RTX 3000 cards announced

New GPU's are upon us:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...id=nv-int-cwmfg-49069#cid=_nv-int-cwmfg_en-us

Nvidia is claiming the 3080, coming it at 700 USD, is almost 2x the performance of the 2080 (non Ti). According to this digital foundry video (which is not an exhaustive review, but an early sneak peek), that seems to be not far off reality:

I'm personally waiting to see the benchmarks on the 3090, which is their new Titan. Coming in at 1500 USD, it's just a touch more than what i paid for my 2080 Ti, but should absolutely crush it. If that holds true, I'm definitely upgrading to a 3090.

Anyone else planning to upgrade?

I am keeping an eye on how the 3090 shapes up, but I am going to wait a couple of months to see if they release something "extra" before I splash the money on one. Also interested to see what the solution is for the power cables, does an adaptor come in the box? Or will the PSU companies like Corsair have an extra cable to buy that just swaps out for the current ones.
Cant wait to see how much more I can push my VR with one of those 3090s though!

I am keeping an eye on how the 3090 shapes up, but I am going to wait a couple of months to see if they release something "extra" before I splash the money on one. Also interested to see what the solution is for the power cables, does an adaptor come in the box? Or will the PSU companies like Corsair have an extra cable to buy that just swaps out for the current ones.
Cant wait to see how much more I can push my VR with one of those 3090s though!
Nvidia already confirmed an adapter will come in the box. More importantly though, unlike the Titan, there will be AIB cards for the 3090, which will all use regular 8-pin connectors (rumor is you'll need 3 for an OC'ed 3090).

@Nejtun Most people speculate that there will be something "extra" coming in 3 months or so. Might be worth the wait if you want the highest top-end card on the market for the start of 2021.
Me personally, i think 1500 $ for a GPU is getting close to ridiculous but if people have money to burn and there is a market for it, Nvidia will comply. I myself might have to build a new system next year and i definitely will go for Nvidia this time, I can not imagine AMD having an answer to this supreme performance from 3000 series. But since I will not be gaming in 4K but on a Samsung 49" , I am guessing a 3080 should do the trick. I refuse to spend 1500 $ on a GPU out of principle, even if I had the money. But I understand it for 4K gamers and VR users that want max performance. It makes sense I guess, otherwise almost nobody would buy them so I think in some way, they are worth it.
Also, that Nvidia Broadcast software looks interesting, greenscreen effect without the greenscreen, some weird magic shennanigans going on there. And, the noise reduction software is very nice for all the klicketty klacketty simracer gear shift noises. It's about time I can unmute those people and hear to what they have to say :)

I snatched up a 3090 this morning, the EVGA XC3 Ultra. I'm definitely in that crazy has the cash and wants the oomph use case (VR mostly). I highly doubt AMD or Nvidia will come out with anything faster for at least a year. Given that I paid 1300 for my 2080 Ti, and this is significantly faster than that, paying another 200 doesn't seem as crazy.

ooooh, nice one! I am VERY interested to see some real figures for iracing and DCS compared to your 2080 ti, plug it in!!! :D (ok , wait for it to be delivered first lol)

There's actually a Discord someone told me about that has a stock alert bot if you really wanted to "camp" out for one. Otherwise I'd just wait a couple of weeks, stock will normalize. Plus the 3070 releases on the 7th of October, so that will likely pull some of the heat off 3080 stocks.

holy moly, *slides wallet back into pocket* , I got a bit confused some way through though, but I am hoping he is saying that an FE card from Nvidia is NOT going to give problems?
Still waiting until January or so though and hopefully by then I will know which card to get.

Eh, I think people are over blowing it. If the companies using 6 SP-Caps in place of any MLCC's had shipped the cards with VBIOS's that didn't try and clock above 2000mhz, no one would be the wiser, and everyone's cards would technically be working at spec. There is a reason GPU makers don't print speeds above about 1800mhz on the box, but your GPU likely boosts much higher than that if it has the thermal and power headroom to do so. The power delivery on the cards with 6 SP-Caps would have no OC headroom, but most people would shrugged that off as "the silicon lottery".

Everyone who has a 6 SP-Cap card will certainly get a VBIOS update to their card which makes sure it doesn't attempt to OC past 2ghz which is the instability point for those cards.

If there is an outcome to this for me it casts less shade on 3000 series cards, and more shade at Zotac and Gigabyte for cheaping out on capacitors for video cards that cost 700+ dollars. And yes, Zotac in their infinite wisdom even shipped a 3090 with that power delivery configuration which has basically solidified I'll never buy a Zotac GPU.

Just don't buy Zotac or Gigabyte. All the other card makers figured it out and didn't ship without at least one cluster of the better capacitors. EVGA, Asus and MSI all got it right.

Also it's very unlikely this is the only cause of issues. I still think there are a lot of people trying to run 3080's on under powered PSU's. They figured their 500W PSU was fine for their last card, it'll be fine for this one, not realizing the Ampere cards use 50-100 more watts of power than their predecessors. Cheap PSU's especially will tend to have issues when they are asked to provide their peak power output for extended periods of time.

Driver released a couple of days ago that basically fixed the crashing issues most people were seeing. Some reviewers have tested it and say the overall performance of the cards didn't change, just a tweak to the way the boost steps are calculated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Regis779
Top Bottom