Squad

Picked up Squad last night. It's eh.

I had a lot of fun with it, but it'd be 200x better with some team balancing.

Kept either getting stacked onto teams that were like 38v20 or vice-versa, either getting spawn camped or spawn camping.

The games pretty decent if you get some people that actually listen though, I got tired of joining random squads with SL's that weren't doing shit. Just started becoming the SL and kicking tards that weren't doing teamwork. Get a decent squad going that actually wants to do some team work its a pretty decent game.

Otherwise, you're just gunna get wrecked repeatedly. Getting wrecked isn't any fun.

I think the game needs some additional customization, being able to mod your kits a little bit.

I look forward to vehicles being implemented.

little P

Super Mod
(Sorry for the long post in advance...)

Interesting to read how you felt about it.

I've put about 18 hours into Squad now, and it's been a unique experience for me so far.

I started off with the game after some peer pressure from Quick, and promptly refunded it. Looking back, I was completely frustrated about getting owned constantly, and my biggest mistake was forgetting it was an Alpha (and quite a way off even Beta still), and also forgetting it wasn't call of battlefront black ops XII. I was approaching it from a "Oh I'll just run/sneak/crawl around and shoot an enemy when I see one, that won't be a problem". That was a mistake on my part, but I haven't really played a game like this before. I never got into ARMA really, and it's just been a completely new way of playing what I thought was a typical FPS. But it's really, really not.

So, after a day I re-bought it, and I'm really glad I did. Yes, there are balancing issues at the moment, but that's purely because of where the Alpha is at the moment. I actually enjoy playing the underdog sides and seeing how we can do against the better equipped team. It's not always going to be like that of course once the next updates go live.

I join a couple of servers exclusively, as I know they are actively admined, and have excellent teamwork going on with good squad leaders.

The game, in my opinion is utterly crap if you are not in a squad at all, or are in a squad with no, or inadequate communication. And that's how it's meant to be, which is what I like. It actually, in a way, forces teamplay, because if you don;t work with the squad it's just no fun, and that's a good thing. Finally someone is doing something like this again. My overriding feeling I get now when jumping into a familiar server with the same names playing is that of BF1942 in it's heyday. Jumping on a server where there are familiar names, but they are still strangers essentially. Then over time you get to know each others strengths and weaknesses, and build a squad around that.

A game where it's all about the objective, and not your k/d. For example, taking out an enemy F.O.B. drains them of 10 tickets instantly. Assuming you actually get an enemy combatant down, you still haven't drained them of a ticket, as if the squad that player was in is operating as it should, he'll be revived by a medic and you don't get anything. So, it's far more effective for the team as a whole to go for the objectives, surround them, flank enemy positions etc. rather than it just being a typical headbutting situation between two teams.

I love this side of Squad, and it's what keeps me coming back for more, even though I've rage quit on several occasions. Each time I do I look back and think what I could have done differently, and there is always something. Something I wasn't doing quite right that exposed me maybe, or an area I didn't cover. Gradually I have been getting better and better, learning all the time, and actually wanting to do this not because of kit unlocks, or XP, or any of that bs I'm so tired of. No, it's because it's fun to do so... and considering it's an alpha, that's bloody impressive.

This game has so much potential considering where it's at and where it wants to go. I'm really looking forward to it, and having a blast (literally) in the meantime :)

Anyone thinking about picking it up, I can assure you, as long as you get in a good server, with good people, which isn't hard really as long as you can get along with people and aren't afraid of using the mic, you are going to have a good time. Just keep returning to the same servers and you'll get recognized, and be joining in squads or leading them with the same people. There is no better feeling than when you are in a squad with a good squad leader and everyone pulling their weight in the squad.

I can honestly say it's the first time I've felt this since 1942, and that's high praise indeed.

Daunt

MLG Pro
Holy shit. That had to be the longest li-uhl p has ever started on the same topic. He usually forgets what he's saying after thirty seconds.

What you describe fireblade reminds me a lot of the issues I had with planetside 2. Unless you got on a decent team / squad it was not fun because you just got steamrolled.

little P

Super Mod
lol Daunt, it should give you some idea of how interesting and quality Squad is. I just thought the only reason I haven't started a thread about it is we've been having too much fun playing it... FB starting one prompted me to give my thoughts.

It really is that good. And that's coming from me, a self confessed graphics ho'. I can look past the Alpha rough edges because the gameplay is just peerless (under the right conditions listed in my previous posts) so far, and that's at this early stage.

