Streamlabs' Façade has Fallen

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
So if you don't follow the streamer news or are just casual into streaming, you may have missed the Twitter drama that went down a couple days ago;

For a background of how we got to this point, there is a 23-minute video from EposVox going through the full timeline, or, if you just want a quick entertaining rant, DarkViperAU is always here just for the entertaining gloss-over.

The result is StreamLabs making the same post every other company makes when they've been caught being terrible. A shit-post meaning they'll probably do the bare-minimum to appease the angry masses until this blows over.

It is important to know that, at the time StreamLabs came out, they DID make improvements to the OBS software that, arguably, made it easier to get set up. The problem is, the OBS dev-team saw this and also made improvements to their software making it easier to set up, and they will continue to do so going forward, making changes that probably won't be backwards compatible with SLOBS, and they'll do it for free, while StreamLabs has continued to offer fewer and fewer options, and offered to charge you for additional products.

I'm not going to tell someone who is using StreamLabs currently, to stop using their software. However, I would highly discourage you from giving them you're money, they haven't earned it. If you do want to switch, or need any help getting set up with OBS Studio, there are several Youtube videos telling you how to import your stuff from StreamLabs into OBS, and there are several users here, AND EVERYWHERE ELSE on the entire internet, that can help you with generally any issue that comes up with the software. I would personally even recommend using Stream Elements. Their version of OBS IS the actual OBS Studio, just with their own plug-in to add features like an in-program chat box, chat bot, and some other little features, as well as stream alerts. It's a lot LIKE StreamLabs, but they just give you everything for free without shoving a subscription at you all the time. Your install of OBS Studio will still be updated, by the OBS dev team.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
OBS has posted an update to this situation. Changes are coming to BOTH StreamLabs AND StreamElements.

Also, interesting note, StreamLabs' now posts your stream link pointing to StreamLabs' website, not directly to Twitch's website?

I'm guessing this is a change they made without asking @Second_Mate_Kayte? This is the first time the tweet has gone out like this. Two days ago, it directed you straight to her Twitch site.

I wonder what impact on viewership that has? Do people watching on StreamLabs' website count as viewers by Twitch? I would think yes, as, I think, @Kenadian gets views on this website to count as stream views, but considering raiding another stream on Twitch, via Twitch's own Raid function, doesn't actually give that streamer any views (you need to reload the raided channel to get rid of a "raid" string in the URL for your view to count), I'm always left questioning what actually counts for views on Twitch.

OBS has posted an update to this situation. Changes are coming to BOTH StreamLabs AND StreamElements.

Also, interesting note, StreamLabs' now posts your stream link pointing to StreamLabs' website, not directly to Twitch's website?

I'm guessing this is a change they made without asking @Second_Mate_Kayte? This is the first time the tweet has gone out like this. Two days ago, it directed you straight to her Twitch site.

I wonder what impact on viewership that has? Do people watching on StreamLabs' website count as viewers by Twitch? I would think yes, as, I think, @Kenadian gets views on this website to count as stream views, but considering raiding another stream on Twitch, via Twitch's own Raid function, doesn't actually give that streamer any views (you need to reload the raided channel to get rid of a "raid" string in the URL for your view to count), I'm always left questioning what actually counts for views on Twitch.

Oh, ok, that's what the check box was for. It definitley didn't explain, but without it checked, it acted like it wasn't going to post my notification. Thank you for pointing it out; I will definitely be unchecking that box.

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Endurance 2022

Daytona 24hr: IMSA
  ~ January 21 - 23
Bathurst 12hr: GT3
  ~ February 25 - 27
Sebring 12hr: IMSA
  ~ March 18 - 20
Nurburgring 24hr: GT3, GT4, PCup, Audi RS3
  ~ April 15 - 17
Watkins Glen 6hr: IMSA