Computer component upgrades - feedback appreciated.

Big_J_29

Casual
Looking at upgrading some components and I am not that good with Computers as far as what is good and not good for Hardware. My goal is to build something that can run iRacing smoothly as well as games like PUBg and others that are a bit on the higher end. I am not concerned with a Power Supply as I have a Corsair Modular that I purchased back in Feb when I got my new GPU. I am also pretty set with my GPU for now but I do need to upgrade my Motherboard, Memory and Processor. Any feedback will be appreciated.

MotherBoard
Processor
Memory
Case

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Looking at upgrading some components and I am not that good with Computers as far as what is good and not good for Hardware. My goal is to build something that can run iRacing smoothly as well as games like PUBg and others that are a bit on the higher end. I am not concerned with a Power Supply as I have a Corsair Modular that I purchased back in Feb when I got my new GPU. I am also pretty set with my GPU for now but I do need to upgrade my Motherboard, Memory and Processor. Any feedback will be appreciated.

MotherBoard
Processor
Memory
Case
Are these your current components or what you're looking to get?

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin

MotherBoard
Processor
Memory
Case
I notice the top critical feedback on that Motherboard is that the board doesnt have integrated graphics. This means that you cant plug a monitor directly into the motherboard to troubleshoot your PC in-case your graphics card stops working. It's not a deal-breaker, obviously, since you have a graphics card, just know that you will ALWAYS need a GPU in it to output. Kind of weird that its not built in.

RAM doesnt matter too much, just about anything will work just fine. Just remember that you'll only get the full 3000hz out of your RAM if you put the MSI in XMP-mode in the BIOS. Also, if you're looking to trim some money, 16GB would probably be plenty, but if it's not an issue, go for it. I like my 32GB of Corsair ram, too.

Keep in mind that while the out-of-the-box clock speed is the same as Intel's current "flag ship" i7-8700k, Intels chip turbo's 0.5ghz higher than Ryzen7, and is also $20 cheaper. Ryzen7, with its 8 cores, may perform better if you're photo-editing or video-encoding, but in single-core tasks (specifically most games like iRacing) the Intel chip may be faster, so you may consider your PC's intended workload.

Also, what are you using for a cooler? Ryzen runs pretty warm, and I can tell you that all the CPU performance in the world doesn't matter if the stock-cooler throttles 20% of your CPU under load like mine does... :D

Big_J_29

Casual
Are these your current components or what you're looking to get?
Sorry Ken, those are the components I was looking at. After reading and and such I might be revising what I was thinking about, as not only do I game but edit video and use a good bit of Graphics programs as well.

Jeeve79

Casual
Instead of waiting for parts prices to inflate as soon as GPU's start dropping ... I saw a PSU in my list go up 50 bucks.
Beast PC for gaming, also great for working photoshop and video editing.
1800 euro's , no GPU yet. I will probably have the most ridiculous pc in the world. 5800X with a 5 year old Radeon HD 480 in the GPU slot. Insanity!

Attachments

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics