[Special Event] 2021 Petit Le Mans

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Sorry for leaving you guys with a little bit of a scare yesterday. I think I'm okay. At first my wheel cutting out happened across multiple wheels (CSL Uni-hub and CSL Macca), so I thought it was the core-cable, but I swapped USB ports and didn't have any more issues with the Macca rim. CSL Uni-Hub continues to be problematic, though, so I opened a ticket on it and also requested a new core-cable, just in case. The last time I had a core-cable fail, it only effected the FFB of the wheel, not the whole input, and I was able to complete the whole 24-hours of Le Mans despite the random cutout. Unfortunately this issue isn't something that I can drive around. Through 3 races last night, however, the Macca wheel showed no issues, but I'll continue to push it over the weekend and let you guys know if the problem comes back.

I'm not one to emaciate a product because of an issue or two, but I'm really not able to maintain much confidence in Fanatec's CSL line-up. I hope I'm just the unluckiest CSL customer, though.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Did some short practice tonight on both sets, but was way more tired than I thought to run full stints yet..

First Impressions Summary;
VRS Setup - Low Downforce, great straight-line speed, more practice needed in T1.
Sebring Setup - Higher Downforce, great corner-speed, easily consistent in T1.

I went faster, quicker, in the VRS setup, but when I went back to the Sebring setup, I was able to push it harder and beat the time. I think I'm around 1:10.2ish? There isn't much between them in lap-time and, surprisingly, stability. The question for me is do you want more corner-speed leaning more on risky mid-corner passes, or do you want to sacrifice some corner speed and maximize the straightaways for passing. For me, it's the latter. After running Kamel GT for over a season now, the key really is patience in corners. Sure, you CAN (and will) pass cars through the esses, if the timing is right, but if you're not on-top of the traffic right out of T3, there is no reason to force a move before the exit of T5, so I don't really think this is a race that would benefit from the added corner-speed.

My only issue is T1. The Sebring setup has a really nice rhythm on the front-stretch. Max out 5th gear, brake, downshift once, smash gas, success. The VRS setup gears out in 5th before reaching T1, so you have to shift to 6th, then brake, downshift twice, and get back on the gas. Solution; just add a little length to 5th gear, duh! Oh wait, P2 isn't a strictly spec class, but it IS a limited class, meaning you only have Long, Std, and Short gearbox options. Std is def the way to go, here, so I'll just need to work on overcoming the timing of T1. Also, the lack of DF is obviously affecting this as well. It's just something I'll work on driving around. Calling it an early night tonight, as I work OT tomorrow. I don't know what other days I'll work this week, but I'll be on every night after work for some practice regardless.

Reactions: Deb

Nejtun

I cannot make this event, I will be there to cheer along on Saturday though! Have fun and all that! :D

Reactions: Deb

Deb

Did some short practice tonight on both sets, but was way more tired than I thought to run full stints yet..

First Impressions Summary;
VRS Setup - Low Downforce, great straight-line speed, more practice needed in T1.
Sebring Setup - Higher Downforce, great corner-speed, easily consistent in T1.

I went faster, quicker, in the VRS setup, but when I went back to the Sebring setup, I was able to push it harder and beat the time. I think I'm around 1:10.2ish? There isn't much between them in lap-time and, surprisingly, stability. The question for me is do you want more corner-speed leaning more on risky mid-corner passes, or do you want to sacrifice some corner speed and maximize the straightaways for passing. For me, it's the latter. After running Kamel GT for over a season now, the key really is patience in corners. Sure, you CAN (and will) pass cars through the esses, if the timing is right, but if you're not on-top of the traffic right out of T3, there is no reason to force a move before the exit of T5, so I don't really think this is a race that would benefit from the added corner-speed.

My only issue is T1. The Sebring setup has a really nice rhythm on the front-stretch. Max out 5th gear, brake, downshift once, smash gas, success. The VRS setup gears out in 5th before reaching T1, so you have to shift to 6th, then brake, downshift twice, and get back on the gas. Solution; just add a little length to 5th gear, duh! Oh wait, P2 isn't a strictly spec class, but it IS a limited class, meaning you only have Long, Std, and Short gearbox options. Std is def the way to go, here, so I'll just need to work on overcoming the timing of T1. Also, the lack of DF is obviously affecting this as well. It's just something I'll work on driving around. Calling it an early night tonight, as I work OT tomorrow. I don't know what other days I'll work this week, but I'll be on every night after work for some practice regardless.
You explained far better than I, exactly what I was feeling between the two setups. I am at about the same speed in both, just a slight change in driving style. I am consistently in the 1:11s with best times in the 1:10s. Some folks are down in the 1:08s but that could be on quali setups. I'll be on tonight again as well.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
I'll be running the CSS Setup tonight and see how it performs (don't have VRS). If it's ok I'll update with a download tonight.

Brainling

Hardcore
So I decided not to protest that guy from the IMSA race. As infuriating as it is to get whacked by a guy being a complete idiot while trying to do the right thing (e.g. not t-bone another car), looking at the protest screen it talks specifically about malice and intent. It was monumentally stupid and ruined my race, but the more I watched the less I saw malice or intent...just complete buffoonery.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
So I decided not to protest that guy from the IMSA race. As infuriating as it is to get whacked by a guy being a complete idiot while trying to do the right thing (e.g. not t-bone another car), looking at the protest screen it talks specifically about malice and intent. It was monumentally stupid and ruined my race, but the more I watched the less I saw malice or intent...just complete buffoonery.
Pretty much sums up most of my races the past few weeks, bad luck and getting mixed up in things because people just either brake to late or don't use their brakes in spinning. For the first time in a long while I'm about to go under 2K iR through no fault of my own.

Honestly the way my luck's been going I'm quite concerned about dragging Teammates into it for this event.

Deb

Pretty much sums up most of my races the past few weeks, bad luck and getting mixed up in things because people just either brake to late or don't use their brakes in spinning. For the first time in a long while I'm about to go under 2K iR through no fault of my own.

Honestly the way my luck's been going I'm quite concerned about dragging Teammates into it for this event.
I think a lot of us are losing IR right now. I don't know if it is new people, but just seeing a lot of strange stuff.

Brainling

Hardcore
Yeah, the IR loss is real right now. Which I mostly don't care about, outside of the way it's happening. It definitely feels like driving standards have taken a massive nose dive, or I'm just getting extremely unlucky finding myself in races with people who just drive like garbage. If it were honest mistakes or blown attempts to drive "right" I'd be less miffed...but in so many cases it's just people having absolutely zero respect for other people on the track and not even attempting to do the right thing.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
So I did some testing with Road Atlanta's pit exit, and it is how I thought it is. The cone not where the yellow line crossed the pit road. Instead it is about 30 feet beyond the yellow line in the road. However, you do not need to wait until your car has passed the cone to disable the pit-speed limiter. I eye-balled it based on roughly when I thought my nose had reached the cone, and it turns out I wasn't even close. I turned it off feet before the cone, with my foot planted on the accelerator, and I did not exceed pit-speed by enough to warrant a speeding penalty exiting pit road. I think that yellow line just causes confusion, as it is easier to spot, especially at night, than the cone is.

Anyways, it's always easiest to just watch the black box, but I wanted to confirm that the cone's placement is not inaccurate in sim, and it isn't inaccurate to real life, either. Looking at Google Maps you can see the yellow line marking the end of pit lane, the final pit box, and then about 30 feet beyond that is a white line that I'm guessing is the actual timing line at the end of pit lane, aka, where iRacing placed the cone... iRacing just never drew the white line across the race track, which is a bit weird, but, whatever...

Kelley G

Casual
I think a lot of us are losing IR right now. I don't know if it is new people, but just seeing a lot of strange stuff.
Thanks. Hopping on shortly and will give it a run. I’ve been in the 2:17’s all week running IRacing medium downforce.

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads