Deb

We had a couple of connection issues during Debs last stint as well. Wasn't pretty to watch either.
That was so damn scary!!!!!!!!! Latency issues, stuttering, lost my relative box and my delta bar, cars flying through the air! I thought I was going to get booted from the server. Fortunately, nothing too bad happened except a loss of some time. Went on for 2 laps though, so I have no lap time for 2 laps in my last stint.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Sure thing! Although, linking to Bathurst or Daytona might be a little prettier. Can you lock the sheet down to make it a view only sheet? Now that the event is over, it doesn't need to be edited but there is no reason not to share it!

Edit: I didn't read far enough through the thread before posting this... lol

So here’s some thoughts of the race, from my perspective and memory anyway…

The B2O Ferrari 488GT3 endurance “B” team, driving car number 22 “Perseverance”, crossed the finish line with all the other teams as planned after 24 grueling hours of driving and pit time. Although far from the front and down many laps due to some very unfortunate technical issues, on course mishaps and a little bad luck, the success of the team comes from putting the nose of the car across the white line under a checkered flag. And as we all know, endurance racing isn’t just about a win, but sometimes just survival alone.

So, I wasn’t around for the start, but from what I know when I did check in for my stint 2 hours in, it looks like Michael’s first stint went OK, but then in his second stint we had an accident due to another car binning it, which caused us 25 minutes of repairs early on. From there, I took over and about 4 laps into my stint (#3/24) my PC crashed straight to a black screen ending my stint prematurely, putting the car in the pits and requiring Dino to jump in and start his first double stint (#4-5/24). After Dino’s stints I took over again and made it 2 laps in when the PC crashed again. At this point I was offline dealing with my issues so didn’t see much for a bit, but it sounds like it was 2 steps forward, one step back with little issues from minor wall contact causing steering issues, to a misjudged call to either tow it or drive the car back to the pits resulting in a blown engine. It's a bummer that issues kept biting us in the ass, as I know for a fact we were not driving out of our limits. Loss of concentration or nerves, perhaps, but this was not irrational or dangerous driving by any means. Minus the incident with the other car in the beginning of the race, we were flawless in passing and getting passed throughout the event, and can say the team did exceptionally well despite our own misfortunes.

Later into the night, when things started to look like the winds were changing in our favor, on the final lap of an eventless stint, on the final back section of the track I clipped a “clippable” kerb just the right amount of wrong which threw my car into a Tokyo Drift into the right wall, deflecting me back across the track and into the left wall and flipping me 4 wheels up. The clip in the forum shows how ridiculous that outcome was, and that it probably shouldn’t have been that bad of a mishap, and probably just some flat spins in the grass. In any event, another 27 minutes added to the pit clock, and morale taking yet another small hit.

The next couple of hours of stints seemed OK as far as I know and then I jumped back in around 1am (#18/24). At this point I think Dino was gone for the night due to power issues in his neighborhood, and Michael and Reese were getting their much needed nap time, leaving the later stage laps a question mark if we’d even have the drivers to finish. Back to what was to be my final stint, yet again, halfway into my stint my PC crashed putting the car back in the pits to sit quietly for a bit. I spent the next 2.5 hours in TS with everyone while digging deeper into my computer issues and finally around 4 am, got stable benchmarks and with no other scheduled drivers standing by decided to take her back out on track. (This time, my PC decided she was done being cranky and came back firing on all cylinders.)

Back out on track, knowing this was just survival at this point, I ran smooth, stable laps, staying out of trouble and letting traffic pass to get us to 5am, when Rees offered to take over so I could get my eyes out of the Rift for a bit, but shortly realized he wasn’t awake enough yet to run safe laps so handed her back over to me at about 5.30ish I think. From there, all I remember really is a few more smooth laps, seeing a white flag, seeing a checkered flag, shouting a few “WOOOTS” in the mic and doing donuts at turn one of the Circuit.

In the end, nothing to brag about standings-wise. Lots to write down, discuss and learn from. But… Through the hardware bad luck, nerves, and unfortunate mistakes on a pro level bitch of a course with lots of drivers on track, we finished the 24h of Nurburgring. And that is more than many.

Perseverance. No other word could describe our team’s race better. I’m honestly considering framing a picture of her and putting her on my desk. ;)

Thanks to Michael, Dino, Rees for doing what we could to get through it.

Thanks to B2O, and everyone’s commitment to put time into making this happen. (I don't want to forget anyone so I'm leaving it a blanket THANKS!!) And I'm looking forward to the next one already. dub, out.

Sure thing! Although, linking to Bathurst or Daytona might be a little prettier. Can you lock the sheet down to make it a view only sheet? Now that the event is over, it doesn't need to be edited but there is no reason not to share it!
You're the owner of them so only you can close them I believe. If you do that then I'll share a link to it on the iRacing forum.

I logged off this morning really annoyed and frustrated. This track is so difficult to get right and for the first 12 hours we basically
I logged off this morning really annoyed and frustrated. This track is so difficult to get right and for the first 12 hours we basically did...and then it started falling apart. Two complete imbeciles and some mistakes later and our race was trashed.

As usual with these events though I woke up after a power nap this morning with a fresher perspective. Did our race turn out as we had hoped? Not really. Did we still complete one of the most difficult events in sim racing, with three people, and a car still moving in a mostly forward direction? Yep. Did we beat the team that ultimately ruined our race? Yep. Was it still an incredible experience, one that I will continue to throw myself in to every time one of these events comes up? Yep.

Up next: Spa.
Haha yes, agreed 100%.

I think that's what's so special in those events, It is such a mental challenge. With the sleep deprivation and overall exhaustion, your brain has a much harder time to keep your ideas clear and positive than usual. In our case, it felt so heart breaking after 12h30 to get rekt by a very bad move from another car, and then the events that followed. Why? mostly just because we grew some expectations. First, I had some strange confidence that we would/should do a clean 24h on green hell (duh?), and 2nd, the fact that we were aiming at top 5, maybe podium when the first ''big crash'' happened.... But in retrospect, I still think we did geat !! and it takes a fresher look to realize how incredible of an experience this is. Its always when you wake up the next morning that you realize that what happened does not matter that much, and you remember mostly the positive and all the fun it actually was. Then you are like ''daamn that was awesome, When is the next one ?!''

Endurance races on sim racing, at our level, is not about the result much, but the journey. We put our 2 feets right in that mental challenge. Just the fact that we go through it and persevere through it is an achievement in itself. I think we can learn a lot from experiences like this and apply it to future events like this, but also to other circumstances of our lives, when we get exhausted and everything seems to go wrong in a never-ending fashion, I think this can help us develop some tools to go through it and never give up.

At the end of the day, It was once again an incredible experience, and for that I'd want to thank once again @Skid_Marc_ @Noodleguitar and @Duke for the organisation and the invitation. You guys do a terrific job and I think we can basically never thank you enough for the time and energy you guys put into this, just so we all go through this crazy experience without having to worry too much about the preparation outside our own ''driver's performance'' ! Thank you !!!

I'd also like to thank @Brainling and @Duke for being excellent teammates !!! Can't ask for better teammates boys, So if you guys still want to drive with me after this, I am down for it! Anytime !! :D

And finally, Congratulations to every B2O cars that went on track this day, no matter the results, You guys did awesome !!

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Haha yes, agreed 100%.

I think that's what's so special in those events, It is such a mental challenge. With the sleep deprivation and overall exhaustion, your brain has a much harder time to keep your ideas clear and positive than usual. In our case, it felt so heart breaking after 12h30 to get rekt by a very bad move from another car, and then the events that followed. Why? mostly just because we grew some expectations. First, I had some strange confidence that we would/should do a clean 24h on green hell (duh?), and 2nd, the fact that we were aiming at top 5, maybe podium when the first ''big crash'' happened.... But in retrospect, I still think we did geat !! and it takes a fresher look to realize how incredible of an experience this is. Its always when you wake up the next morning that you realize that what happened does not matter that much, and you remember mostly the positive and all the fun it actually was. Then you are like ''daamn that was awesome, When is the next one ?!''

Endurance races on sim racing, at our level, is not about the result much, but the journey. We put our 2 feets right in that mental challenge. Just the fact that we go through it and persevere through it is an achievement in itself. I think we can learn a lot from experiences like this and apply it to future events like this, but also to other circumstances of our lives, when we get exhausted and everything seems to go wrong in a never-ending fashion, I think this can help us develop some tools to go through it and never give up.

At the end of the day, It was once again an incredible experience, and for that I'd want to thank once again @Skid_Marc_ @Noodleguitar and @Duke for the organisation and the invitation. You guys do a terrific job and I think we can basically never thank you enough for the time and energy you guys put into this, just so we all go through this crazy experience without having to worry too much about the preparation outside our own ''driver's performance'' ! Thank you !!!

I'd also like to thank @Brainling and @Duke for being excellent teammates !!! Can't ask for better teammates boys, So if you guys still want to drive with me after this, I am down for it! Anytime !!

And finally, Congratulations to every B2O cars that went on track this day, no matter the results, You guys did awesome !!
Greater words have never been spoken.

...by a French guy that is :)

It was an honor driving with you as well @LoucMachine and of course @Brainling and I are near joined at the hip at this point.

I would definitely suit up and run laps with you again and again.

Just as you thought you were getting away unnoticed with an off-track gathering driving style, here are some stats from the teams!

Sadly, I couldn't generate the graphs for the #22 Ferrari team because they have a lap time somewhere over 59 minutes, and I need to add something to my code to deal with that first.

Incidents (doesn't count multiple off-tracks on a single lap)
Ferrari #95:
incidents_nurburgring_24h_2018_ferrari_95.png

Mercedes:
incidents_nurburgring_24h_2018_mercedespng.png

Porsche:
incidents_nurburgring_24h_2018_porsche.png

Median lap times (some stints were very short, showing extreme median values)
Ferrari #95:
lap_times_nurburgring_24h_2018_ferrari_95.png

Mercedes:
lap_times_nurburgring_24h_2018_mercedes.png

Porsche:
lap_times_nurburgring_24h_2018_porsche.png

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Whose dumb-ass idea was it to make the position-number boards flash blue? And why?

I know that the position-number boards often flicker on camera due to the mismatch between the camera's refresh rate and the slower LED's frequency, but this was very obviously flashing, and holy crap was that distracting! It looked terrible!

@SavreticD, I haven't forgotten about your question. I posted the question on the PL and it did create a great conversation on bump stops. Unfortunately, no one seems to be able to answer whether or not the AMGs were using bump stops at the 24 Hour. I wonder if setups are proprietary and, thus, no one would have general knowledge. I will say, I have learned a tremendous amount about bump stops and bump springs and there are some great videos on youtube about them.

So great question, fun to learn about this kind of stuff, sorry no clear answer on the AMGs at the Nord :(

Haha awesome Deb,Im glad you asked :) but shame nobody knows.It was just interesting for me to know is that true,are they running bump stops or not in the race

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dipeshmetier
Top Bottom