iRacing December Update Update

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I haven't seen it on the rally side (because there are 400 people signed up for the races, so it isn't a problem), but on the oval side, if the session doesn't have enough cars for a consolation race (≤12), then the consolation race still happens but with no drivers. The pace car goes out, pacing no one, and then the green flag waves, for no one, and then the race timer counts down from 12:00 minutes, for no one, and THEN, after all of the drivers who advanced from the heats into the main race have waited the 12 minutes to get to the feature...

...the session bugs out and doesn't advance to the feature. The session just sits there, waiting for someone to take the checkered flag!

Sooo, hopefully that will get fixed soon!

Having been a part of a league that ran this system anyways (they ran multiple heats in a practice session), this is pretty much exactly how they do it, and its pretty much identical to real life as well. I understand some drivers maybe getting bored of waiting around, but sometimes there is a good race to watch, and also, you get to see other drivers racing before you race them. Besides, extra time to check social media, get some food, etc... just think of it as a run to the concession stand for a hot dog or burger for that real immersive feeling.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Will we have something in league this week,to show up or?
I'm not really sure to be honest?

I won't be around this Friday and haven't been in #PracticePals all week so I've spoken to pretty much no one.

I'd suggest we just give it a miss this Friday and come back full force Week 1.

...unless you all want to run in which case please let me know.

Deb

Got to try Rally last night, drove on Phoenix and Daytona, very fun, somewhat out of control as expected. Only tried the Ford for a short time but the Beetle was actually better than expected. I think I'll like it even more when I get the new wheel installed, hopefully this weekend, as I'll be able to counter steer better.

I don't really like the heat system. It is kind of impossible to get in a practice group if you want to drive with certain people. We tried a number of different things last night to try to get in the same run-group, but it never worked, so I eventually set up a hosted session. If any of you have any thoughts on that would be great to hear, otherwise, I think I'll have to stick to hosted sessions.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Peeble and I were able to get into the same instance by joining at the same time. Also, picking an older session with fewer people helps as well. I like the heat system, I just don't like the split up practice sessions.

We can try Rally maybe?It should be fun but isnt rules like only 5-6 cars on track,something like that?Sry dont know much about GRC

Ok tnx,so maybe we can try that?Dont think more than 10 people will show up!?
Dont know,how you guys want I will do it :)

ShadniX

Core
Dunno if I'll be around. The company I work for does have its yearly Christmas event tomorrow. I'll jump into TeamSpeak if I am back home for the usual league time.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Noël and I will be around in about two hours doing some rally cross stuff. If enough people show up, I'll happily host something and see how that works out, but don't feel obligated! We'll just be screwing around and having fun! For those that can't make it, enjoy your week off! Hope to see you all Monday!

Deb

Hey, last night it took me an 1 1/2 hour to download the update on iRacing. I am hard wired in. Did it take you guys that long? I am concerned AT&T is cutting internet speeds at certain times.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
Hey, last night it took me an 1 1/2 hour to download the update on iRacing. I am hard wired in. Did it take you guys that long? I am concerned AT&T is cutting internet speeds at certain times.
I've got 150 down so it only takes a few minutes, sometimes a bit more or less depending on size of update.

I don't think it should ever take 90 minutes and that includes a fresh install of the game.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I didn't pay attention to the download, but it didn't take that long. Your ISP may have been doing an update or something as well. Usually once a month my internet experiences extremely slow speeds for an hour or two, generally first thing in the morning. They try to avoid peak hours.

Last edited:

ShadniX

Core
I think the 17S4 update was downloading at very low speed for me. Other than that, the iRacing server can usually fill the bandwidth of my connection. If it only happens once, then I wouldn't give it much thought. There might have been a server going bad or your traffic was just hitting a congested part of the internet at random.

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics