My new Gaming PC Build - The Rabbit Hole

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Part 1: The Rabbit Hole

As many of you know, I'm in the process of building a new Gaming PC.

I love building new PC's and all the elements that go into it. I spend months in research, reading, watching review videos, checking benchmarks, getting up to speed on newer technologies; all of which drive my purchases.

It's a blast and I savor every single moment of it.

This time around however things are different. For the first time in my Gaming History, I'm building something that ultimately is shared online via Twitch and to a far lesser extent, YouTube (right @Skid_Marc_, @Daunt).

I feel this time around what I purchase will directly affect both how I present myself and the Community I love and I'm taking both extremely seriously.

...and given the finances involved in getting where I want to go I'd be remiss if I didn't state vanity also comes into play to a certain extent.

So ya, I've ended up falling into a rabbit hole of my own making and although this hole isn't bottomless, it's extremely deep indeed.

As it turns out, one purchasing decision doubled the price of the build so now it appears as if I'll spend closer to $10,000 once the dust settles.

If this sounds insane to you then you're correct if you look at it one way however look at it another and it oddly begins to make sense, at least to me.

Please allow me to explain.

The one problem I run into in EVERY SINGLE BUILD is the case. To date, I've never found a PC Case I've liked and always settled for features over aesthetic.

I'm also a Full Tower Case guy because I love having room. It makes everything easier the main thing for me being unobstructed wind-tunnel airflow and options in cable management. Plus I have a tendency to sometimes cut myself to ribbons when swapping out things such as Video Cards in smaller cases due to not having Frodo Fingers; no longer an issue.

My typical build usually takes between 6 - 12 weeks and it's usually due to toiling over a PC Case which again was an issue this time around.

There were a few good candidates such as the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass.

Phanteks-Enthoo-Evolv-X-Glass.jpg

It's a beautiful, simple yet elegant case that has nearly everything I want except 2 main drawbacks:
  1. It's mid tower
  2. Availability
The runner up to the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X is the BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900. This too is a very nice case with awesome cable and SSD Management and I think a marvel in engineering. The reason I passed on it is almost solely due to the IO on the front panel.

BeQuiet-IO.jpg

Aside from these cases there was nothing.

See, I want a nice, understated and professional looking case this time around. This is the first build where I'm going top tier on a lot of Hardware so I want a case that I think helps convey that message.

Vanity 101.

...and it is here that my original plan starts to fall apart. Added weight to this is the fact I love Twitch Streaming and intend to do it long term, longer hours, better stream quality and more imagination.

Plus I really get a kick out of talking to folks while gaming so much so I rarely game offline anymore. It almost feels odd to game in an environment where there's no chat window to look at and shoot the shit with great folks like you all.

Added to this is the fact I'm now on Triple Monitors, one for gaming and two for streaming, with a 4th monitor coming online later in the year solely dedicated to chat windows and powered by a second computer (my current Gaming PC).

My current Gaming PC I believe is more than up to the task of handling my Twitch Streams so later in the year I'll have 2 PC's doing the job that one is currently handling.

So, if I'm going to go this far I need to add options to the build such as a Future Proof Capture Card, proper Stream Management Support and a Quality Microphone setup.

...and even with that done, I'll still have 1 Monitor held up by 2 coffee tables piled on top of each other and another sitting atop a 3ds Max 9 Bible and a Business Text. Also my G27 and shifter are right next to my mouse pad so I've little room when it comes to mouse movement.

This is a really big problem because it forces me to use higher mouse sensitivity in games which I hate. The reason is higher mouse sensitivity makes small movements near impossible for me. It takes me so long to line up shots, particularly distance shots, that it's agonizing and my gameplay has gone straight to hell because of it.

I initially overaim, correct by re-overaiming/compensating and then correct again to find my target. It drives me crazy as muscle memory is now completely gone and I have to look at what I'm doing.

As an example of how ineffective this is, a direct comparison can be made between 2 finger typing and proper typing.

You may be the quickest 2 finger typist on the planet but you will always lose to a person who types well, properly.

The reason, feel.

A person who types properly can feel a mistake prior to ever seeing it.

A person who 2 finger types usually only sees the error but rarely (if ever) feels the mistake communicated through a fingertip.

Gaming via muscle memory is the exact same thing and there are Websites dedicated to helping you setup all your games supporting continual use of muscle memory such as mouse-sensitivity.com.

Not only this, the small space between my keyboard and texts holding up my second monitor and G27 storage area make mouse usage a pain. It's a horrible setup I've hated for years so now is the time to address it.

So with all of the above in mind, I start to realize that I no longer can satisfy my need via a single system build. Instead, I need a complete overhaul of my entire Gaming Setup.

This series of realizations forms the lip of a rabbit hole I teeter perilously upon.

All it will take is one very small push to send me falling into the abyss.

Last edited:

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Part 2: The Push

After nearly 2 weeks of exhaustive searching I come across something I instantly fall in love with.

Enter the Phanteks Enthoo Elite.

Phanteks-Enthoo-Elite.jpg

With the exception of proper rear cable management it's got everything I want, it's elegant, it's understated, it's exceptionally functional and future proof however with one Big drawback...

...it's big, REALLY, REALLY BIG!

Actually, it's very expensive too but...

Last edited:
Lol. At first it sounds like you're trying to convince us it's not insane but i think you're really just trying to convince yourself haha. Go for it man! :p

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Lol. At first it sounds like you're trying to convince us it's not insane but i think you're really just trying to convince yourself haha. Go for it man! :p
Can it be both lol?

Actually this is a story so I'm hoping by the end you'll see why I've chosen this path.

Interesting stuff, these are my favourite threads... looking forward to the updates, and man when I said go big or go home you really did!

It sounds like you have your mouse problem in hand now (guffaw guffaw) but something I thought I would share is the mouse I have been using for the last couple of years - the Corsair M65 Pro;

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/corsair-m65-pro-rgb

Which has a handy "snipe" button where your thumb rests. When you press and hold or push once depending on your preference it lowers your sensitivity to a level set by you until you release it or push again. It's fantastic and works really well, I can personally recommend it.

It is solely responsible for me missing everything I shoot at by much less. I almost hit someone in 2017! What a year that was. Will be telling that story yo the grandkids and it's all thanks to that mouse.

Last edited:

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
I actually have a really good mouse @little P, just no space to use it.

I'm currently using a Logitech G502 Proteus and love the feel of it. It too has DPI switching as well as Gaming Profiles (of which I have 3 Custom configs so far) but that's not really my problem, it's more a matter of not enough desk space to actually move the mouse.

When I'm using my G27 or X55 Rhino the problem worsens. I actually have to move my keyboard forward to sit on my monitors stand which still only leaves me about 6" total mouse movement area.

In the case of the G27 I actually have to use the mouse with my wheels wiring atop it.

It's just horrible and time for a change.

What's going on Ken? I was hoping to play some BFV with you however on Steam you said the build is a bit whack. I'm sure you'll have a big breakdown of it all in the near future... hope to see you in game soon?

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
What's going on Ken? I was hoping to play some BFV with you however on Steam you said the build is a bit whack. I'm sure you'll have a big breakdown of it all in the near future... hope to see you in game soon?
Ya sorry @Kitlope, slowed things down and stepped away from the build to gain some perspective. I know this sounds crazy but I'm not overstating when I say everything that can go wrong, has.
Actually I think so. I got the Computer to POST a few minutes ago so I'll assemble it now inside the case and see what happens.

I can say though after being through all this it's always in your best interests to assemble only the basics and dry run on the Motherboard Box. It saves so much time and is far easier to access should there be an issue.

From this day forward I'll never assemble any other way.

Ya sorry @Kitlope, slowed things down and stepped away from the build to gain some perspective. I know this sounds crazy but I'm not overstating when I say everything that can go wrong, has.

Actually I think so. I got the Computer to POST a few minutes ago so I'll assemble it now inside the case and see what happens.

I can say though after being through all this it's always in your best interests to assemble only the basics and dry run on the Motherboard Box. It saves so much time and is far easier to access should there be an issue.

@Kenadian what has happened? Update please!

Told you I should have built it for you

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
@little P, I'll make a post stating exactly what happened during this build. It's too convoluted to really answer quickly and I'm more interested in getting it running atm lol, sorry.

Installing Windows 10 now :)

All I can say is, it's beautiful, really beautiful.

I've buttoned up most of the front cable management but still don't have the GPU in nor the PSU properly mounted or secured. Also, there's a lot of cable management at the rear I need to attend to but it looks as if it will be simple to clean up.

More updates soon.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Ya sorry @Kitlope, slowed things down and stepped away from the build to gain some perspective.

It's funny, @Brainling and I had this exact conversation Wednesday night. It's the way we've built all of our systems, and it can't be said enough how critical this step is. It's so easy, it takes almost no additional time, and it has the potential to save so much precious time to verify or diagnose any potential issues.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
I learned the hard way on this one @Skid_Marc_ but I've a history of just assembling and running so I was operating on an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

I also erred thinking this PC Case would make assembly more spacious, well, it did and it didn't. The motherboard still goes in the same spot it does in most every other case out there so you have what you have to work with.

In this Case it's almost arguably less as the front has a massive glass panel that's heavy and requires a thick frame to hold it up. Getting to the back panel covers such as installing a video card is a total pain in the ass and impossible to work with if over-tightened (as some were).

Funnily enough, I've spent the last half hour trying to figure out why I can't connect to the Internet. Then it dawned on me, I have a CD and no drive to install the Asus Software.

Thank God I have a few USB Flash Drives here so I dl'd what I needed from Asus' Website and you'd be amazed at how important it is to install a LAN Driver if you want Internet lol :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seraph
Top Bottom