Fromthenavy

TS3 SA
Filled in my times for availability. Looking to get some more practice in the next few days and this weekend.
Still have a bit of a head cold so not looking like I'll turn some laps tonight.

Slider

Hardcore
@Skid_Marc_ that is completely fine with me. If anything, I'm a bit more current on the Ford than C7. My whole department has been put on a highly recommended (just about mandatory) overtime of 2h each day plus 8-10 hours on Saturdays, but I will not work on 20th, so my practice will be this weekend. Come race day, I'll probably be a bit tired, but I'll get in bed nice and early for the start.

Brainling

Hardcore
Not sure why I thought that set was good, it was not, it was bad. I made wholesale changes to it:

Dropped the overall ride height, kept the rake.
Softened up the front and rear ARB
Tightened the spring rate slightly
Dropped the wing to 0.
Upped the preload to 120
Stuck another clutch plate in it

Now it gets over 280 at start finish and feels pretty stable to me. There is more speed in it, but I think this is a much better base at the weather we're racing at.

Attachments

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Still waiting on availability from @John Navara, but I do see an issue with the Ferrari team, and that is a massive 5 hour hole from 00:00-05:00 EST where only Matt @Brainling is available to drive. The price of having an all NA team, I know those early hours suck, but Matt is definitely going to need some help here.. @Deb @reid?

I am going to drop out. My wife was hesitant in the first place and this just puts icing on the cake. Plus getting used to the new wheel might take some time as well.

I will plan to be on TS to spot for a group if necessary. The only thing I won't do is the overnight with Ken as he is a little giddy when he's tired. I cannot remember how many stupid things we laughed at last year in the wee hours of the morning during LeMans.

John
As I mentioned on the 5th I am out for the 24hr of Daytona. That was after there were only 3 drivers signed up for the 488.

John

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
lol I didn't realize my comms were that bad late at night.

I just assumed they were consistently bad all times throughout the day.

Deb

Not sure why I thought that set was good, it was not, it was bad. I made wholesale changes to it:

Dropped the wing to 0.
Upped the preload to 120

Now it gets over 280 at start finish and feels pretty stable to me. There is more speed in it, but I think this is a much better base at the weather we're racing at.

Yeah, Bedo and I drove it Wednesday night and we were both 1 sec to 1.5 sec. slower than baseline with just a few adjustments like 0 wing and TP, turn in kind of sucked and seemed to drag on straight. Anyway, I'll give your revised set a try likely Saturday since tonight is league night. Honestly, we were both faster in the revised baseline, so I'll test this set against that and see where I come out.

Deb

As I mentioned on the 5th I am out for the 24hr of Daytona. That was after there were only 3 drivers signed up for the 488.

John
John, Do you think you'll have time to run a couple of stints now that there are more drivers or are you still out?

Deb

Dropped the wing to 0.
Upped the preload to 120

BRAVO!!!!! This setup seems great from my initial run! Was consistently down in the low 1.42s with full fuel and no draft. I will test it in a HS later, but it seems very driveable. My optimal is down in the 1.41s and I think I can get there :)

I think the way to get this car through the bus stop is to be on the brakes a little harder early before entry and on throttle through the bus stop. I don't think you can be full on throttle at the beginning but can be gentle and build. Seems to be much faster. Seems throughout you need to be on throttle early in this car, like apex at the latest.

Brainling

Hardcore
Woot, glad that worked better. I practiced most of the afternoon and came up with a v3. This changes the front end a bit to get forward bite. Should drive basically the same other than that. Just better turn in and a touch better top speed before turn 1 because of some gearing. I was consistently doing 1:42.5 range on race representative track (100% track state, default weather). My optimal is also in the 1:41's. It would be faster on a less worked in track I think. I did a full fuel run and it felt really good all the way until the end, I never felt out of control or like the tires were undrivable. With GTE's changing tires every stop now I think the stability is good for the long run.

If it's a bit too much forward bite, I can blend the v2 and v3 together I think. It's mostly front suspension geometry changes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
@Skid_Marc_ didn't we have a post somewhere that indicated where the Official Sponsorship Decals were to be placed for racing events?
Probably. Sounds like a handy thing I would have done. Unfortunately, it will probably be easier to just find over again. What car are you looking for? Corvette is done, by default, btw.

John, Do you think you'll have time to run a couple of stints now that there are more drivers or are you still out?
Deb,

I am out for the race with B2O at this time. When the numbers dropped to where there wasn't going to be a 488GTE car I hadn't planned on driving. The Geodesic people asked if I wanted to drive in their 3rd car so I agreed to do that. I didn't know that people would move around to different cars and I thought I was out of luck. Sorry!!!

John

Deb

Woot, glad that worked better. I practiced most of the afternoon and came up with a v3. This changes the front end a bit to get forward bite. Should drive basically the same other than that. Just better turn in and a touch better top speed before turn 1 because of some gearing. I was consistently doing 1:42.5 range on race representative track (100% track state, default weather). My optimal is also in the 1:41's. It would be faster on a less worked in track I think. I did a full fuel run and it felt really good all the way until the end, I never felt out of control or like the tires were undrivable. With GTE's changing tires every stop now I think the stability is good for the long run.

If it's a bit too much forward bite, I can blend the v2 and v3 together I think. It's mostly front suspension geometry changes.
Okay, I'll try this later today.

Deb

Deb,

I am out for the race with B2O at this time. When the numbers dropped to where there wasn't going to be a 488GTE car I hadn't planned on driving. The Geodesic people asked if I wanted to drive in their 3rd car so I agreed to do that. I didn't know that people would move around to different cars and I thought I was out of luck. Sorry!!!

John

Okay, too bad, totally get it though :)

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Deb,

John
Just glad you got a ride, John! GL to your team! Hope you finish right on one of our GTE's rear bumper! :D:p

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads