B2O Paint Schemes for iRacing

Daunt

MLG Pro
Re: B2O Paint Schemes

I think having a central theme between cars is essential in brand recognition.

Someone suggested in another thread (can't remember where) that having a base theme with different secondary colours is a good way of identifying each of us but still keeping the main theme recognisable. I agree, the Pirtek Hondas in BTCC do this for example and it looks great :)
I think I might have said that keeping them the same throughout the entirety of iRacing would be better. I think that is somewhat true. For the most part. But I think between different series, it won't matter too much. I personally like the idea of having a different scheme for each series.

As for car colors, Duke talked me out of it. I think it would be cool as a personalization but I think we'd lose our cohesion.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin

lol Duke talked me out of it. I was just re-iterating what you and I discussed back in the day so really you talked yourself out of it.

Daunt

MLG Pro

lol Duke talked me out of it. I was just re-iterating what you and I discussed back in the day so really you talked yourself out of it.
Really he said no and said do what I say or I will punt you on every turn. JK :icon_lol:

Thank you for keeping me on the path of enlightenment. Clearly past Daunt knows what he is talking about. I don't think it would have the same effect as if everyone had the same scheme and colors flying by all at the same time.

Noodleguitar

It is certainly possible to keep the majority of the paint identical while changing a few parts into distinctive colours. Such as wheel colour which we are already doing now but unfortunately won't work on all cars (such as the Holden I believe. If you can paint the Ford wheels but not the Holden I want a refund! :p).
Also, in team races, wheel colour will be equalised automatically.

Many other features on the car could be distinctive though. I believe it's called trim. For example, the grill frame on the BMW, or the headlight paint layer on the Holden, or the banner background on the windshield and of course the mirrors.

I'm not saying we should make all these things unique for every driver because we also already have the avatars and such. But it could be worth trying out.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin

For now we're not going to put much effort into individual customization on any of these cars beyond what we already offer such as avatars, country of origin flags and driver names.

We may look into adding some elements in the future but that is a very distant future as of today.

Right now we're 3 weeks away from re-branding, trying to work the bugs out of Practice Pals and also trying to get skins out, logos, banners, etc. so there is no time to muss around.

Assuming we do allow for customization in the future it will be light customization as Noel already hinted toward. The reason is that each one of these cars is meant to be promotional advertising and needs to relay our information ingame while looking somewhat professional and uniform.

Allowing wide amounts of latitude in personalized customization not only means we run the risk of having some butt ugly cars out there it can also adversely affect the advertising potential of each car.

It's something we can look toward down the road but for now the skins won't allow for individual customization beyond the approved Daunt Skins.

I hope you all understand.

Daunt

MLG Pro

Updated OP-

• Fixed BMW missing number areas. Not sure why they're missing / able to be removed from only the BMW paint, but whatever, should be fixed now.
• Added Slider's Ruf.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin

Great work Kyle, thanks!

Incidentally, I'll be updating our Teams (B2O and Practice Pals) this weekend with the default paints.

Daunt

MLG Pro

Alright 2 samples of the Ford Falcon this time. I changed the gray because it just wasn't turning out how I wanted it to look... looked great in photoshop. Now it is flat black and I must say it looks better. Cleaned up some lines and halftones.

V8sample1.jpg
V8sample2.jpg

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin

omg that looks slick in black.

I'm not too sure about the headlights though, it makes the car look sleepy lol.

Daunt

MLG Pro

Thanks Duke. I disagree with the headlights I think they look awesome, though you pointing them out made me realize I miscolored them orange. They should be the light blue. Maybe that might help?

Hard to pass up the chance to paint them something sweet though considering I don't think any other cars have paintable headlights!

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin

My first thought was they'd look good as blue but didn't really think to say it. I thought you were trying to tie them in with the pinstriping.

I like the coloring however just showing that little bit of light through made it look like a heavy eye lid to me but it could be how the screenshot was taken as well.

Won't know until I see it ingame.

BTW, I thought you'd be around earlier last night so I waited until 8 my time and then had to leave. I've been up really late all week in iRacing and needed some shut eye desperately last night.

Daunt

MLG Pro

My first thought was they'd look good as blue but didn't really think to say it. I thought you were trying to tie them in with the pinstriping.

I like the coloring however just showing that little bit of light through made it look like a heavy eye lid to me but it could be how the screenshot was taken as well.

Won't know until I see it ingame.

BTW, I thought you'd be around earlier last night so I waited until 8 my time and then had to leave. I've been up really late all week in iRacing and needed some shut eye desperately last night.
No prob. I got some laps in with the V8 but still not enough. Going to be a handful in a race... doug and I were doing a bit of practice but he kept going off track or stopping in corners (uncharacteristic of the fellow) so didn't get much practice.

No definitely supposed to be seperate from the striping. My Holden mockup correctly had the lights blue... just had a brainfart I guess. Other than that yep, you'll have to check it out ingame. Plus its awesome that the area behind the grill in both cars (less so in the Holden but still a bit) is paintable.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin

Can you add the paint scheme to the first post?

I don't think I have anything pressing to do tonight so maybe I'll turn some laps in it.

Daunt

MLG Pro

Can you add the paint scheme to the first post?

I don't think I have anything pressing to do tonight so maybe I'll turn some laps in it.
I can send it your way tonight - I left my files at home. I hope to be on and turning some laps but we'll see.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin

I'll be on for sure later tonight but turning laps God knows where? Kevin told me I have no choice but to run COTA in GT3 so I'll probably do it lol.

little P

Super Mod

Chaps, should we add "racing" to the Band of Others logo on the side?

Like you have it on your youtube overlays etc.

I think that would look really good and fill that little gap. Could we try it to see what it looks like at least ;)

Just giving you some creative feedback, I love the design :)

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin

Yes we should Daunt bl00dy hell.

I think the way you incorporated racing is awesome so just go with it if you like.

Daunt

MLG Pro

F COTA. You were the one that convinced me not to buy it so I'm skipping it. If someone else wants to put up a server for something else I am all game. Otherwise I'm sticking with GT3 at least until Interlagos (week 3).

little P said:
Chaps, should we add "racing" to the Band of Others logo on the side?

Wasn't sure if anyone liked that. I've not used it in anything other than that. But either way it might bother me that one paint would have that and the other wouldn't, so I'd have to work it out if for the GT3 paints eventually if we went that way.

Slider

Hardcore

Muh paint made it to the Racespot TV!
[video=youtube;WLonKMl74FA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLonKMl74FA[/video]

Time 7:00 and later, it was a qualify session. Started the race 30th out of 59. Unfortunately, got caught up in the crash on top of the hill and was too damaged to repair. Only 30 minute race.

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics