[BMW 120 Series] Round 1 - Daytona Road Course

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
For anyone looking to run the 24 Hours of Daytona in the BMW, there is a warm-up race this weekend, January 12th, 2020 @ 12:00 GMT, featuring the one, and only, BMW M8 GTE.

It is a 2-hour (120 minutes) team endurance race. I believe these will be run before each Endurance race this year? I would at least expect it again before the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and maybe the 12 Hours of Sebring?

Anyways, its a good warm-up race for anyone interested.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
I'll be on tonight turning laps in whatever the latest setup is. If I can get the car around the track without killing myself and others I may run this in the morning (God help us all).

Anyone else considering running this tomorrow?

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
BMW just tweeted out saying this race was going of at "19hrs GMT". I can't access thr forums on mobile, but could someone confirm which time is correct? 19:00 GMT would be much more U.S. Friendly...

Brainling

Hardcore
I probably won't drive the BMW in the 24, but I would do this race anyway just for fun and to get back in the saddle around Daytona. If anyone needs a partner let me know.

Brainling

Hardcore
I'm actually not going to be around to race this today, have an important errand I need to run right as it starts.

I'll be around later this afternoon to run Road America in IMSA if anyone wants to shoot the shit.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Thanks @Deb for joining me in yesterdays BMW 120.

Unfortunately it didn't really go our way and ended in an early DQ with approx. 40 mins to go.

Race highlights/lowlights:
  • Turn 1 Lap 1: took aero and possibly suspension damage 3 wide outside. We gave plenty of room however the middle BMW failed to turn and hit our front wheel.
  • Pit maneuvered prior to bus stop
  • 2x car contact (my fault) entering straight. Everyone it seems is struggling quite badly here so if you get a good run leave more space than you think you need to. People are not only getting through here slowly but many aren't getting on throttle until quite late.
  • Multiple offtracks avoiding wrecks or unyielding traffic.
  • Shattered nerves.
  • -30 iRating :confused:
I really hope this isn't foreshadowing things to come as this could be some of the worst and most irresponsible driving I've ever experienced.

Deb

Yeah, that was total craziness, how do you pit maneuver someone on a straight where it is easy to go 3 wide, just insane :eek:

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics