Borderlands 2 Test Stream

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Hey all,

I wonder if you can help me dial in the best possible video experience on Twitch when streaming FPS'?

The issue I've been having is horrible "twitching" for lack of a better word in that the stream could not keep up with the action on my monitor. The problem seems to be more with XSplit and Open Broadcaster however using XSplit to stream capture from DXTory has shown some promise.

The stream in question has been highlighted at our Fragtardnet Twitch Channel and can be viewed here:

http://www.twitch.tv/fragtardnet/c/4932874

Personally I'm not too happy with the quality and will work on improving that but the gameplay seems somewhat fluid no?

Thanks for your help.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
...oh and btw, I wasn't wearing my headset properly so that's all the heavy wind into the mic. No I'm not masturbating and no there is no fan by my head lol.

Looked pretty fluid to me. Wish I could stream that quality... Don't think you can go a whole lot better then this with the way twitch handles things

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Looked pretty fluid to me. Wish I could stream that quality... Don't think you can go a whole lot better then this with the way twitch handles things
Thanks for the feedback NT.

The video quality degraded a bit when I was monkeying around trying to get it to stream smoothly so there may be a little room left to improve on the quality somewhat.

I'll likely play through Borderlands 2 here and there just to get the video quality dialled in a bit over the next few weeks. Oddly enough, I gained 2 followers from that short session so if people enjoy watching it I may start an entirely new life as the Mechromancer and play through it a bit.

I wonder if I can embed a Twitch Player into the forum sidebar where it streams if we're live so those who login can see what's going on over at Twitch?

Duke, if you see me on steam and you're going to play some borderlands 2, hit me up and I'll join you for some co-op. I promise not to be a tard.

ElektroVodka

Staff member
Admin
i promise not to be a tard.
Like a drunk alcoholic at an AA meeting saying he's sober :)

Anyway the quality is way above what most "regular" streamers achieve, so i expect 24/7 streaming in 4K from D00k being announced in the not so distant future.

How about we(read:you) make a page like the server status page but for twitch.
You can embed multiple twitch streams into a page like we embed the YouTube streams in a forum post.

For now i am using multitwitch.TV a simple web page that combines streams you pre selected all on one page.
//edit: Lol after posting i noticed a plugin not loading on the forum which turns out to be a twitch player! Awesomesauce! When did u add that Duke, and will we be able to stream to that as well?

Last edited:
I agree, the frame rate looks easily good enough for streaming. Because an FPS is so sensitive to frame rates it might be less suited for streaming but there's not much you can do about it I think. I don't think any of the viewers would complain or even notice it.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Duke, if you see me on steam and you're going to play some borderlands 2, hit me up and I'll join you for some co-op. I promise not to be a tard.
Tard away my friend, no worries :)

I'll likely start a new life as the Mechromancer and play through that a bit as Singleplayer on Twitch.

If you see me online, let's hook up and definitely do some Coop. Did you want to start a new game there as well or do you have a character levelled up you'd like to use? Either way let me know and I'll try to work around it.

Like a drunk alcoholic at an AA meeting saying he's sober :)

Anyway the quality is way above what most "regular" streamers achieve, so i expect 24/7 streaming in 4K from D00k being announced in the not so distant future.

How about we(read:you) make a page like the server status page but for twitch.
You can embed multiple twitch streams into a page like we embed the YouTube streams in a forum post.

For now i am using multitwitch.TV a simple web page that combines streams you pre selected all on one page.
//edit: Lol after posting i noticed a plugin not loading on the forum which turns out to be a twitch player! Awesomesauce! When did u add that Duke, and will we be able to stream to that as well?
Actually, I streamed again last night and think the quality may have improved ever so slightly however there was a hiccup that concerns me a bit.

I'm trying to come up with a realistic schedule that I can stream on that works around iRacing as that's my highest priority.

I've already looked into multi-twitch as well and see a lot of promise there in the future but how to implement it properly around here may be a challenge. It certainly won't work in the forums so it'll either have to be a static page (not ideal) or something I integrate into Wordpress (preferred).

We'll have to see how regular we overlap stream times between numerous users before investigating this route though. Assuming there is a need for this then we'll look into it but for now it's just "something on the horizon" we'll have to keep in mind for the future.

The Twitch Player was added to the Sidebar last night but I'm not sure if it ever streamed? I've changed the code there in hopes that it will capture the stream and will be testing it in the upcoming days.

I hope it works because streaming media up there will draw the eye really quickly.

Assuming I can get it to work, I'll consider a complete redesign of our current template system as I'll want a larger player, a larger area for YouTube and also an integrated "Fragtard on Twitter" feed.

I agree, the frame rate looks easily good enough for streaming. Because an FPS is so sensitive to frame rates it might be less suited for streaming but there's not much you can do about it I think. I don't think any of the viewers would complain or even notice it.
You're probably right.

I'll likely try some other games as well such as Battlefield 4 just to make sure I have it set for the best possible experience. My concern being the stream won't work as well if I'm online during stream.

As it is right now, I'm uploading really close to my cap and I fear that combined with the Polling rate of a modern shooter may be enough for the Stream to grind to a halt.

Yeah it's a great game. I completed the main story arc and some of the DLC (Tiny Tina is a great character) and it was worth it 100%.

I tried to get into tales of the borderlands but Borderlands 2 is where it's at for me. Glad you are enjoying it Deb! It only gets better and better, you're going to love it :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keira
Top Bottom