1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

[Special Event] Bathurst 1000 - V8 Supercars - 14-15th October 2017

Discussion in 'iRacing Forum' started by Skid_Marc_, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Skid_Marc_

Skid_Marc_ Staff Member Admin

[​IMG]
    The final* iRacing Special Event is here, featuring a 1000km race around Mount Panorama Circuit (Bathurst) ft. the V8 Supercars!

[​IMG]

In previous years, there were four races, including a Friday night race, however, this year it appears there is only two races:
    Saturday 14 October - 13:00 GMT (9:00a ET)
    Sunday 15 October - 01:00 GMT (Satuday 9:00p ET)

Cars - Ford Falcon FG V8 & Holden Commodore VF V8[​IMG]

Driver - Car Preference -Time Slot - Availibility:
    [Nejtun] Nejtun Cameron - Ford Falcon FG V8 - Both Races - All Race
    [Noodleguitar] Noël Lüneburg - Holden Commodore VF V8 - 13:00 GMT - Solo
    [Slider] Dino Topic - Holden Commodore VF V8 - ? - ?
    [Skid_Marc_] Marc Gammack - Ford Falcon FG V8 - Both Races - All Race

*Still no word about a re-run of the 24 Hours of Le Mans

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

For #PracticePals this Wednesday would anyone be interested in a hosted session for this?

Nejtun likes this.
  3. Skid_Marc_

I too was planning to host practice sessions tonight and tomorrow for anyone interested!

Nejtun likes this.
  4. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

I think this is held at the same time as the last VLN of 2017 which is too bad. But this is an event I don't want to miss! I'll be soloing it again and would like to end up in the same split if possible, but I'm not sure yet if that is going to be possible.

I won't be able to make the mid-week practice sessions but next week you might find me practicing during GMT times.

Edit: I'm doing the Saturday race.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Skid_Marc_ and Nejtun like this.
  5. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

I'm in for this
    Nejtun Cameron - Ford 1st Holden 2nd - Both time slots - Start to Finish
    Drove both yesterday with same set-up , I know they are supposed to be the same but they didn't feel it! maybe it is in my head

6. Peeble

Peeble Core

I am so down.

Skid_Marc_ likes this.
  7. Fromthenavy

Fromthenavy TS3 SA

I have to miss this guys, I'm leaving for North Carolina this Sunday and will be back the day of the race. I'll run some practices with you though and help with a setup.

8. Skid_Marc_

Hosted session is up! Password is "sheep" as per usual!

Nejtun likes this.
  9. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

Thanks for host!
    I think I am going to have to have at it quite solidly for the next two weeks though ,I am quit off the pace atm

10. Skid_Marc_

Updated OP and added a setup to it. Tried out a handful of bad setups. This one is closest to how I remember the V8, but it could just be me getting acclimated to driving the car as well.

Interesting side note; in the mid-season patch a couple weeks ago, there was a line that stated...
    "Tires

- Fixed an issue introduced with the 2017 Season 4 Release where some vehicle tires had unintentional extra grip prior to warming up completely."

...that is this car. While it might not be the only car affected by this issue, it definitely was a victim..

...and even after the patch, it continues to be a victim. The car does not do a proper burn-out leaving the pits, or the grid. There is definitely more grip on the first lap, too, running a 2:09 on my first lap, but the drop off isn't near as bad as reported after week 1. For the first 10 laps, 2:10's were defianetly possible. After that, the car slowly faded into the 2:11's. The car became sketchy around lap 16, and by lap 20 you need to make deliberate efforts to back your braking points up and not hold the brakes when turning into the corner. Also, backing off the brake bias and lowing the rear bar seemed to help. A Full Fuel Run in this car equals 23 laps.

The setup as shared is probably from the end of the run. I started with 46.1 BB and 4 or 5 rear bar.
    One other setup quirk: this car doesn't run "minimum tyre pressures" like other cars in iRacing. It doesn't seem to have the same 'floor'. You can flatten the tyres to 105kpa or less, maybe, didn't really look. As is, however, the setup keeps all of the tyres pretty even around 170kpa after an FFR. Not surprising, RF Tyre wear is the worst at 61%, and the rear tyres will be around 64-66% at the end of the run.

Noodleguitar likes this.
  11. Skid_Marc_

Example of the V8 when cold tyres were def broken..

12. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

iRacing: They're saying the grip is unrealistically lacking? All right, next update we'll use the Reliant Robin as the physics model for the V8, see how they like that!

John Navara and Skid_Marc_ like this.
  13. John Navara

John Navara Casual

I hopped on your hosted session after you guys had already stopped practicing. The Ford is a handful.

John

14. Deb

Deb Moderator

Not interested, but I am not racing Friday anyway, so if you guys are doing Bathurst all probably run laps on the Nord to work on VLN setup.

Skid_Marc_ likes this.
  15. Skid_Marc_

Hosted server is opening up shortly!

16. Slider

Slider Hardcore

Interested in running, in Holden, availability pending new work schedule. Will update as soon as I find out, hopefully Tuesday.

17. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

Thanks again for the host Marc, much appreciated!

I like your set far better than Davey's but when the fuel burns off the car is just horrible to drive. Now that I found I can actually put down decent laps I may put in a lot more practice to see if there's something I can do to the rear to keep the car under me longer.

To be honest last night was the most fun I've had in the V8's in as long as I can remember.

...except for Philip Island, the V8 is absolutely awesome there!

18. Brainling

Brainling Core

I'm out for this one. I drove the V8 around Bathurst last night and while I was able to get the car around and even started to find some lap time, it's just not my kind of car. I can see the appeal for others but it's not for me. I'll be cheering everyone on from the sidelines and looking forward to Daytona in a couple months.

19. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

What lap times are you guys running so far? And do you know what the top guys are running in race trim? I've done a short session just now and my best was a 2:08.6 so far but I think I'll be able to improve, mostly from Skyline to Forrest's Elbow. I've only tried the VRS setup so far.

After not being in the car I noticed some different things but they could just be me. During braking I noticed you can push the pedal pretty far before locking up (48.1% BB). Also, I remember this thing actually being able to turn in Forrest's Elbow, but those must have been fake memories :). It doesn't like trail braking at all in my opinion.

20. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

you are doing 2:08s on full fuel ? I am not even close to that. I was doing this last year , but lucky to break inot the 2:10s now.
    Havent used the VRS set yet , but the one from the OP . The VRS one has 56 litres in it , did you top it up? , going to jump on track when the servers go live in a few.