VRS Week 8

Daunt

MLG Pro
Anyone as hyped as I am for week 8? lol

I love turning laps at Lonch Beach! Not that the racing itself is that great there. I'm considering putting up a hosted session sunday at 9 eastern if anyone else is interested.

Let me know.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Anyone as hyped as I am for week 8? lol

I love turning laps at Lonch Beach! Not that the racing itself is that great there. I'm considering putting up a hosted session sunday at 9 eastern if anyone else is interested.

Let me know.
This course terrifies me lol.

Not looking forward to it at all.

Interlagos though, yep, count me the f in.

Daunt

MLG Pro
Everyone just MIA on this (the best) week or I'm just turning laps on days where everyone is not on?

One thing I've noticed is that in some sessions, my lap times are 1:19.0xx - 1:19.2xx range... reliably. And I'm talking full fuel and not hot lapping. Doing stints.

Then the next session I can't even break 1:20. I get that weather is dynamic and such but it seems to affect the other cars a LOT less. I'm not sure if it is my driving, the audi, or everyone else is cheating.

But it's frustrating when I'm in a very busy practicing lapping as fast as 1:18.7xx and think i'm ready for a race then in my race my fastest lap time is like 1:20.2. I went from top 5% lap times in the practice session (which I take with a grain of salt, I know) to like bottom 10% speed in the race.

I need to pay closer attention to track temps and possibly the track state. Wondering if anyone has any tips and such. Or if this is just me not being gud.

I also gridded from pit lane but my split (which in fairness was a high sof close to 3k) did way better than I expected in terms of pacing before green and I could not make up any where near enough time.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Sorry Kyle, I have been moved "temporarily" to 13-hour weekdays, with an extra kicker of a 1am start time, so I can't do weeknights at the moment. I'm only around tomorrow and Saturday. Ken, too, is transitioning to a new schedule. I can't speak for him, but we've been doing out best to race every Friday, so far this season, and I plan to be there tomorrow ~8-8:30pm EDT!

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
I'll be on tomorrow night but this will be a drop week for me in VRS as I can't get cleanly around the track.

I may race Ferrari Fixed instead as it's at Red Bull Ring.

Daunt

MLG Pro
Ken's "can't cleanly get around track" = he's doing 1:17s on full fuel.

NP guys- was just wondering what was up. Not a good weekend for me i'll be MIA unfortunately. Trying to shoot for a Friday race is good to know.

But I'm wondering how much your lap times vary from session to session. Have you guys had such a dramatic swing from one to the next? I understand with the dynamic weather and track etc. It doesn't seem to affect anyone else really and I'm just confused.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
I don't worry about laptimes, I put more emphasis on /Session Leaderboard Times. I've seen Weather and Track state vary wildly between Sessions so I put little stock in whatever time I'm putting down.

The goal being to get on or as close as possible to Top 7 in a Practice Session. Don't think I've done a 1:17 tho, I thought I was mid 19's on the 3 laps I managed before killing the car lol.

Lately I've been checking laptimes Suzuki and Quirk put down as a loose target knowing I'll never achieve it. If I can be within a second of them then I'm doing well given my iRating is roughly half theirs.

Daunt

MLG Pro
You are correct Ken and I get that- Lap times are going to vary tremendously. But what is odd to me is that in my busy practice sessions I'm in the top 10% but then in the next session, I was easily bottom 10%. It was like I was racing in hot slick weather and everyone else racing at night.

Don't know if you guys have experienced something like that, or it's just me not adjusting properly or just in general being slow in hot weather.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
You are correct Ken and I get that- Lap times are going to vary tremendously. But what is odd to me is that in my busy practice sessions I'm in the top 10% but then in the next session, I was easily bottom 10%. It was like I was racing in hot slick weather and everyone else racing at night.

Don't know if you guys have experienced something like that, or it's just me not adjusting properly or just in general being slow in hot weather.
iRacing splits races by iRating... it does NOT split practice by iRating. Who knows who you're competing with in practice. Who knows who's running full fuel and who is hot-lapping. Also, Practice At 3000 iRating, that is going to be a tough split. My highest iRating I farmed up to nearly 3.5k, but my normal was ~2800iR. With the massive influx of drivers over the last two years, I think the new "average" for my skill level is now around 2400iR and I struggle to maintain 2200ish. If you're used to living at 3000 iRating when you left, you may find your new competitive zone to be around 2400-2600 splits... it' may take some time for your iR to reach equilibrium out after your time out of iRacing.

Daunt

MLG Pro
iRacing splits races by iRating... it does NOT split practice by iRating. Who knows who you're competing with in practice. Who knows who's running full fuel and who is hot-lapping. Also, Practice At 3000 iRating, that is going to be a tough split. My highest iRating I farmed up to nearly 3.5k, but my normal was ~2800iR. With the massive influx of drivers over the last two years, I think the new "average" for my skill level is now around 2400iR and I struggle to maintain 2200ish. If you're used to living at 3000 iRating when you left, you may find your new competitive zone to be around 2400-2600 splits... it' may take some time for your iR to reach equilibrium out after your time out of iRacing.

You're right. I mean I knew about practice sessions being a FFA. But still. Overall you're def right. I'm probably way overrated, I thought I was overrated before I stopped racing before. No doubt I'll have to continue to pleb it up until I level out.

It took 3 races, but the third race made it all worth it. What an absolute rush it was- amazing race. The other two races were 100% my fault so still adjusting and getting into the groove.

I think my BIGGEST complaint right now, in regards to dynamic weather and track, is that we have absolutely zero warm up. I register for a session and turn laps in a practice session then in 20-30 min (from when I register, obviously early) I'm thrown into a completely different session.

It's insane that I was lapping in 32 degree track temp conditions then I load into the race and I have 1 minute and 2 quali laps to readjust to the fact that now the weather is clear, track temp is 42 degrees?

They really need a pre-race practice lobby instead of being thrown into a random practice session. Bring back the longer pre-race practice sessions, but make it so that you don't have to register to be in the race until quali starts.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I think my BIGGEST complaint right now, in regards to dynamic weather and track, is that we have absolutely zero warm up. I register for a session and turn laps in a practice session then in 20-30 min (from when I register, obviously early) I'm thrown into a completely different session.

It's insane that I was lapping in 32 degree track temp conditions then I load into the race and I have 1 minute and 2 quali laps to readjust to the fact that now the weather is clear, track temp is 42 degrees?
Well just you wait until that 2 hours of practice you did on a partly-cloudy 32°C track turns into an 18°C torrential down-pour...

That said, it isn't really unrealistic... The weather is rarely, if ever, the same between the final practice, or "happy hour", or whatever last bit of practice drivers get before they roll out on the track for the race... It's just something you have to adjust to. The fact that the weather in qualifying is the same as the race is kind of a bonus.

Daunt

MLG Pro
Yeah I guess my frustration is just that every practice I've been in has been ~32 track temp but the races have all been 37-42. Just bad luck maybe.

Anyway that is my race from Sunday night midnight split. Can't believe I stayed up for that.. but man was it worth it. Amazing racing from start to finish.

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads