Band of Others Other Racing Stuff (Share your personal adventures!)

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Interesting stuff. The latest post already taught me something I never thought about. If you drive on a hot or wet track you can move the brake bias more to the rear because with less grip the weight shift forward is smaller, and thus the front tires have less grip and thus the rear tires have more grip. This should work in iRacing too (even though realistically you're talking about a few % probably).
@incndry taught me that at Road America a few weeks ago. He shared a set in League with 48.x% BB which was ridiculous compared to my usual 50.9-52.2%, and he explained it was for hotter Official weather. Had never thought about it like that before. Apparently Footy can make it work on iRacing.

When I tried it at Mid-Ohio, it just made a car, with little grip at the back, slide the back more..

God damn aliens...

Reactions: Deb

Deb

Interesting stuff. The latest post already taught me something I never thought about. If you drive on a hot or wet track you can move the brake bias more to the rear because with less grip the weight shift forward is smaller, and thus the front tires have less grip and thus the rear tires have more grip. This should work in iRacing too (even though realistically you're talking about a few % probably).
There is a ton of information in that blog. Seems like some good vacation reading :)

Brainling

Hardcore
I had the worst set of races at Road Atlanta in the GTE car a couple weeks back. So much so I just put sim racing down for a week. First race I just got caught up in someone else's BS coming out of the esses, almost unavoidable. Car completely wrecked. Got back on the horse the very next race, qualified fourth, had a great racing going when two back markers wrecked each other coming in to the chicane, causing third to slam on his brakes, which caused me to get on mine, mostly avoided the whole thing until one of the back markers slid back across the track and I just lightly t-boned him. My car was fine, I lost a couple places but was still going, but I got impatient and angry. Started driving with the red mist. Spun it coming out on to the back straight, got t-boned, car destroyed. 100% my fault.

Brainling

Hardcore
Wooo won my first race! IMSA at Road America in the 488 GTE. Won it on pace and merit too, me and second place were very evenly matched. I passed him about 10 laps in and then was able to keep my lead despite a couple of nervous mistakes.

Gained all the iRating I had lost the previous race when I was in third and got collected :(

Brainling

Hardcore
Me, the 488 GTE and Road America clearly get a long. Yesterday had a 2nd place race, today got my second win, from pole. I was out to a 15s lead until the pit stops. I came out behind I might argue the worst LMP1 driver in all of iRacing, who was slower than me on the straights. Cost me 10s over two laps and walked me right back in to 2nd place. The LMP1 finally crashed himself out at turn 1 but by then I was in a dog fight for the lead. Two laps to go came up against Mr "I'm a lapper but I'm not even going to attempt to let this lead battle by". Almost lost it trying to pass the guy but 2nd place was a cool guy and didn't just punt me when he had the chance. We finished 0.5s apart.

My first pole and my second win!

e: Oh and to put a cherry on top, 0 incidents. That's the iRacing trifecta, right? Pole, win and 0 inc? Well if not I also got the fastest lap for my class, so that definitely covers all the bases.

Last edited:

Deb

Wow, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome!

I ran an IMSA race on the Ring yesterday and I have not figured out fuel. I was leading the whole race, but had to pit on the white flag lap for fuel. Finished 3rd, still okay, but should have been first. So I need to read up on how they do fuel for IMSA, must be different than Blanc Pan.

Wow, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome!

I ran an IMSA race on the Ring yesterday and I have not figured out fuel. I was leading the whole race, but had to pit on the white flag lap for fuel. Finished 3rd, still okay, but should have been first. So I need to read up on how they do fuel for IMSA, must be different than Blanc Pan.
8 laps Deb,you need fuel for 8 laps,72l full tank.For 24h race you will need to save a little for 8 laps,we must do that.My usage is 15.2L,must be 15L or hair below for 8 laps so it will not be hard to save that.It is 24h layout what is a bit longer than VLN so we need to save a little.

anyway guys,I have an important race today on Spa for the Autobahn championship, I took the lead last race and I have 6 points more than P2, I must finish no lower than 2nd, or 3rd but I must take pole.The race is broadcasted on GSRC on youtube so if anybody want to watch here is a channel, wish me luck, it will not be easy :) 9:30 EDT https://www.youtube.com/user/GSRCBroadcasting/videos?disable_polymer=1

Deb

Thanks Denis, I knew how much fuel I needed, I figured to fuel for 9 laps in total, just in case. The problem seemed to be that they start you out with an amount of fuel and you have to pit, I had to pit after 2 full laps. When I pitted, it would not let me add more than 19 gallons/72 liters. That did not give me enough fuel to finish the race. So I am not sure if you are suppose to add as much as you want at the beginning of the race, which is the opposite of Blanc Pan, or I was doing something wrong in trying to add more fuel at the end. Anyway, I need to figure that out.

On your race, I won't be able to watch, at work but . . .

72l is a full tank, you should have plenty of fuel for 8 laps.I started with 66L,I should start with 62L but it was safer like this but I did it to have a lighter car and no problems,tnx:)

Brainling

Hardcore
Sounds to me like you weren't in the pit window yet Deb. You pitted too early and iRacing packed in as much fuel as it could but it wasn't enough to finish the race. A pit stop is basically mandatory in IMSA so they don't start you with enough fuel to finish. I'm not sure how much they do start you with off the top of my head, but for a 45 minute race it's probably 45 or 50 liters. Then generally you need another 20-25 to finish the race, depending on track.

Deb

Perhaps my conversion to liters is wrong, I was using gallons not liters, Merc holds 31.7 gallons when full, would only give me 19 gallons on pit and had to pit after 2 laps. You're right Denis, it was 8 laps. I can generally run 7 laps on a full tank in the Merc on the 24 HR config since it is longer. So I came up a lap short. Really about 1/2 lap short.

Maybe you're right @Brainling, but do you know if you can add as much full as you want at the beginning of the race or is it set? It seems like it was set at the pit. If I could had had 3 laps of fuel at the beginning it would have been fine.

You guys read or?72L is full tank for IMSA in Merc so with 72L you can start or you are talking about some other car?

Deb

No, I was in the Merc. I thought 120 liters is full tank in Merc. If you are using 15.2 liters per lap, 72 liters will give you only 4.7 laps. So, here is my scenario, had the start, which should be minimal amount of fuel, ran two full laps, but on the back straight on the second full lap had only .8 left in the tank, so had to pit, only received 19 gallons/72 liters, so didn't have enough to finish 5 laps, came up a little short.

So what I am wondering is if I could have added more at the start, I would have been fine even though I only was allowed 72 liters at pit. So maybe I should have added more fuel on the grid then what the preset amount was. Are you allowed to do that?

If fuel is fixed at the start, then I was doing something wrong when trying to add fuel at the pit because it wouldn't let me have more than 72 liters.

Full tank for IMSA is 72L,not 120L so you could do 4 laps if you cant 5 and add for 4 more,no problem at all so Im not sure how you couldn't do 8 .Check my video,I started with 66L,I should start with 62L,I wanted to do 4 laps and in pit to add for 4 laps more,I did that to have lighter car and no problem at all.I added 58L in pit I think

Deb

Okay, I think that answers the question, I should have added more fuel at the beginning. Now I know what to do, thanks!!!!!

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads