1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

[Special Event] 2018 iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona

Discussion in 'iRacing Forum' started by Skid_Marc_, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Fromthenavy

Fromthenavy TS3 SA

Filled in my times for availability. Looking to get some more practice in the next few days and this weekend.
    Still have a bit of a head cold so not looking like I'll turn some laps tonight.

Skid_Marc_ likes this.
  2. Slider

Slider Hardcore

@Skid_Marc_ that is completely fine with me. If anything, I'm a bit more current on the Ford than C7. My whole department has been put on a highly recommended (just about mandatory) overtime of 2h each day plus 8-10 hours on Saturdays, but I will not work on 20th, so my practice will be this weekend. Come race day, I'll probably be a bit tired, but I'll get in bed nice and early for the start.

Skid_Marc_ likes this.
  3. Brainling

Brainling Core

Not sure why I thought that set was good, it was not, it was bad. I made wholesale changes to it:

Dropped the overall ride height, kept the rake.
    Softened up the front and rear ARB
    Tightened the spring rate slightly
    Dropped the wing to 0.
    Upped the preload to 120
    Stuck another clutch plate in it

Now it gets over 280 at start finish and feels pretty stable to me. There is more speed in it, but I think this is a much better base at the weather we're racing at.

Attached Files:

Skid_Marc_ likes this.
  4. Skid_Marc_

Skid_Marc_ Staff Member Admin

Still waiting on availability from @John Navara, but I do see an issue with the Ferrari team, and that is a massive 5 hour hole from 00:00-05:00 EST where only Matt @Brainling is available to drive. The price of having an all NA team, I know those early hours suck, but Matt is definitely going to need some help here.. @Deb @reid?

5. Brainling

Brainling Core

I can certainly do a triple stint, but a quintuple stint? Not really sure my knees or bladder would handle it.

Skid_Marc_ likes this.
  6. John Navara

John Navara Core

As I mentioned on the 5th I am out for the 24hr of Daytona. That was after there were only 3 drivers signed up for the 488.

John

7. Skid_Marc_

Ahh, I missed this post, my apologies!

8. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

lol I didn't realize my comms were that bad late at night.

I just assumed they were consistently bad all times throughout the day.

9. Deb

Deb Moderator

Yeah, Bedo and I drove it Wednesday night and we were both 1 sec to 1.5 sec. slower than baseline with just a few adjustments like 0 wing and TP, turn in kind of sucked and seemed to drag on straight. Anyway, I'll give your revised set a try likely Saturday since tonight is league night. Honestly, we were both faster in the revised baseline, so I'll test this set against that and see where I come out.

10. Deb

Deb Moderator

John, Do you think you'll have time to run a couple of stints now that there are more drivers or are you still out?

11. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

@Skid_Marc_ didn't we have a post somewhere that indicated where the Official Sponsorship Decals were to be placed for racing events?

12. Deb

Deb Moderator

BRAVO!!!!! This setup seems great from my initial run! Was consistently down in the low 1.42s with full fuel and no draft. I will test it in a HS later, but it seems very driveable. My optimal is down in the 1.41s and I think I can get there :)

I think the way to get this car through the bus stop is to be on the brakes a little harder early before entry and on throttle through the bus stop. I don't think you can be full on throttle at the beginning but can be gentle and build. Seems to be much faster. Seems throughout you need to be on throttle early in this car, like apex at the latest.

13. Ryan Walker

Ryan Walker Casual

I will start doing more practice tomorrow and try to do a full fuel run to see how long a tank lasts.

14. Brainling

Brainling Core

Woot, glad that worked better. I practiced most of the afternoon and came up with a v3. This changes the front end a bit to get forward bite. Should drive basically the same other than that. Just better turn in and a touch better top speed before turn 1 because of some gearing. I was consistently doing 1:42.5 range on race representative track (100% track state, default weather). My optimal is also in the 1:41's. It would be faster on a less worked in track I think. I did a full fuel run and it felt really good all the way until the end, I never felt out of control or like the tires were undrivable. With GTE's changing tires every stop now I think the stability is good for the long run.

If it's a bit too much forward bite, I can blend the v2 and v3 together I think. It's mostly front suspension geometry changes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  15. Skid_Marc_

Probably. Sounds like a handy thing I would have done. Unfortunately, it will probably be easier to just find over again. What car are you looking for? Corvette is done, by default, btw.

16. John Navara

John Navara Core

Deb,

I am out for the race with B2O at this time. When the numbers dropped to where there wasn't going to be a 488GTE car I hadn't planned on driving. The Geodesic people asked if I wanted to drive in their 3rd car so I agreed to do that. I didn't know that people would move around to different cars and I thought I was out of luck. Sorry!!!

John

Skid_Marc_ likes this.
  17. Deb

Deb Moderator

Okay, I'll try this later today.

18. Deb

Deb Moderator

Okay, too bad, totally get it though :)

John Navara likes this.
  19. Skid_Marc_

Just glad you got a ride, John! GL to your team! Hope you finish right on one of our GTE's rear bumper! :D:p

John Navara likes this.
  20. Ryan Walker

Ryan Walker Casual

I should be around tonight doing some practice with the Ford at 20:30 GMT.