1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Voice Chat.

Discussion in 'Gaming General & Off Topic' started by Nejtun, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

Hey all, Steam have finally pulled their finger out and come up with what looks like could be a decent chat client.
    It looks similar to the discord layout , but as most people already have steam open, it might free up some resources ( discord has been known to sometimes cause a pc to grind to a halt) where as steam is already open for the most part so hopefully uses a bit less.

I am going to try it out with a few friends to see if it is actually viable but if you want to test it out then go to your settings/account tab in Steam and choose the only current Beta option on the right hand window, it will patch your steam client ( 150 meg ) and give you the new friends interface.

As of writing this I have yet to fire it up and give it a go , but thought I would pass this along ( I don't even know how new it is :D )

If anyone has used it already, please feel free to comment below and let us know what you think!

steam chat.png
    look like you can make as many individual group windows (Persistent until deleted) as you like, it also has image file linking ( to be verified )

Noodleguitar and Skid_Marc_ like this.
  2. Skid_Marc_

Skid_Marc_ Staff Member Admin

Neat! Hopefully it supports more than 4 people talking at a time... :)

Have you poked around in the settings to see what kind of voice/keybind options it has, if any?

3. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

So far it looks like it has the usual things you would expect, (push to talk, voice activation), it also has distance recognition, so you can set it regardless of mic how far away you want to be picked up. This might help clicking/squeaking hardware, dogs in the background etc.
    One control that is on by default is the 'automatic gain' option, it is wise to locate and disable this first thing or your voice will be up and down all over the place.

Yet to find anything to do with sub groups, which we use a lot on big events but I will i investigate this further. For anyone that does find issues while trying this out, there is a little bug report link at the bottom of the chat window, Steam can't fix what they don't know about ;)

4. little P

little P Super Mod

Is the quality as good as teamspeak in your testing?

5. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

The quality so far is fine, but (and this could be a biggy) it 'seems' as if whoever makes the channel is a host , not sure on this one yet, as when I was hosting the channel was crystal clear. then my friend hosted (his internet is worse than shit) and the voice channel went all to hell.
    Needs more testing yet, however, using a voice comms that doesn't run in the background as discord does seems like it is worth testing further. Like I said though, I am not sure how new this is, but it needs some work while in Beta, file sharing isn't quite down yet either.
    watch this space!

6. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

OK ,After further testing Steam voice is at least as good quality as discord, needs testing with 10 + people, it is however a good start from Steam, very easy to create groups , and channels within those groups although there doesn't seem to be many admin rights, anybody who has been invited can add channels as they please.
    It appears they can also delete as they choose!! So, although this software/interface is not yet ready, it has some potential.
    I am going to keep an eye on it and keep using it in the daytime and see if any of the issues are addressed.
    The channel maker is not the host as I mentioned might be the case earlier, just some glitchy internet thing I think.

little P likes this.
  7. Noodleguitar

Noodleguitar Moderator

Can it help to filter out Nejtuns from the kitchen? :)

Nejtun likes this.
  8. Nejtun

Nejtun Moderator

I have it set so it can pick up my sound even if I am not in the house !!!!

Noodleguitar and little P like this.
  9. little P

little P Super Mod

Thanks for the info mate, will definitely keep an eye on it. Seems like it has potential if they add some features that we would need as a community