Peeble

Core
I just picked it up, been following it since it was announced, just didn't want to buy into the first phase of pre-alpha or whatever it was. Seems like it's worth it now for the price/content.

Edit: First impression is playing without a squad leader was terrible, playing with one was amazing.

Last edited:
What you describe fireblade reminds me a lot of the issues I had with planetside 2. Unless you got on a decent team / squad it was not fun because you just got steamrolled.
Eh, it was worse in planetside because planetside was a fast-paced shooter.

In this tactics can still prevail, and even if you're on a half-retarded team if you have a decent squad going you can still wreck face. I wracked up 37/1 K : D outnumbered 24v38 on the rebel side without the cool weapons because the other team were going full-retard... while the rest of my team got spawn camped. Had a blast.

So even with a retarded team, as long as you've got a squad that's willing to listen and/or a squad leader actually leading you can do well and have fun.

Jerad

TS3 SA
I picked up the game yesterday. Duke mentioned you guys will be playing tonight so I'll probably hop on tonight and play a little with you guys.

E

ElektroVodka

​I'll be on for sure! Who else has got it and wants to join?

little P

Super Mod
That was a lot of fun thanks guys. A full squad noobin' it up, good times. Looking forward to some more games :)

Peeble

Core
That was an awesome night guys, sorry for that last game where things didn't go so well. We still came out as the #1 squad on our team by a long shot (was it 121 kills out of 181 for our whole team?).

PS: Being Squad leader when you don't know what you're doing will make you cry.

PPS: Thanks to everyone who went medic during those games, this is usually my reaction when I'm a medic: http://i.imgur.com/O0G6uhE.gifv

E

ElektroVodka

That was an awesome night guys, sorry for that last game where things didn't go so well. We still came out as the #1 squad on our team by a long shot (was it 121 kills out of 181 for our whole team?).

PS: Being Squad leader when you don't know what you're doing will make you cry.

PPS: Thanks to everyone who went medic during those games, this is usually my reaction when I'm a medic: http://i.imgur.com/O0G6uhE.gifv
We got that score under your lead. You're doing something right :)
Yeah was great fun, altho sometimes i could hear some frustration coming up due to some well placed enemy shots.

little P

Super Mod
Watching Duke's stream today was really interesting seeing events from his point of view. Like when we were in a compound clearing buildings. It highlights improvements that can be made to comms in the future as we get more into it as a squad like calling out positions and also our positioning as we maneuver. Last night was about learning game mechanics and setting things up, and of course having a laugh which we did. My sides were hurting at some points lol but there is a real teamplay aspect to this game as I hope you can see from last night.

The better the communication is, and the more the squad sticks together the better chance we have as a unit to influence the outcome of the battle. It's not always about being a crack shot, five or more rifles firing at the enemy has a much better chance of hitting than one guy on his own.

And one thing I came to realise is don't get frustrated at getting downed as it doesn't always mean we lose a ticket. If we have two medics in the squad there isn't really a reason why we should lose any tickets really. The medics should play as support only, ie. staying behind the assault team ready to heal/revive and covering the rear. Also having binoculars they should be calling out enemy positions at long range so the squad leader can make a decision about how to proceed. It's something that can be practiced and once the squad knows what it's doing and how to work together as a unit they can pretty much dominate a battlefield. That's what interests me about this game. Teamwork really does pay off big time.

Jerad

TS3 SA
Last night was a ton of fun. When we hopped on a public server the fights were intense (and maybe a bit frustrating when I spawn-died 4x in a row). Better planning and coordination will come in time I think with more experience and practice in the game. I also honestly think this is a game where someone could benefit from a 1440p or 4k monitor. Trying to engage dudes at long range when they're basically 2 pixels wide is infuriating.

Also the way Peeble described the squad leading, it sounded almost like smaller scale FCing from eve.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
I'm never playing Medic again! What an exercise in frustration that was in the compound.

I have to say though, I'm really glad I shot that guy accidentally because he was a dick. I just wish I'd done it on purpose, would have enjoyed it much more lol.

Called Gabe last night at home and explained the reason for my over 2hr usage; I pretty much blamed it all on you guys.

I mentioned you had something to do with that little P and since you're known so well through Steam returns he refunded my game immediately, gave me Season Tickets to the Seahawks and his daughters phone number.

little P

Super Mod
lol here's a slightly better one. The fact the entire enemy team came running over the hill directly behind me taking this shot about 3 seconds later is what makes it :icon_lol:

2016-01-21_00003.jpg

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17