1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

[Special Event] Bathurst 1000 - V8 Supercars - 14-15th October 2017

Discussion in 'iRacing Forum' started by Skid_Marc_, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Skid_Marc_

Skid_Marc_ Staff Member Admin

I'm surprised to see you running that Brake Bias, @Noodleguitar. I seem to recall you running 44-45% BB in GRAsim? Personally, I've found 48.1 to be the max BB for me. I use it as a baseline when learning the track, or when reacquainting myself with the car. Anything more and I'm likely to plow straight into the wall. IMO, the V8 is very obvious when you lock up the rear tyres, and everyone is familiar with the e-brake-like death-spin that locking up the rear-end of the V8 can cause. However, it is hard to tell when it is locking up the front tyres due to the car's natural understeer. You may think the car heading straight to the wall is just normal understeer until you start to dial back the brake bias. The difference, for me, is most obvious in T2 and Forest Elbow. Watching the replay, even at 48.1%, the front tyres smoke like crazy all the way into the corner.

The first couple of laps I can run 46.1%, and that was always my goal BB when running GRAsim (I never had any hope of making it to your brake-bias), but I can't run that the entire run, so I eventually add 0.5-1.0%.

If anyone is still struggling with locking up the rear-end under braking, even at 48.1%, it might be a down-shifting issue and not a braking issue. This isn't a GT3 car, or even a GT1 car, you can't just slam down the gears, even if you're blipping. Try spacing out your down-shifts a little more that may prevent the dif from locking.

2. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

Oooh, maybe that's why the car went plowing towards the wall at Forrest's Elbow with minor brake inputs. I forgot what I was running last year, so I looked at Davey's set which had 48.1 in it. Thanks, I'll try to lower the bias to see if that helps.

3. Peeble

Peeble Core

Don't think I'm gonna be able to run the race on Saturday :(

4. Slider

Slider Hardcore

I am available for both races, any time. Work schedule is currently "normal".

5. Skid_Marc_

Added another setup to the OP. The setup feels more loose (maybe neutral in this car), and often feels a bit like walking on glass, but if I drive it 'right', it does what I want it to do, which just isn't true for the other setups. The car seems easier on the tyres, without falling off a cliff, but I'm not sure how much is the setup and how much is babying the car. I think if you lock the brakes up and spin the tyres a lot, you might get a lot of speed early, but once the tyres are used up, they're toast. I'm sure there is more time if I wanted to push, but I was able to turn 2.10's consistently, and probably could have turned a few more before the setup really fell off. Even though I was having to be more and more careful to get the car to do what I wanted, it really didn't seem to affect pace.

That is not to say it was easy to drive. It was very easy to over-drive, but being really patient on the throttle, and especially on my downshifts, the car stayed mostly steady. Staying off the rev-limiter on downshifts and minimizing the back-fires seemed to allow me to get on the throttle smoother.

[​IMG]
    The yellow incidents were scrapes against the wall either ascending or descending the mountain, while the red incidents were 1x's where I dropped a left wheel in the grass trying to get a straighter entry into the chase.

It seems, for me, that the more the car under-steers it becomes a double-whammy of; a.) you kill the front tyres leading to more understeer and; b.) it makes you slower mid-corner which leads to jumping on the throttle too hard/soon resulting in spinning the rear tyres. Where some of our earlier practice saw me going faster on the first two laps, my pace dropped into the 2:11's and even 2:12's within 8 laps.

Noodleguitar and Nejtun like this.
  6. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

After numerous attempts of trying to get this car around the track for a full fuel run I've decided to stick with my original plan and avoid this event like the plague.

7. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

Is there anyone not racing and awake tomorrow with approximately 1016 iRating who would like to sign up with me so that I can get into @Skid_Marc_'s split?

Nejtun likes this.
  8. John Navara

John Navara Casual

I am at 1327 and can help however you wish.

John

9. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

Noel is soloing this @John Navara he just needs someone with a lower irating to register with him before the event starts so that our two teams can be in the same split. you would not even need to get in the race session itself, just be there to register with Noel before the splits are made.

10. John Navara

John Navara Casual

Ok tell me what time and what I need to do.

John

11. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

Need to wait for @Noodleguitar to say if your IR is at the right range but if it is ok then just need to be in teamspeak at 12:30 GMT on Saturday and Noel can help you from there!

12. John Navara

John Navara Casual

Crap that's 5:30am for me. I can do it though.

John

13. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

I wouldn't want you to have to get up super early just for a few minutes of signing up @John Navara, but if you don't mind it then that would be awesome :). Terrorizing a single split with multiple B2O cars is always great fun.

All you would have to do is register to my team (sent an invite to you for "Noël Lüneburg [B2O]") between 12:30 - 13:00 GMT from the Team Session page. I'll be around in TeamSpeak before the race.

Skid_Marc_ likes this.
  14. John Navara

John Navara Casual

Accepted team invitation and my alarm is set for 5:15am.

I am glad that I'm crappy enough to help you out. :D

John

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Noodleguitar likes this.
  15. Slider

Slider Hardcore

Is there a schedule or sorts for tomorrow? Who's with who, etc?

16. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

I did make a fuel schedule just now.

Marc and Nejtun are running together, I'm doing it solo.

17. Deb

Deb Moderator

How'd it go? We came in fifth in the second split at VLN. Normally, I'd be darn pleased with that, but we were leading for a good portion of the race. But we had some aerodamage and had lost our fast repair so we didn't get to fix it. Cost us a significant amount of time :(I have to tell you though, it is a really cool feeling when you come around and the spotter says "You're in first place". I don't get to hear that very often ;)

SavreticD, ShadniX, Slider and 2 others like this.
  18. Skid_Marc_

Bad. I totaled our car while driving because I was fucking around with the stream. We're going to try and give it another go in an hour.. Glad to hear about your Top-5 in VLN! Sorry that the victory didn't pan out for you, though.. :(

19. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

WOoooooo! That is it for 2017 :D and we went out with a bang ! ( well two bangs , several body panels and a mystery oil cooler :) ) Was a Good deal of fun and I think we all left as tired as hell , thanks for being there @Noodleguitar and @Skid_Marc_ Looking forward to all the Enduros next year !

Deb and Kinger like this.
  20. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

Yep, that was fun indeed.

The first race was disappointing for me because despite the help of @John Navara not only did I not make it into the split of @Skid_Marc_ and @Nejtun, I got placed in the wrong split as well (one lower than them, see http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3576020.page). I got taken out by traffic in that split after about 2 stints.

Marc and Nejtun peer pressured me into joining the second race which started at 03:00 for me. Sadly, we ended up in different splits once again but this time I got to race with the top Australians again for a change.

My split had some good racing and I found myself in the top 5 at some point. Unfortunately my tuning of 1st gear in Forrest's Elbow was not perfect and I had disagreements with the walls on both sides (the walls won). That meant about 5 minutes repairs and 3 laps down. After considering going to sleep I figured I might as well continue if my car was still in decent shape. It was, except for some slight aero damage and I managed to get some places back to get a 9th place finish.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017