1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

Teamspeak Issues

Discussion in 'Website Discussion' started by Duke, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Duke

Duke Staff Member Site Admin

Please post all Teamspeak related issues here.

Thanks,

Ken

2. tmtm

tmtm Moderator

What in the hell is so hard about running TS servers? These providers are awful. Oversold, ghetto servers.

3. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Haven't had any problems personally, but man, this indeed sux. Let's hope the private hosted server will do better, as you probably have better things to do then spend your days sending in tickets...

4. Engnr

Engnr Moderator

Switch to a different software maybe?

5. Duke

I've considered that but I'm not a big fan of mumble and even if we were to switch, whose to say the new software isn't affected by TS anyway?

Afaik, they all will run off the very same networks so if TS is being affected by a large scale ddos attack my guess is all software will be.

Maybe someone here knows more about this stuff at a Network Level who can give us more insight. I do know that at a Webserver Level anyway, that if one site is being attacked all sites on my box suffer.

6. Duke

During the weeknights we often have anywhere from 6 - 16 iRacers in Channel along with Fireblade's Europa group that's about equal in size.

Last night it appeared as if every new user connecting to the Europa Channel was doing so by kicking an iRacer. We dropped one at a time until only Jeff was left in channel; the rest of us could never re-connect and if so, just briefly.

Earlier in the week we were all kicked, re-connected, kicked-reconnected (several times) over an hour or so session.

We're starting to see more and more instances of the robot in Channel as packet loss becomes more prominent as well.

...basically all the tell tale signs we're accustomed to that the service is sucking.

7. Duke

lol

No wonder we were getting frickin' booted.

They credited us a month free likely because of how irate I've been in these tickets; I'm actually quite embarrassed.

Question is, is incompetence rampant in the Hosting Industry or do I just have the worlds worst luck?

8. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

Lol, I guess we'll give it a 'wait and see". Perhaps your intyelligence rubs off on people you have contact with XD

9. Duke

I'm starting to wonder lol.

10. Shilka

Shilka Moderator

JFYI TS has been crashing all evening, more ddos I guess?

11. ElektroVodka

ElektroVodka Staff Member Admin

Yup, the connection is pretty unstable, last i was able to check the packet loss was at 98.2%.

Didn't check the uptime, but i am pretty sure the server itself didn't crash but something in the route did... or is extremely busy.

Edit;

Support ticket sent by Duke, awaiting explanation by host.(bets are open)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  12. Duke

Let me guess, our 00ber ddos protection failed or maybe we're just playing with the switch just to piss you off. Our servers say 87 days uptime but that doesn't mean we've been connected to anything other than your wallet.

We're laughing all the way to the bank you stupid Canadian fuck.

13. ElektroVodka

That is by far the safest bet i've ever seen :)

14. Daunt

Daunt MLG Pro

Is there really no log or anything that really proves the disconnect? An entire list of all the disconnects would be really nice to shove in their face, I'd think. But it sounds as if the server is not really even registering any down time.

15. ElektroVodka

Yes, they have that log.
    It's not traceable on the server itself, as that never went down.
    But some of their network components should have registered a peak or drop in traffic right at the moment our server (most likely all servers) was unreachable.

Client logs could be send, but u can't really see where the error is.

Most likely the reason behind the downtime is a kiddie that got beaten at some game or even kicked and starts attacking that specific ip as retalliation (sp?)

What he doesn't know or does but ignores it... is the fact that he takes down everything making use of the same connection.

We are working on a solution for these issues.

One of them would be to host it somewhere that doesn't have 300 other voice servers in their network.

16. Daunt

Daunt MLG Pro

I can't see how you'd have DDoS protection unless they had a completely separate server that would go up when theirs went down. There really is no protection against an attack like that, unfortunately.

And considering the server uptime hasn't changed, it obviously didn't move the traffic to a new, DDoS-free server. Do they say what their DDoS protection encompasses?

17. Duke

ddos protection is farmed out to a 3rd party and funnels the incoming requests to the main server (the first weak link in their chain IMHO):

This is most likely the main reason the server shows such a long uptime because it can remain up and responsive but that makes no difference if the bottleneck is in front of it.

18. ElektroVodka

Well, the base for the solution is running, just need to install the linux ts3 server, get a hostname pointing to it and we shu'd be golden.

19. Duke

Is there any way to use a vanity hostname such as ts3@bandofothersgaming.com?

Also, can you please PM me with a PayPal address to add funds too?

Thanks for your work here my friend, the Community as a whole will very much benefit from it.

20. Wapwap

Wapwap Staff Member Admin