Got Elite: Dangerous as a gift.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Get ready to lose a lot of time. If you buy into the world and allow yourself to be immersed by it, you'll lose hundreds of hours.

E

ElektroVodka

Yay another CMDR! Prepare for an insane loss of time Tex ;-)

Ninj

Core
Tex, please let us know your Commander name. I at least owe you one bailout after you came and saved my butt in Voyage Century with your fat battleship. Nothing like a debt being repaid around 7 or 8 years later.

Daunt

MLG Pro
I'm probably in the minority, but I actually prefer it without HOTAS (and I have one). I'm not sure if it's just that space games don't translate to HOTAS as well or what. It makes (obviously) perfect sense to me when I'm in a flight sim, but in Elite I really enjoy the mouse and keyboard.

Either way, welcome to Elite. There's a thread stickied in the Elite forum for dropped your CMDR name so we can all shoot shit together.

I am prepared for the loss of time ;)
I've been losing time in Witcher 3 recently anyway lol.
I am actually waiting for my Thrustmaster joystick to show up via UPS.
I purchased the "T Flight Stick X" which is definitely "budget"; but I am definitely on a budget at this time.
I did try using keyboard and mouse; but after one try drunk, and one try sober: I realised that was a terrible way to fly.
Joystick should be here in the next day or two...
Commander name: Tex Arcana

Last edited:
*Fools around with steel, and silver swords while waiting for UPS to deliver joystick*
Any day now. Watching tutorials and getting familiar...
Tex, please let us know your Commander name. I at least owe you one bailout after you came and saved my butt in Voyage Century with your fat battleship. Nothing like a debt being repaid around 7 or 8 years later.
The "VBS Vimy Ridge" was a good ship. I do miss the fun we had on the high seas. :)

Joystick is here.
Started into the flight tutorials...Using them to figure out what my button mapping should be.
I have a Thrustmaster T Flight Stick X. Pretty basic: With 12 buttons plus throttle-slider and hat. But no preset maps available for it from what I can tell...
I can now use thrust control, target, and shoot a moving target.
Will be hammering through the basic tutorials over the next couple days (using them to aid mapping the buttons how I THINK I'll want the JStick plus Keyboard laid out...hoping to hit real space by Sunday latest (get out and collect a few bounties in order to get out of this Sidewinder ASAP!)...

Well, after 3 self-destructs because the learning curve for fuel/travel/galaxy map is a little steep: I finally have that figured out.
After that I headed out to a Nav beacon and killed evil-doers...FINALLY earning some credits lol.

FINALLY broke out of the Sidewinder. I'm in a Viper now. And it's pretty much at full capability: Made 1.2 million in 2.5 hours this morning. And have upgraded the Viper as much as seems sensible/possible.
I'm farming up some extra loot now...wonder where to go, and what my next ship should be.
I am in the Rotanev System. Appears that the Fed likes me ;)

Ninj

Core
In terms of advice for next ship, it depends on your play style and what you like doing in the game -and intend on doing next.

If you're after more combat, I would recommend moving up to a Viper mk4 (new since horizons/1.5) which has a bit more firepower and can take a bit more damage, but it's slower than the viper mk3. You could try out a diamondback scout if you're after something very nimble.

If you want a multi purpose craft then Cobra mk3. It can do a bit of exploration, some trading (it's great for rares and smuggling) - and it can stand up to some combat, it's as nimble as viper mk 3. It's undervalued as they come, it's also the fastest ship in the game, it can reach 400 m/s with boost or 454 if you upgrade thrusters!

If you want to trade, a type 6 is the place to start... and now there's the option of the keelback which actually gives you half a chance to shoot back. :)

There's a ship comparison tool out there, you can find it by visiting: http://elite.nutty-gamer.com/

Ninj

Core
Also, if you're not aware: you can get a 15% discount on new ships by heading to a Li Yong Rui (Sirius Corp) system.. the discount also applies to hardpoints. Maybe not so useful if you're buying a 500k ship, but once you move to the next stage of around 5 mil (asp and vulture) then the travel time is worth it.

Please note: if you've pledged to a powerplay faction at this point and that faction isn't sirius corp I don't think you can get the discount.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=153285

Thanks for the tips Ninj.
I haven't pledged.
I'm just farming credits a bit for now.
I may get/try a couple of the ships you mentioned: Credit farming by combat at present seems to be easy and somewhat lucrative with a KWS equipped.
I made 2 million in 3 hours yesterday...

Ninj

Core
:)

If you've got any empire bounties outstanding to cash in there's an active community goal that's due to end on Thursday. You can make a few extra credits by heading over there. Just make sure you sign up to the community goal on the bulletin board before you cash in the empire bounties. The system itself has a low res site which should help get a few more empire bounties if you want a higher reward. (Community goals have a tiered reward system, you get a reward based on your contribution)

The community goal is at:
System: Arawere.
Station: Tanaka Gateway

If you want to know more about community goals and see what's going on at the moment, the fans on the frontier website keep a thread updated:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=187372&p=2885417#post2885417

I haven't even jumped more than 6 points away from where I started lol.
Want to get a handle on things a bit more; but I WILL check that Community Goals information in order to get a leg-up for when I truly enter the galaxy proper.
Thanks again.

One thing for sure: The game will tear you a new one if you try to over-reach in combat.
In any case: I am working on assist-off maneuvering. Crazy...

Ninj

Core
One thing for sure: The game will tear you a new one if you try to over-reach in combat.
In any case: I am working on assist-off maneuvering. Crazy...
Oh yes. You gotta be careful when choosing the types of combat zones/res sites that you are getting yourself involved with, especially when starting out. The larger ones are for the big ships.. or a wing that is working well together.

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads