AbbyTheFoxx

TS3 SA
I'm going to back out of this race, I've been so focused on work and then other racing stuff that I haven't practiced as much as I'd like, I just don't seem as motivated for this race. Also trying to squeeze it in with my trip to Columbus is tough and would mean leaving before the weekend when I would get to see most people. I'll be cheering you guys on though!

Bedo

Core
I'm going to back out of this race, I've been so focused on work and then other racing stuff that I haven't practiced as much as I'd like, I just don't seem as motivated for this race. Also trying to squeeze it in with my trip to Columbus is tough and would mean leaving before the weekend when I would get to see most people. I'll be cheering you guys on!
You know you won't be practicing any less than I am. Even if you raced for one stint it would still count toward the team effort.

AbbyTheFoxx

TS3 SA
You know you won't be practicing any less than I am. Even if you raced for one stint it would still count toward the team effort.
I know but I'm also cutting short the time I get to spend with people I very rarely see since they're 6 hours away, or not seeing them at all, because I'd be coming home early for the race. Just gonna have to choose IRL this time around as weird as that is for me to say lol

Deb

Guys, if I get to Practice Pals tonight and Friday night, it will be later, have some IRL stuff to take care of. I can practice Thursday night if anyone is around.

Bedo

Core
I know but I'm also cutting short the time I get to spend with people I very rarely see since they're 6 hours away, or not seeing them at all, because I'd be coming home early for the race. Just gonna have to choose IRL this time around as weird as that is for me to say lol
Simracers know their priorities. I guess you're just not a true simracer. :p
Enjoy!

Nejtun

Hey Guys! I have had a very busy couple of days and am way too tired to do anything effective driving wise this evening (Friday), I will be joining one of the many hosted sessions over the weekend though and will be in TS if anyone is able to join on Saturday and Sunday.
Obviously will be on pretty much all week next week also.

The ILMS official is also all of next week (15:00 track time) for 1 Hour races, so it would be a good plan to do at least one of these for everybody racing for the real traffic and pitting practice if nothing else! I am going to try to squeeze in as many as I can and I know Marc is also going to try to do a few so please make yourselves known if you want some company for any particular time slot throughout the week so we can get together and hopefully race together!

Don't forget the Audi Setup is on the first page of this thread (it is good for fuel for the sprint race as well as the endurance)
See you all over the weekend!

Brainling

Hardcore
My tattoo artist came through tonight and is going to have the time to do my piece, so I won't be around either. I'm going to race Bathurst in iLMS this weekend at some point and then focus in completely on pre-Le Mans prep starting Monday.

Bedo

Core
Attached is my audi r18 setup. I think I've dialed the understeer out of it. It has some mechanical grip changes, minor aero changes, and lots of front diff changes.

I am still struggling with this car. 8/10 laps involve owls. If I can't clean up my driving by mid week, I think I'm going to pass on the race.

Attachments

Bedo

Core
Hey guys, I'm going to bail on you for this race. This car and I just don't get along and I can't learn it in 20 minute increments. I just don't have the time to practice in order to run consistent laps. Good luck next weekend!

Brainling

Hardcore
Hey guys, I'm going to bail on you for this race. This car and I just don't get along and I can't learn it in 20 minute increments. I just don't have the time to practice in order to run consistent laps. Good luck next weekend!
That sucks but I appreciate your honesty. Thanks for the setup tweaks either way, your changes felt much more comfortable to me in warmer day weather.

Nejtun

So this just happened to my CSW.
image1.jpeg

As well as the wheel suddenly snapping to full left lock as i was exiting the pits :S
Quickly got on to Fanatec who reminded me that tomorrow was a holiday in Germany so no chance of them getting me a new base by Friday.

My chat support guy went away for a bit after seeing the picture and said " we have never seen that before, try reinstalling it"
That light is accurate in colour btw, not washed out by the photo , it is not the dark blue you get when doing a calibration so if anyone has any idea what the hell that is then please speak up :D

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Oh, no :eek: Are you going to be on tonight to tell us what is going on?
Sorry. Yesterday was exhausting.

