iRacing Tease - Marc's dream?

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
NO!

DON'T!

I don't want to think about it. I'm not getting my hopes up...

It'd probably be the Elantra anyways...

...but... I mean... if you're going to have the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge, shouldn't you have the car that's won the IMSA MPC championship the last two years running, including a dominating 1-2-3 sweep of the championship in 2020?

Reactions: Deb

Daunt

MLG Pro
Agree on all points.

Very glad to see them adding depth to a series rather than adding more cars that mean another series. Great additions and I'm glad to see the Audi will have some company. Hopefully it adds more life to the series, I've always thought it's a very good fundamentals series that while doesn't exactly translate into GT4 then GT3, it's great for learning the basics of speed and cornering while being very forgiving, with good racecraft.

I don't know what the current limit is but they really need to make sure they're not limited (like they currently are in IMSA) with # of different cars in series. They really have to tackle that problem. I want to see the Nurburging race 24h next year with ALL TCR cars, all GT3 cars and I forget what else they have thrown in there.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I don't know what the current limit is but they really need to make sure they're not limited (like they currently are in IMSA) with # of different cars in series. They really have to tackle that problem. I want to see the Nurburging race 24h next year with ALL TCR cars, all GT3 cars and I forget what else they have thrown in there.
8 is current limit. I foresee the Nurb24h continuing to be an all-German event:
GT3: Audi, BMW, Merc, Porsche/ GT3 Cup: Porsche Cup/GT4: BMW, Porsche/TCR: Audi

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I foresee the Nurb24h continuing to be an all-German event:
GT3: Audi, BMW, Merc, Porsche/ GT3 Cup: Porsche Cup/GT4: BMW, Porsche/TCR: Audi

Sorry, I couldn't help it! It made me laugh. I don't know when the schedule released, but I swear I didn't even look for it until I saw Ken's side-bar yesterday. First I thought he just copied this thread, but then I went searching to see if iRacing had uploaded it... :D

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
If anyone had any questions about how the new Hyundai feels, it feels like a FWD Touring Car.. If anyone wants to know if it's any fun, I've done three practice sessions, 44 laps at Watkins Glen, and 55+78 laps at Knockhill... ...sooo yeah... they're kind of fun...

Side-by-side at New Glen

Nejtun Out-of-the-Blue Blaming Innocent Gentle Me

A Lap of the New Knockhill

I don't have any intentions of driving the Honda, and I haven't driven the Audi in a while, but someone posted in another Discord saying the Elantra is slightly faster in a straight-line, and very stable, while the Honda is more nimble and has better acceleration, which sounds like it puts it on par with the Audi. I've had a hard time getting the Hyundai sideways (...at least when all four wheels are on level pavement...) and it seemed to close at the end of long straights, but Nejtun's Audi gets out of corners like Knockhill's hairpin extremely quick, and you can see the difference in braking in the 3rd clip. The iRacing "Sprint" setup for the Hyundai had a Brake-Bias of 49% with a Rear Brake Pressure "+4/6", while Nejtun's Audi had the Brake-Bias ~60% with a Rear Brake Pressure of only "+2". The Audi is definitely the smallest of the three, and the Hyundai is the largest, with the Honda Civic in the middle, but only slightly smaller than the Hyundai.

I don't see myself spending a full season in this car, but I'm certainly not offended by these cars. They are pretty fun to throw around. Would recommend picking up at least one of these just for the fun of a 15 minute race now and then!

These cars will participate in two regular Official series, the C-Class (D4.0+) IMSA Michilin Pilot Challenge alongside the GT4 cars, in 30 minute races and open setups, every other hour at xx:15; and a D-Class Touring Car TURN Series specifically for the Audi, Honda, and Hyundai TCR's, in 15 minute races and fixed setups, every hour at xx:45.

Week 13 is featuring all four layouts of Watkins Glen (They did the NASCAR layout Monday, Boot layout starting today, Classic Boot starting Friday, and Classic Sunday) and 3/4 touring car layouts of Knockhill (International starting Tuesday, International Reverse starting Thursday, and National starting Saturday).

At far as Knockhill goes, incredible elevation changes, a couple of blind curbs, a nice mix of technical sections with two long straights, and a hairpin, and reverse layouts of both the National and International circuits. Really looking forward to seeing what the sections look like coming the other direction! Throws me back to when we were running league and would do a reverse lap around the tracks, and how different that made each one feel. This time the track has that feature baked in!

Last edited:

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
@Kenadian Per today's hotfix...

"Hyundai Elantra N TC
Steering ratio may now be adjusted in Fixed Setup events.
Rotor glow texture has been added.
The jack placement location for pit stops has been improved."

I don't know to what extent it's been added, it's only just been patched onto the Hyundai, so did most, or all, the other cars have it already?

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin

If you're interested in picking up one of these cars, but want to know what the differences are, here is a pretty nice BoP test done by iRacing Pro Driver Beau Albert.

The Audi is quick for it's class, the Hyundai is stable, and the Honda is a monster-breaker. The Audi has very few downsides, the Hyundai is a good all-rounder, but the Honda has some work to do...

Now, is this an iRacing thing? Or a Honda thing? The cars that were scanned came from the U.S.-based IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge, and Hyundai dominated that.

The Elantra finished it's debut season in 2nd and 3rd, only losing to their predecessor, the 2020 Veloster.

In both 2020 and 2021, the Audi R3 LMS was the first non-Hyundai in the championship, finishing the 2020 Season in 4th and 5th, and the 2021 season 5th and 7th, and finished 2nd in the manufacturers championship both years.

Finally Honda only managed 7th in the 2020 standings, with only one car (the iRacing scanned LA Honda World Racing) completing the full season. 2021 wasn't any better as Honda ended the season 8th and 9th in the championship, and LA Honda World Racing finished 15th, only competing in the first 3 rounds of the season.

Over in Europe, things were much better for Honda. In the TCR Europe Touring Car Series, Honda finished the 2021 season in 2nd place, only beat out in the championship by a VW-powered Cupra Leon. The Hyundai Elantra finished in 3rd, and the Audi RS3 LMS took 4th. However, the top-10 consisted of two more Hyundai's (5th/9th) and another Audi (8th) before you got to the 2nd Honda (10th).

What about home soil? Well, Audi took part in the 2021 TCR Asia Series, but that series was dominated by Chinese-owned/Swedish-Made "Lync & Co", and the only other manufacturers were MG, Volkswagen, and CUPRA Leon. So much for home-field advantage.. (To be fair, massive asterisk as COVID really killed any motorsports in the region. The 2021 Asia Le Mans Series, for example, only featured something like four rounds held over two weekends, and that's kind of the tale across all Asian-based motorsports that I can find.)

SO! What does all this tell us? Not really a whole lot. There are so many variables in the real-world, and admittedly I didn't watch these cars turn a single lap this year. From an iRacer's point of view, the video displays that the Audi is the best, but the Hyundai is competitive, and if you enjoy going against the grain, and being the underdog to shove it in people's face, then the Honda is the car for you in this series.

As far as the real world, I don't even know if the Audi was scanned from a team, or if it was scanned directly from the Audi-factory, the Hyundai came from a proven championship caliber team, and the Honda came from a team that, while reasonably consistent in 2020, didn't really put up much of a showing in 2021. How much did that effect iRacing? I'm not sure. Hopefully they had access to data from more Honda teams, either from the teams themselves, or from the Honda Performance Development offices, but who knows.

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics