1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Band of Others is populated with passionate Gamers maintaining friendships from time of registration up to 15+ years. Members comprise of good people like you with widely varying levels of Gaming experience.

We actively support a wide range of Gaming Genres such as First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Simulations and even Strategy Games.

We maintain our own 500+ slot Teamspeak 3 Server with plenty of room for you and your friends to chat.

For those of you looking for information on our iRacing programs such as Blancpain GT3 League and Practice Pals, please see here.

Join us today, you'll be glad you did!
    Dismiss Notice

[TONIGHT 1/1/18] #PracticePals on Discord!!

Discussion in 'iRacing Forum' started by Skid_Marc_, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Skid_Marc_

Skid_Marc_ Staff Member Admin

Hey everyone! Hope you all had an enjoyable start to 2018!

Tonight, Band of Others #PracticePals will be at Spa with the GT3 cars, as usual, but we are going to try to utilize our Discord server this time!

For some of you who are already familiar with Discord, this shouldn't be a problem, but if you are new to Discord, make sure to join Ken's Twitch if you need any help getting set up!

SavreticD, John Navara and Jes_971 like this.
  2. John Navara

John Navara Core

Great news and I should say finally. ;)

John

3. ElektroVodka

ElektroVodka Staff Member Admin

How'd it work out for you guys?

4. Skid_Marc_

Skid_Marc_ Staff Member Admin

@ElektroVodka Poorly.. :(

At first it was Ken, Michael, Nejtun and myself, and while I described the voices as sounding like we were "..inside a coffee can...", the voice was crisp and clear, and there was few issues.

However, once Noël and Deb joined, the voice started to go a little wonky. Every once in a while, Noël would distort a bit. I think someone else joined and everytime Deb spoke, she sounded like she was talking through auto-tune like T-Pain.

Then it got really fruatrating frustrating (at least for me), because everyone started dropping off. Deb would start talking and not finish the sentence (which isnt all that new:p), but then I Noël would do the same thing, and I would respond but then Nejt said I cut out. Nejtun and Ken were the first two in the server, and they seemed completely uneffected, however, it seemed, there were "LONG" awkward moments of silence so maybe someone was talking and no one could here them? There were a lot of times where I would say something, and no one would reapond, and while once was because I was muted, there were many times before that that I know I wasnt muted because I Alt-tabbed out of the game.

And that wasy final issue with Discord. I dont have a full monitor to dedicate to Discord, but it also doesn't break down very well. It seems to prioritize the text over the comms. Does anyone know of a way to resize the boxes? I only care about seeing the channels and, if possible who is online, and I'd like it to be no more than 480x1080 pixels.

Hopefully, if we can get more bandwidth or a higher codec, we can get more people in. I had no issues with the sound quality when there were just four of us. I wasnt around all night, though, so hopefully it got better.

Ken started playing around with the Discord settings and and I had a network failure right as my BSS was gridding. Not sure if they were related, as iRacing was the only things that choked, but at that point I had had enough. I know they went on so maybe they got it sorted at the night went on?

I don't mind the Discord platform as much as when we first tried it, but looking through a couple Discords that I've joined (TimtheTatMan, Kapps, and now ours) it does feel more like a Forum + File/Pic sharing, and the talk functionality comes last.

5. ElektroVodka

I've been looking at their support and reddit and noticed some others that had issues mentioned switching voice server location fixed it.

Not sure what ours is in but might be something worth lookinh into.

6. Kenadian

Kenadian Staff Member Site Admin

I switched location last night from East Coast NA to West Coast and it made no difference.

I personally was running the app, not the browser and it was horrible. Deb sounded like she was recording for Black Eyed Peas or something and most of what she said was unrecognizable as a Earth based language to me.

We ended up switching to TS as Discord comms (last night at least) were completely unusable.

All I did was adjust bitrate last night hoping it would make a difference but it didn't.

7. Deb

Deb Moderator

Oh, I thought I was auditioning for the Black Eyed Peas, thought I'd replace Fergie :p

Its funny because I've used Discord for a couple of years and not had this problem, but there is usually no more than 4 folks on. Recently I have been getting stutters in audio when Discord is open at certain times. Maybe with the addition of video chat their servers are overwhelmed. Not sure.

8. SavreticD

SavreticD Core

I like Discord more for messages,separate channels,rooms,texting rooms and channels I mean and things like that.We didnt had voice problem but like Deb said,4 people,not 20

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  9. Brainling

Brainling Core

There has to be something wrong with the server settings. I use Discord a lot, in some medium-large rooms (15+ people) with no real issue. I'll poke around the server settings for that server and see if I can get you some things to change.

SavreticD likes this.
  10. ElektroVodka

There's not much that we can do about the connection other than switch which voice server we use.
    I've been in channels that had quite the amount of clients and there seemed to be no issues.
    Most of the complaints about the garbled voice has started since the introduction of video chat, so i guess Deb might be onto something here.

11. Brainling

Brainling Core

Interesting, I didn't even know they introduced video chat. Wonder if it's overloading their servers?

12. ElektroVodka

Yeah that seems to be the main reason brought up at most threads on the Discord reddit

13. Kenadian

Kenadian Staff Member Site Admin

I don't know what the reason is to be honest but from a settings standpoint there isn't much to change, it's pretty straight forward.

The only thing I'm sure of is that this is the worst Discord has ever sounded to me. It was as if we were in TS and were experiencing huge amounts of packet loss.

I barely understood a word @Deb said last night but that could be said for most nights (jk) :)

...and as Marc stated, there were things being said, apparently, that never made it to my ears.

14. SavreticD

SavreticD Core

@Duke because she was in lake house with dial up connection :p

Kenadian, ElektroVodka and Skid_Marc_ like this.