Gameplay consists of the typical 'flee, not fight' mechanics, and at times puzzle like elements to advance through the surroundings. So gameplay not unlike Alien Isolation, where you'll be either running, sneaking or hiding, while at the same times figuring out light puzzles, clues and the likes. On the way you'll investigate documents, notes, drawings, listen to audio logs as well as log in computers to get a grasp of what's happening. There's more ways the story can be fed to you, but I won't spoil that here.

[video=youtube;v31S64A6K9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v31S64A6K9U[/video]

Getting spotted and failing to flee won't lead to frustrating complete replays of sections you just played through, but will have increasingly ill side effects, that you can cure yourself from however.

Personally I didn't want to dig too deep for contents of the game, as I would like to stay as unspoiled as I can myself, but from watching screens and especially the gameplay trailer I'm heavily expecting for me to like this game. It does mean however I don't have a lot more info on this game to share with you, but you're free to dig around for previews on the web if you want to know more.

PreviewScreen_08.jpg

The game has relative low system requirements for a 2015 game, so do not expect ultimate next gen graphics. However, I like when a new game doesn't need crazy specs, and judging from the footage I've seen, you clearly don't need to have a titan to experience a game that still looks good and is very atmospheric and immersive, which is way more important for a sci-fi horror game then having razor sharp imagery anyway.

The price is right too, €28 at steam, with currently a 10% preorder discount on top of that.

Best way to get an impression of this game is watching this gameplay footage, which, since it contains gameplay, contains some spoilers by default;

[video=youtube;syhcF0Mx0j0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syhcF0Mx0j0[/video]

SOMA is set to release September 22nd. (PC/PS4)

System requirements:

• MINIMUM:
      • Processor: iCore i3 / AMD A6
      • Memory: 4 GB RAM
      • Graphics: Mid-range NVIDIA GeForce 400 series / AMD Radeon HD 5000 series with 1GB VRAM.
      • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
      • Additional Notes: Integrated Intel graphics cards are not supported.

• RECOMMENDED:
      • Processor: iCore i5 / AMD FX
      • Memory: 8 GB RAM
      • Graphics: High-range NVIDIA GeForce 400 series / AMD Radeon HD 8000 series with 2GB VRAM.
      • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
      • Additional Notes: Integrated Intel graphics cards are not supported.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

3. little P

little P Super Mod

nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope... nope.

4. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Care to elaborate? Or did alien:isolation leave you without spare underwear?

5. Wapwap

Wapwap Staff Member Admin

lol. I remember a video on Twitch of P playing Alien: Isolation Alt+F4'ing out of the game while being hunted by some creature.

Not that i'm a hero. Not getting this game. This shit is way too scary.

6. D.O.A.

D.O.A. Hardcore

I have seen a Amnesia : a Machine for Pigs playthrough on the youtubes , that seriously freaked me the F out.
    If this is anything like that then i only have two words for you : Hell No !!

7. little P

little P Super Mod

Yeah pretty much what Wappy and DOA said. I just can't handle games like this anymore. After completing Mad Max I'm going to give Alien: Isolation another go I think tonight. I got really stuck on the story, and kept getting brutally murdered in various horrible ways. I was always curious to see where the story was heading though so will dive back into it. I'll stream it again with voice this time so you can hear me scream like a little girl, or possible a whole string of swear words and the sound of me crapping my pants :icon_lol:

8. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Downloading this now... As far as I've read, the game is very atmospheric with detailed surroundings and excellent moody lighting and awesome sound, the spoonfed storyline turns out to be great too, and the most criticism I'm reading in reviews is about the game not being as scary as amnesia, and a few find the stealth system to be a bit too much trial and error like. All in all the game is well received, so giving this a go :)

Will report back later!

9. little P

little P Super Mod

Stream it! (With voice) :p

10. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Nah, it will look horrible with my upload...

11. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

After 2 hours in I must say I really like this game. It's not scary in the way like Alien, which is more jumpscares. The scary bit in SOMA is more a slow build up by having the right atmosphere, a slow build up of smothering pressure, slow increase of feeling unease.

The sounds in this game are absolutely awesome, stuff you can hear in rooms next door, in the ducts above you, sparks of electricity, dripping goo, a distant shout, alien sounds around the corner, running sounds. Suspense builds up like being wrapped in a blanket, slowely making it harder to breathe. You feel unsafe, even when you're in reality walking through a corridor where nothing happens, it is realy well done.

Lighting is really well done, interactive, and actually actively used not only to create atmosphere, but also to make the atmosphere change.

Moving around is smooth, and handling objects feels natural where you can grab stuff, handles, doors by grabbing stufff with left mouse button, then moving the mouse in the direction you want to move the object.

So far it feels really immersive, even despite the grab icons that show up. I really like gameplay as well. Being investigative and checking all corners actually pays off, and helps you progress, as well as understand what's happening, bit by bit, as well as envoke philosiphal thoughts about, well humanity. It feels so much more logical then other games where you deviate from what you should be doing just to pick up collectibles, coins or whatever thought up incentive to explore while ignoring what the storyline tells you to do.
    In SOMA, it makes sense to explore everything, despite the feeling of being in danger when doing so. It helps you to solve the puzzles, advance, get the story, it feels rewarding, and frankly, if you'd just run blindly through the levels you'll soon be frustrated by being stuck at the next doorway.

So far, I can only recommend this game...

12. little P

little P Super Mod

Nice write up Shilka.

I'm all out of fresh pants so can't play it unfortunately. It's bad enough having to turn them inside out every day.

13. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

I played some more. Where at first I was able to handle things, I got to the point where I hit esc-save&exit. F me, these guys know how to build up atmosphere to a point where it really gets to you. Waiting for my heartbeat rate to go down now... I'll try to play more later... perhaps even much later, lol.

14. little P

little P Super Mod

Holy mother mary of soiled pants I could only play this for an hour. I jumped out of my chair on several occasions and my heart is now pounding. I've had to stop and like I said it's only an hour in. This is a seriously scary f****** experience. It's not a game, games are fun. This is a nightmare inducing horror experience. I can't say I like it because I don't particularly like soiling myself but it is bloody effective at scaring the s*** out of you. Soma is really quite unsettling. :confused:

15. Jeeve79

Jeeve79 TS3 SA

Your reaction reminds me of "Alien Isolation". That is scary as f***.

16. Skid_Marc_

Skid_Marc_ Staff Member Admin

I don't like playing these kinds of games, or watching horror films because I dont like trying to give myself a heart attack. I do, however watch a LOT of youtubers play horror games because they're popular and I like my Youtubers.

So Markiplier played this game, and I can't really remember too many jump scares, they are there and there are other more drawn out moments of great distress, but IIRC it had a good pacing to it, and unlike a lot of horror games that I hate watching, it doesnt overuse jumpscares. I remember it more for its disturbing narrative as you slowly figure out whats going on, and if you are really into the story, I suggest you keep playing, because what you learn is facinating. Either way, you're right. Jump scares or no, the game will leave you extremely unsettled.

17. little P

little P Super Mod

Only two jump scares in that first hour, like you say it's more about the deep sense of unease it gives you. I don't want to play it anymore lol

It got me that much I didn't sleep properly last night, but I'm not really good with horror anyway in general, movies or games.

18. Skid_Marc_

Skid_Marc_ Staff Member Admin

Yeah, it will do that, but I appreciated that it has a very deep thought provoking story to it and it isnt just a horror game that scares you for the scare. I doubt you've scratched the true unsettling part of the game. :)

Good luck, P! Hope you stick with it!

19. Kenadian

Kenadian Staff Member Site Admin

I really wonder if I should give this a go? Even The Vanishing of Ethan Carter managed to give me a fright now and then, Soma may kill me by the sounds of things.

20. little P

little P Super Mod

Only buy it if you intend to stream it. I want to watch you play this game and see if you get scared shi*less like me lol

ElektroVodka and Skid_Marc_ like this.