Netflix (and other stuff) while in VR games.

So coming back to Elite: Dangerous and Eurotruck Sim with VR, one of the biggest problems I had was not being able to watch Netflix on my other monitor during the boring parts of the games. For me, that's super essential to my enjoyment of games like that.

Did a bit of searching and these are the two best options I've found:

http://www.hellov.io/ - Rift only as far as I can tell

- SteamVR, so Vive and Rift through SteamVR.

I've only tried V, but it's freaking amazing. It doesn't feel like it's out of place in the ship or anything. Having a Netflix window *in* my cockpit is just awesome.

If you're not using these, I'd highly suggest trying them.

A few of us use OVERdrop already Peeble :) it is very useful for iRacing being able to have a Stream running for example ( especially in cars with TV screens already fitted to the dash so you already have a place to put your new window! ), also great for having overlays like Z1 dashboard or Kutu fuel calc, good for people streaming too as you can pop out the chat and have it on screen without having to resort to "text to voice" to see what your viewers are saying.

This also was originally Vive only as it works with SteamVR, didn't know it worked with the Rift too though so this is even better! not sure for the hello.io thing but OVRdrop not only lets you have a permanent window but also lets you choose to have the window fade in and out when you look at it or shrink down to the size of a postage stamp when you are not. You can also hot key it so the window comes and goes at will.

Best part for streamers is only you can see it because the image is presented directly to the headset while obs records and transmits from the game image mirrored to your desktop.

Thumbs up to this software :cool:

I believe I read somewhere that Rift will soon have software from Oculus which will do the same thing. I think it's called "dash" or something. Certainly looking forward to it.

So coming back to Elite: Dangerous and Eurotruck Sim with VR, one of the biggest problems I had was not being able to watch Netflix on my other monitor during the boring parts of the games. For me, that's super essential to my enjoyment of games like that.

Did a bit of searching and these are the two best options I've found:

http://www.hellov.io/ - Rift only as far as I can tell

- SteamVR, so Vive and Rift through SteamVR.

I've only tried V, but it's freaking amazing. It doesn't feel like it's out of place in the ship or anything. Having a Netflix window *in* my cockpit is just awesome.

If you're not using these, I'd highly suggest trying them.
Hey Peeble, do you notice much of a performance hit in game when running Hellov?

One of these days I'm going to install this. Peeble, are you launching Elite from Steam or from Oculus home? Thought I saw on Hellov's website that you need to launch from Oculus in order for it to work and I always launch from steam :(

Just installed it and it works beautifully :) Only thing I have not been able to figure out is how to pull up the keyboard again once it disappears. (Short of calling up the application again.)

Just installed it and it works beautifully :) Only thing I have not been able to figure out is how to pull up the keyboard again once it disappears. (Short of calling up the application again.)
Yeah I'm not sure, when I need it up again I just look down and select the app again.

Top Bottom