Rift on Sale - $400 ($525CDN)

Figure someone might be interested that hasn't picked up a VR headset yet. - https://www.oculus.com/rift/

I really wana pick one of these up for iracing, but still have to replace a busted set of pedals first.

*Edit - Correction, it's $549CAD

Last edited:

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Thanks for the heads up ID.

I'm going to wait until Vive and Oculus are into the next gen of their VR before I buy, if I buy.

I know they're great for gaming but still unsure how they are when you stream and have to interact with chat while gaming?

Don't quote me on this but I believe the game is normally rendered on a monitor and then duplicated into vr form for the headset so you can capture the unaltered image still. Would definitely put some extra stress on your machine though. I am really tempted to pull the trigger on this even though I don't really have the cash for it :p

There's a program (you can get it on steam) called OVR Drop that would solve your streaming concerns Duke. Netjun uses it a lot. It basically opens any window in the headset and you can resize and shape it however you want ie. you'd still be able to see your twotters, twatters or whatever you call them talking to you in the twitch chat panel in the HMD. As for capturing you'd just capture the mirrored display same as any window you'd be capturing normally.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
There's a program (you can get it on steam) called OVR Drop that would solve your streaming concerns Duke. Netjun uses it a lot. It basically opens any window in the headset and you can resize and shape it however you want ie. you'd still be able to see your twotters, twatters or whatever you call them talking to you in the twitch chat panel in the HMD. As for capturing you'd just capture the mirrored display same as any window you'd be capturing normally.
That's good to know but wouldn't it overlay the gameplay footage?

I assume it probably just overlays the rift display.

I ended up making poor financial decisions and ordered myself a rift today. :D

Nice one ID, welcome to the wonderful world of VR :)

Duke you just have the twitch chat app open then all you see is that, not your streaming footage. Nate knows more about it but it will do what you want it to do when you get VR and want to stream.

@Duke the OVRdrop program allows you to display a window like others mentioned above that only you can see and looks like one of the windows in elite dangerous that opens when you look at it , otherwise it is invisible or transparent , and tiny so it doesn't obstruct your game. Nobody else can see this. you can pop out chat in your own stream then close the main stream window and just capture that chat box so you are not wasting bandwidth watching your own stream.

dunno if that application works in the Rift but others on here who use the rift can let you know!

as for capturing your game to stream, any game you play grabs a 2 d mirrored version of itself that is displayed on your monitor and THIS is what OBS captures and puts out to stream.

an example below of what iracing looks like for example:

I recorded this to show a friend what VR and iRacing looks like but it should show what I mean just for the purpose of showing what OBS puts out.

@Duke
an example below of what iracing looks like for example:

I recorded this to show a friend what VR and iRacing looks like but it should show what I mean just for the purpose of showing what OBS puts out.
It always amazes me how difficult it is to explain what VR is like eh. You just can't explain what it's like in VR without just showing them, and this and all other VR videos just look like someone is using some kind of headtracking. You don't get the sense of depth or erm, how do you explain it? The sense of just being there, rather than looking through a window I guess is the best way? It is bloody brilliant though, when I get the new house I'm planning on getting a cockpit and getting into the VR racing a bit more. I did love being able to look around on the iRacing replays ;)

Good effort driving and talking ;P

dunno if that application works in the Rift but others on here who use the rift can let you know!
As far as I'm aware (looked into this topic a couple of weeks ago), OVRdrop uses the SteamVR API, not the Oculus one. The Rift does also support SteamVR, but you'll probably have to edit the rendererDX11.ini in order to force the Rift to use the SteamVR API. I've read somewhere on the iRacing forum that this might lead to a slightly distored view in the Rift. This is just hearsay though, I'm a HTC Vive user.

I actually had to edit the rendererDX11.ini in order to stop my Vive from using the Oculus API and loading the Oculus Store on my system, because I'm also running Revive for playing Rift only games.

Last edited:
Hey just an FYI, I seen on amazon.ca that Amazon Prime Day also has the Rift on sale and you get a $100 amazon credit when you buy one. Guess I should have waited a day to order :D

As far as I'm aware (looked into this topic a couple of weeks ago), OVRdrop uses the SteamVR API, not the Oculus one. The Rift does also support SteamVR, but you'll probably have to edit the rendererDX11.ini in order to force the Rift to use the SteamVR API. I've read somewhere on the iRacing forum that this might lead to a slightly distored view in the Rift. This is just hearsay though, I'm a HTC Vive user.

I actually had to edit the rendererDX11.ini in order to stop it from using the Oculus API and loading the Oculus Store on my system, because I'm also running Revive for playing Rift only games.
One more reason (of many!) to get a Vive over the Rift. The only thing the Rift has going for it at this point is it's so bloody cheap, but the old saying is true as always. Still, if you are only planning on using it for iRacing, and literally only that or a flight sim then for half the price it's worth putting up with the not as bright screen and smaller FOV. That's the only difference between the two in seated games and it's not massive so definitely a good buy if you are only in it for iRacing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Badwolfgee
Top Bottom