Cyberpunk 2077 delayed to Sept 2020

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
In what is possibly the most disappointing news ever, the long awaited/anticipated ambitious Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed until Sept 17, 2020.

From the Developer "We are currently at a stage where the game is complete and playable, but there's still work to be done. Night City is massive - full of stories, content and places to visit, but due to the sheer scale and complexity of it all, we need more time to finish playtesting, fixing and polishing. We want Cyberpunk 2077 to be our crowning achievement for this generation and postponing launch will give us the precious months we need to make the game perfect."

As much as this news disappoints I find the comment "We want Cyberpunk 2077 to be our crowning achievement for this generation..." interesting as it means the worst we can expect is Witcher 3 quality?

...and I think that's really the story behind this delay. CDProjekt know eyes are on them and The Witcher 3 is the standard it will be measured against.

They have to knock it out of the park which is a tall ask for a Developer who's never done first person, verticality, driving, shooting, destruction and in-depth character customization (outside abilities).

Cyberpunk-2077-delayed.png

Last edited:
DIsappointing, but I'm okay with it. Let them polish away.

The new release date also tells me they want to support ray tracing on the new consoles. They are already doing the work to support it on PC/RTX, this puts CP77 in the launch window for the two new consoles with RT hardware. Which means they will get an AMD implementation of RT that they can back port to the PC when AMD releases PC ray tracing hardware (which is inevitable with both consoles having the hardware).

That's a shame, but I guess these days almost what to expect for projects of this size... Luckily there's enough good stuff coming out, and already out, to spend time with :)

Deb

Just read some notes on the release of Cyberpunk. Sounds like there will be some interesting decisions on how much of this game can be streamed :rolleyes:

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Just read some notes on the release of Cyberpunk. Sounds like there will be some interesting decisions on how much of this game can be streamed :rolleyes:
Do you have a link @Deb?

I'll be really surprised if it can't be streamed in its entirety on channels that run adult content warnings.

Maybe this is in light of COPPA issues surfacing earlier in the year, don't know? Having said that, if you warn your audience the content is adult in nature and they click or agree to watch said content then it shouldn't be your problem as a broadcaster.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
I've been through this video and haven't seen anything suggesting it cannot be live streamed. I've also not seen any Gaming News outlets suggest similar.

Although the game is adult in nature its audience ratings have been established (for the most part). Currently Cyberpunk 2077 is rated M for mature (17+) with some giving it a higher rating of 19+.

Shockingly, you'll be able to play the unedited version of Cyberpunk 2077 in Australia.

There is actually little in the game that has not already been present in some form in many other titles:
  • Drug and alcohol use/abuse: The Witcher 3, Mass Effect, Max Payne and countless others.
  • Open body cavities, gibbing, decapitation: The Last of Us and almost every zombie game. Blade of Darkness would even allow you to cut off an enemies limbs and beat others to death with them.
  • Sexual acts/poses/climax: The Witcher 3.
  • Nudity: The Witcher 3, Conan Exiles.
  • Genital Slider: Conan Exiles. Of note, Cyberpunk 2077 will be the only game I know of that doesn't differentiate sexes. The game will feature body type and it's up to the player to pick genitalia and size.
  • Cruelty: this is the only one I'm unsure of. I can't remember a game where you actively participate in a crucifixion but apparently you do in Cyberpunk 2077.
The video suggested consider Cyberpunk 2077 the HBO version of a typical video game, very apropos.

CDProjekt is no stranger to adult themes as it's been present in their games since the beginning. Their games simply evolve as the audience evolves not only in presentation but in gameplay.

In The Witcher 3 you could go to a bar or brothel, pick up a sex worker and you'd get to see the act shy of penetration. The same could be said for love interests.

In the original Witcher sexual conquests were presented in form of a watered down Playboy stylized card of your partner in risque poses/dress.

From a sheer hype standpoint I really don't see Twitch taking a stand against Cyerpunk as it equates to a truck load of revenue. They'll make money from ads while receiving their cut from the hundreds of thousands of viewers as they cheer and subscribe or even purchase the game through their favorite streamer.

This games development has been watched by hundreds of thousands of people for nearly 7 years now and the hype is only increasing.

Adding to this is the success of The Witcher 3, CDProjekts stand toward value in games (leaving greed to others/no micro-transactions), additional free content, DRM free gaming via GOG, expansions larger than many stand alone games, etc.

Currently CDProjekt is among one of the highest regarded Gaming Developers on the planet, deservedly so.

Cyberpunk 2077 has also the highest amount of custom 3rd party hardware I've seen of any game in history. You can purchase custom Cyberpunk NVIDIA Video Cards, Steelseries Cyberpunk custom headsets, X-Box One X bundled gaming consoles, Limited Edition Cyberpunk X Box Contoller, and God only knows what else?

We still haven't heard from Sony on whether there will be a Cyberpunk 2077 themed Playstation but my guess is there will be.

... and remember, everything you've read/seen is either pre-marketing, general hype and/or ARG fueled hype.

CDProjekt has a really clever alternate reality game that's been keeping hype alive since 2018.

CDProjekt has not as of yet begun the marketing campaign for Cyberpunk 2077. Everything you've seen is either pre-release, vertical slice or 3rd party hype.

The campaign is supposedly starting June I believe so expect to see it everywhere in commercial form on all online streaming services and likely prime time television.

Above all though the Developer just ticks all the boxes and delivers quality. Even if you don't like their games you cannot help but respect the work gone into them and the Developers stance on Consumer friendly practices.

Even if they deliver a bug ridden mess (which is possible), they'll fix it quickly and reward you for your patience as a Consumer.

If you're read this far you can probably tell I'm a fanboi but I'm far from alone.

I'm confident roadblocks either real or perceived will disappear because the revenue associated with this title is astronomical and I just can't see anyone actively passing on making a buck off it.

...especially when COVID has us all at home, bored, and looking for something fresh and fun to do.

Last edited:
Me personally, I won't play a game if it doesn't have a dong slider.

A cruelty one springs to mind Ken, in GTA 5 you are forced to participate in a torture scene - choosing weapons to torture a person in a basement. The story portion of the game won't let you proceed unless you do this mission so it takes away the choice of whether to engage in the scene or not. Pretty nasty. And I remember doing some part time work in a game store and parents were like "ah nah this is fine all my kid's friends are playing it, it can't be that bad!" Errr... yeah it is... o_O It's 18 for a reason *slaps forehead*

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Me personally, I won't play a game if it doesn't have a dong slider.

A cruelty one springs to mind Ken, in GTA 5 you are forced to participate in a torture scene - choosing weapons to torture a person in a basement. The story portion of the game won't let you proceed unless you do this mission so it takes away the choice of whether to engage in the scene or not. Pretty nasty. And I remember doing some part time work in a game store and parents were like "ah nah this is fine all my kid's friends are playing it, it can't be that bad!" Errr... yeah it is... o_O It's 18 for a reason *slaps forehead*
That's right, I forgot all about that scene.

It'll be interesting to see how it's framed in Cyberpunk because I couldn't relate with GTAV's main characters, especially Trevor.

None to me were nearly as compelling or as interesting as Niko Bellic in GTA1V.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Yep, saw this on Twitter and my heart sank.

I really wonder if this is due to all the secrecy and nonsense surrounding the PS5 reveal?

At this point in time it's the only thing that makes sense because I'm sure they're working on CP2077 Themed Hardware just like a lot of other OEM's.

CP2077-Nov-delay.jpg

I think it's a blend of both. I think yeah, they are probably lining up some hardware deals, probably both on the console and PC front (as a new round of PC hardware is expected in the general time frame).

I think equally they are being honest that they just need more time. Being given an extra couple months to polish, while also lining up with some interesting hardware deals, is a win for them. Sucks for us having to wait two more months, but it's a big win for them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarkiavov
Top Bottom