Scott Speed - - - Interesting Way to Make Friends

Wait, that was him? Holy shit, I saw the videos and stuff, but name didn't ring a bell :D
Was that him that was screeching at others too?

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Ya he got suspended for it too and has now apparently sold his Sim Racing Rig on Facebook.

Steve Myers had this to say about it on Polygon:

"Steve Myers, the executive producer of iRacing, confirmed Speed’s suspension to Polygon and said it was not a permanent ban, but declined to talk about the length of the sanction.

“We don’t do [a permaban] with anyone unless they’ve done something incredibly egregious,” Myers said. “It’s the same process for everyone and he wasn’t treated any different than anyone else.”

Myers pointed out that Speed contributed — on an uncompensated basis — to the dirt and rallycross racing series that were just added to iRacing at the end of last year. “I think people forget that he really poured his heart and soul into helping us develop the rallycross stuff on iRacing.”

That made the discipline tougher to mete out, though Myers said he had nothing to do with that. iRacing has a dedicated race steward, just like real life, who hears and adjudicates grievances. Speed was dealt with the same as any other driver, Myers said.

“At the same time, I’m the one who has a relationship with Scott,” Myers said. “So when something like this happens, it goes up the chain pretty quickly. I saw the video at, like, 1 a.m. in the morning and I wanted to throw up.

“I’ve known Scott since he was in NASCAR,” Myers added. “When I saw that, I sent him a message that said, ‘Man, this is unacceptable.’ And I told him that it was 99.9 percent [probability] that he was gonna get suspended for this.”

Though Myers stands by his steward’s determination and doesn’t excuse Speed’s behavior at all, he pointed out that Speed’s celebrity may have been involved in the provocation that sent him headhunting on the track. “With that celebrity comes a target on the back, and maybe people goaded him a little bit,” Myers said. “That does not help the situation.

“It’s easy to be kicking a guy when he’s down, but I think people forget he really poured his heart and soul into developing the rallycross stuff on iRacing.” Myers said."

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/3/16968222/scott-speed-iracing-suspended

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Except Mike and I were in that race, and there was no provocation what-so-ever. Also, Jake, the Pro-sim Racer / Streamer / Target of Scott Speeds Tantrum was silent over the microphone through the whole ordeal, only making a few comments out loud to his stream. Jake hasn't been out leading this charge about how he got wronged, he has kept his public opinion on the matter to either his stream (which I'm not pouring through looking for his response) or Twitter, where he simply posted a response to someone elses tweet;

...so no, it wasn't his "celebrity" that sent him headhunting after Jake. It was solely a childish reaction to a racing incident.

While I see where Tony is coming from, I don't buy the "he was goaded" crap. I've watched the original incident. At the absolute worst it was a racing incident, but frankly I think Scott wrecked himself on Jake's bumper by trying to squeeze him out. He wasn't even taking the ideal line, he was just trying to take Jake's space away. Zero racing room was given and he wrecked.

I totally get it, a lot of famous RL drivers do have targets on their back. Some meat head always wants to show the real pro how bad ass they are...but that doesn't excuse the behavior and doesn't even apply in this incident.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
While I see where Tony is coming from, I don't buy the "he was goaded" crap. I've watched the original incident. At the absolute worst it was a racing incident, but frankly I think Scott wrecked himself on Jake's bumper by trying to squeeze him out. He wasn't even taking the ideal line, he was just trying to take Jake's space away. Zero racing room was given and he wrecked.

I totally get it, a lot of famous RL drivers do have targets on their back. Some meat head always wants to show the real pro how bad ass they are...but that doesn't excuse the behavior and doesn't even apply in this incident.
Mike and I were even joking before the race, wondering if anyone wanted to place bets on Scott being taken out by some douche trying to show off, or get over-confident...
...little did we know....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Divinejames
Top Bottom