First of all, we've all been in practice the past few weeks. We know we're all pretty close to each other, and that "Manual,4" is netting us consistent full usage of our Hybrid Allotment and consistent lap times.

This is an endurance race where consistency is of utmost importance. We're less racing the other competitors, and more racing the track for 24 hours. "Manual,4" is going to be the easiest place to ride and log lap after lap after lap.

When traffic comes into play, you may find a point where boosting behind a slow GTE car **MAY** be a waste, so having the "No Boost" button will come into play.

The issue that @Nejtun and I ran into is when actually racing other LMP1 cars. The Hybrid system just doesn't adapt well to the nuances of actually racing another car. Sometimes you need to back off earlier, or hold the brakes a little longer. This results in a build up of additional boost.

"Additional boost is a good thing, no?" I hear you ask. More boost is always good, the problem is, the computer looks at that added boost and determines that, if more is there, it's going to use more. The result? You end up with extra punch out of the corner, which inevitably means only slightly more time on the straight, and runs you out of allotment way to fast. I kept hitting 95% or more exiting Arnage. That is not enough to get you out of the Ford Chicanes.

The answer, the best us feeble minded normies can figure out, is going back to "Manual,12", or as I'll be referring to it, "Manual", 98-99% of all battery usage will be determined by the driver.

The simplest, repeatable formula I've surmised so far is actually simpler than I was worried it would be;
Every time you exit a corner onto a major straight, wait until you grab a gear (usually 4th), and then boost all the way down to "20". This includes Tetre Rouge, Forza, Michelin, Mulsanne, Arnage, and Ford.

Burn through another 10-15% once you shift into 6th gear on all the major straights between Tetre Rouge and Indianapolis.

Small little bumps to the button out of Dunlop and Maison Blanche/Corvette (one track map I look at shows the two corners in one order, but another track map shows them reversed. Anyways, the corner were you attempt to stay off the yellow rumbles on the outside...) to get you going.

This consitently netted me 95% or more of the allotment.

Regardless of which Trim setting you're running, 4 or 12, you can spot check your Allotment throughout the lap to make sure you're still on schedule. ~55% entering Mulsanne corner, ~80% after Arnage, and always have ~10-12% for the exit of the Ford Chicane.

We don't need to do this for 24 hours, but if you get comfortable with it, I won't tell you not to, either. Like I said earlier, "Manual,4" will probably be fine when the field stretches out. It just isn't going to work when racing other LMP-1's.

Last edited:

Deb

@Nejtun, did your wheel get fixed? That is so strange, since I don't have a Fanatec, so I have no idea.

@Skid_Marc_, I ran an FFS in heat, an FFS in dark and tried some hot laps for qualifying last night. The thing I am struggling the most with the boost is that I seem not to be able to regenerate as much later in the stint as I can earlier in the stint, not lap, stint. I am not sure why this is but in later laps, I come off the starting line with less in the blue box and can't regenerate enough to use up the red box. This is not a problem in laps say 1 - 6 but later on. I don't think that it is a change in my driving style because the reduction is very consistent across stints and across traffic patterns. So I am running out of boost in the blue box sometimes, i..e, it goes down to zero, particularly at La Florandiere and Mulsanne. I do often use some boost after Tertre Rouge, depending on what I have in the blue box and may use it after the L'Arche Chicane, but generally later in the stints, I don't have extra. So, should boost be managed not only over a lap but also over a stint?

I well try the Manual 12, but I would think that would take significant practice to learn the optimal boosts for each straight. I agree, I don't think we will be racing LMP1s as much as passing HPDs and GTEs, so it may not be that significant. I was thinking about this last night, that maybe in the first and second stints, we need to more proactively manage the boost because that is when you will be really racing the LMP1s, but after that it will not be as important. So perhaps we start with Manual 12 and change it as traffic patterns change.

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics