New Simpit?

Daunt

MLG Pro
So I've been watching craigslist now... has anyone seriously considered making a pit from an old racing arcade game? I'm so tempted to get one that popped up on craigs list if he will come down to a measly $50. (The original unit doesn't work, and is pretty dusty.) But I feel like it would be insanely awesome to have as a simpit... would obviously require at least a few tweaks... to support multiple monitors, possibly a new/better seat.

This is the arcade I'm looking at (not the same exact one obviously, as this one looks nice and shiny and working)

segaturbo.PNG

As I said, probably would remove the wheel and create some sort of short platform that I can mount the wheel to. Cut out the monitor area entirely so I can put my large main monitor there... would need to remove the right wall portion so my second monitor would fit right up against it.

little P

Super Mod
Oh man what a great idea, I'd have to keep the original wheel and pedals somehow though ;)

DEW EET! (if you've got the room!)

Daunt

MLG Pro
Well I've not really said anything yet but since the it has been going along well thus far, my fiance and I are close to buying our first house. And I of course have a whole, very nice, basement to work with. Already got the approval. :icon_cheesygrin:

I do like that pit too because, it's tough to tell in that picture but you can actually see through the darkened glass that is behind the driver's head. So you can watch the race.

I agree, that would be very cool. But, it wouldn't be that hard to create your own and so make it fit your rig. I know this one isn't as simple as I am stating but I created it a few years ago before I got into motion simpits.

Daunt

MLG Pro
You're right. It wouldn't be hard. But there's something about having the arcade down there that is much cooler and more receptive to my fiance than having whatever I build.

I am going to pick up that Sega Turbo tomorrow :p hopefully in a month's time ish I'll be racing in it.

I take it that you will set up the monitor in portrait mode? Or will you alter the cabinet to mount triple screens in landzcape? Either way this is a very cool project. Good luck and let me know if I can help, did I mention that I own a custom cabinet shop with a cnc router? :)

Daunt

MLG Pro
No you did not but awesome! I'll be sure to keep you updated. I'll probably need all sorts of help. Already employed one of my friends who is handy and loves these types of things.

I will certainly be altering the cabinet. It would be ideal to keep things as original as possible but honestly, I just want a cabinet to use as a simpit. I'll probably need to do a few of these things, and would like to do a few more, depending on some variables:

• Remove monitor and probably the entire monitor section to fit my main 24" monitor
  • Rig something to work to get my second monitor to work... (currently I use a 3 monitor setup minus the left monitor when racing)
  • Remove steering wheel and pedals. I'd like to keep as much of the dash as possible.
  • Put in something that I can use for a stand for keyboard, drinks and mouse. Probably something that swivels, moves, etc.
  • Modify/replace seat entirely. This one has me worried as the current seat does not look like something I can sit in for hours. It doesn't even appear to be adjustable (on rails). So who knows what it would require to remove the seat and put in a racing / sim seat.
It will be a project but one I'm looking forward to and plan to document to show off! and thanks historiker!

E

ElektroVodka

Awesome project Daunt!
And that price is almost a steal if you ask me :)

This would be an awesome base for a curved screen me thinks :)

Daunt

MLG Pro
Interesting idea Quick!

I picked it up today. It's not exactly mint, so I feel no remorse about making modifications to it. It boots up somwhat, but the screen is all gurbled as if the cartridge isn't in right in the old NES games.

I'll take pictures when I clean it off and start tearing it apart. First step will be to remove most of the electronics, the old tube, etc. I'll start a new thread when I do that, and try to document the entire transformation.

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads