PC Benchmark thread (Part Deux) - Firestrike

little P

Super Mod
Well after disappointing results with Cinebench I was wondering if all of us could run Firestrike and compare numbers. Firestrike is the benchmark a lot of tech review sites etc. use so I'd like to see if it's just a one off with Cinebench or if I really do need to start looking at something possibly being not quite right with my system.

Here's a link to the free Benchmark -

http://www.futuremark.com/support/downloads

And here's my score. Would love to see how it compares to yours.

Untitled.jpg

EDIT: This was all factory speeds, no overclocking. So if you have overclocked your system could you run at stock or at least state if it's an overclocked result. Thanks all :)

E

ElektroVodka

Will do when i get back at the keyboard.

Did a run on my phone tho.

Score23309
Can't touch this! Not only is this device one of the most powerful available, but your score is also better than average.

Giggity

E

ElektroVodka

Lol, it ran the first test fine, upon entering the second one everything went black and the system came back with a bsod.

Turns out i finally pushed the last juice out of that memory as i'm down to 2GB total registered memory.

I'll run the test once i get my new RAM.

D.O.A.

Hardcore
its late and i'm still pissed at LittleP for his merciless beatdown he gave me in Injustice ,cant be arsed messing with screenshots and resizing so here's the link to the detailed results : >clicky< .

Ps, i ran all of em :p .

little P

Super Mod
D.O.A. the least I could do is upload it for you after the Injustice session (which incidentally is available for viewing on my Twitch channel *cough* lol)

D.O.A.'s score;

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for these scores chaps this is the sort of numbers I was hoping for, anyone else want to give it a go feel free, would be interesting to see the results :)

E

ElektroVodka

What speed is your GPU clocked at? I don't think it's factory default.

Just checked my buddies g1 with a 4790k and 8 gigs of ram and he scored 9049 which imho is too low.

Ran it multiple times but never got over 10k.
I had to apply a slight oc to make the score in line with yours.

Oh and i got 3 different results on my own system.
Non OC the highest i could get was 9967, with a slight factory OC it went up to about 11.5k
This is on 4GB 667mhz memory (salvaged from a server that was lying around here.)

little P

Super Mod
What speed is your GPU clocked at? I don't think it's factory default.

Just checked my buddies g1 with a 4790k and 8 gigs of ram and he scored 9049 which imho is too low.

Ran it multiple times but never got over 10k.
I had to apply a slight oc to make the score in line with yours.

Oh and i got 3 different results on my own system.
Non OC the highest i could get was 9967, with a slight factory OC it went up to about 11.5k
This is on 4GB 667mhz memory (salvaged from a server that was lying around here.)
Factory overclock - here is my GPU-Z

Untitled.jpg

I have 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHZ RAM, not sure if the RAM affects the GPU score? I wouldn't have thought so. I haven't overclocked the G1 since the first few days I got it, I couldn't get a stable overclock and didn't really need it anyway so gave up and have never tried since.

Dunno about your friends score, that is very low for a 970, the overclocked ones from msi, gigabyte etc. are normally around the 10k mark from what I've read. Maybe the metal filings that went everywhere when I had to junior hacksaw my hard drive bays to fit the damn thing in have given it some kind of superhero powers? Or maybe it was the fluid that sprayed everywhere from the compressed air because I didn't shake it enough? Come to think of it, how is my PC working at all? :confused:

Wapwap

Staff member
Admin
I ran the test another time after putting the system in 'OC-mode' with MSI Gaming App.
The CPU clock was boosted from 3.3 Ghz to 3.8 GHz, however looking at the details of the previous test it says that the max CPU clock was 1.2 GHz. I'm not sure why it didn't went higher than that. I'll have to look this why it does that in 'non-OC' mode.
Clock speed of the GTX 970 was boosted to 1380 MHz.

Firestrike_OC.PNG

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6605335

Last edited:

Wapwap

Staff member
Admin
Dunno about your friends score, that is very low for a 970, the overclocked ones from msi, gigabyte etc. are normally around the 10k mark from what I've read. Maybe the metal filings that went everywhere when I had to junior hacksaw my hard drive bays to fit the damn thing in have given it some kind of superhero powers? Or maybe it was the fluid that sprayed everywhere from the compressed air because I didn't shake it enough? Come to think of it, how is my PC working at all? :confused:
Probably a combination of all those things mentioned :p
It looks like your card is 'boosted' a little bit more. Below a screenshot of my 970. Looking at the differences; your card has more ROP's than mine and has a higher Pixel Fillrate. That's probably the difference in performance.

MSI_GTX970.gif

Wapwap

Staff member
Admin
Hmm, looking at my screenshot again.. not sure why it's running at PCI-E v1.1 while the card and the motherboard support v3?
EDIT: never mind, I had to run the render test. It shows v3 now.

E

ElektroVodka

There's definetly something wrong with his g1 as i have to oc it beyond the factory oc to get your "defaults".
His is just 2 months old so i guess getting a replacement won't be a problem.

Mine is doing great now given the situation tho, never expected that memory to handle it this well.

Kitlope

Hardcore
Ok Now that I'm back in the city after working at that god awful refinery I ran Firestrike, version 1.1. Seems there was a small patch for it, not sure when it was released. Keep in mind these results include a 6 core Intel 980 processor OC from 3.33 to 3.72 Ghz and 2 NVidia 780 GTX which seem to almost be outdated now that it's been almost 2 years of having them. 12 Gb of ram.

In all honesty when I do a big upgrade I can only see an enthusiast chip in my future, like what Wappy has although I may wait for Broadwell or Skylake's release of it rather than jumping on a Haswell.

This is my real world gaming system and I know the second card is skewing the results in comparison to everyone here with 1 card. I'll disable SLI and run it again.

Last edited:

Daunt

MLG Pro
Bringing this up for Gintas to take a look at. Also can we sticky this thread?

Just wondering if anyone has ran this recently? I'm planning to do so on my home PC and work PC. The scores have changed a bit now because there are multiple tests, there's no more overall score.. The relevant test for gaming is called "creative" now, and they're benched separately and labeled appropriately.

Daunt

MLG Pro
Maybe that isn't the point of these benchmarks (purely to test 1 computer on the same playing field as another) but shouldn't I be able to see ratings of hardware components? I want to be able to see my bottleneck, or how each part ranks and contributes to my score.

Kitlope

Hardcore
That's probably in the paid version Daunt.

I lost my OC settings within my bios as it died on me a couple times last week , resetting everything (date, time etc). Thought maybe the little mb battery was dying (5+ year old mb) but that shouldn't affect anything unless unplugged, which it wasn't or lost power in the home which didn't happen. Couldn't figure it out and thought I might be heading to the local computer vendor for some parts after hours of diagnosing. Being the lazy shmuck that I am I thought "hey, I'll just reseat the ram cause it's simple and fast to do. And there's a flashing red light on the mb that I think is a ram test light of sorts".

Sure shit, it's been 5 days and not a problem now. Bonus points because I'm at the default of 3.33 Ghz so I'll run another test (old test to try and keep it apples to apples).

I don't think it's going to make much of a difference though as I think this is mostly a GPU test... just check out the little difference between Wappy & Little P's score even though there's a massive difference in their processors.

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads