Real Life Racing / News Thread

Deb

That was an awesome ending for the #29 Audi. What a come back after the screw up in the pit, but the decision to go with wets at the last minute clinched the race for them. Wow, what driving, when he got caught in traffic and went around on the grass!!! Amazing. Not so good for AMG, top car in 5th, but incredible racing at the end in rain. Thought the BMW was going to loose it several times running in the rain on slicks.

Noodleguitar

Yes, that ending was incredible. It seemed like the #29 really fucked up in the pits but in the end they made it work. Not sure if they stopped him because the fueling was not done or because they thought about tires at the last moment.

I have seem Kelvin van der Linde drive like a bit of an ass in iRacing but he did well in traffic during the last laps.

Jes_971

Hardcore
I was literally yelling at my screen when the 29 Audi was fumbling with the fuel cap. I think the pump nozzle went in like twice or three times. Then came the tire change and it was like "Oh shit, its on now!!!". A crazy situation where a screw up led to an opportunity.

Brainling

Hardcore
24 Hours of Le Man is happening. It's been streamed alllll over the place, but Radio Le Mans is probably the easiest way to watch it. I'm watching this restream:

I have an FIAWEC subscription so I can watch the other WEC stuff live but their site shits itself during Le Mans. Just can't handle the load of all the people wanting to stream that.

Brainling

Hardcore
What a race. My initial thoughts:

• Poor Toyota. Le Mans just has it out for them. I'm not sure what spirit of racing they angered but after last years heartbreak to have two of their cars get retired in the span of two minutes was heartbreaking to watch.
  • Was really fun to watch Nicki Thiim's team do well as I watch his iRacing stuff a lot. Always fun to see crossover like that.
  • Speaking of Aston Martin, that move near the end by Johnny Adam was a real shit move. No way you can pass down the inside of Arnage like that, which caused a collision, which ultimately cost Corvette and Jordan Taylor the win. I'm sure Adam won't lose any sleep over it, he has a Le Mans class win, but it was a shit move and I hope other drivers tell him so.
  • VIVA LA PORSCHE! Everyone knows I'm a Porsche-phile, so as much as it hurt to watch Toyota endure all that heartbreak, watching Porsche take a hat trick and their 19th overall win was amazing. Makes me want the 919 Hybrid in iRacing even more.

What a race. My initial thoughts:
  • Speaking of Aston Martin, that move near the end by Johnny Adam was a real shit move. No way you can pass down the inside of Arnage like that, which caused a collision, which ultimately cost Corvette and Jordan Taylor the win. I'm sure Adam won't lose any sleep over it, he has a Le Mans class win, but it was a shit move and I hope other drivers tell him so.
maybe not the most honorable move, a dive-bomb, but it was executed cleanly corvette should've defended but they didn't it's their own fault they got dived and on their attempt to regain the position they gave aston martin too little room and thus caused the collision themselves. after driving the car into the gravel 2 times in the last laps i'm not surprised they punctured it either... i'm happy #97 won.

i would've liked to see toyota win since i'm a big fan but once again the luck wasn't with them. Porsche weren't that lucky either this race so they deserved their win.

it was great to see the #95 as the fastest car in GTE they should've won IMO. it's sad to see victory taken away from them like that.

aside from the killing weather it was great to be in Le Mans once again, now i need some time to recover from the sunburn :p

Brainling

Hardcore
The collision is what caused the puncture, probably a slow leak, which is what caused the gravel driving.

When you lock up the entire left side of your car and quite literally slide through the corner, I don't consider that a good move. This is pretty clear by how bad he botches the corner. He doesn't even begin to make the corner correctly, he's all but parked at the exit. Hard to give a car room when he's botched a corner so bad he's basically stopped at corner exit to try and right the car.

no sliding at all. i watched it over and over again. i think that if someone doesn't defend, a dive like this is to be expected. i mean this is racing, not train simulator. so it's a dumb move by corvette not to defend this IMO.

while locking the brakes aston was able to stop the car before the corner and make it work perfectly fine no sliding. of course in contrary to the usual line, fast in=slow out.

corvette just didn't adapt to the situation correctly and even though the aston wasn't even close to blocking their apex they still missed it 4:18
i'm convinced the touch was corvettes fault as they didn't alter their line.
and once again not defending there is just plain stupid if you ask me. Johnny Adam wouldn't be a racecar driver had he not done that.

btw, i'm not saying it would be the smartest move because if corvette hadn't hit them they would've gotten the lead back no problem. but i think i would've tried the same if i were in aston's seat

Last edited:

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
This popped up on my Facebook today, so I figured I'd share it. Its a nice little GT3 battle between the Porsche 911 RSR and a Ford GT around everyone's favorite Nürburgring.

Noodleguitar

Nice, I wonder when that was. I'm guessing around early 2000 looking at the other cars in there? The sound is a bit strange. At 4:42 he clearly lifts or brakes before that lower class cat but the audio doesn't reflect that. But then on Ex-Mühle (4:55) it seems to be correct again. Also there is no way you can take Kallenhard flat-out (4:14), or Bergewerk/Zietgeist (5:10). I think the sound is off by a couple of seconds most of the time but perhaps not always.

Ryan Walker

Casual
Nice, I wonder when that was. I'm guessing around early 2000 looking at the other cars in there? The sound is a bit strange. At 4:42 he clearly lifts or brakes before that lower class cat but the audio doesn't reflect that. But then on Ex-Mühle (4:55) it seems to be correct again. Also there is no way you can take Kallenhard flat-out (4:14), or Bergewerk/Zietgeist (5:10). I think the sound is off by a couple of seconds most of the time but perhaps not always.
2009 or 2010 I believe it was - awesome battle to watch and why I love watching endurance racing.

ShadniX

Core
One of many 24h of Spa livestreams, starting at 2:00pm GMT

Should include main broadcast feed, onboard cameras of both Nissan GT-R GT3 cars, garage cam of the Nismo pitbox and a map feed with live GPS locations of the cars.

Jes_971

Hardcore
Looks like we'll be getting two 12 hours of Sebring in 2019. IMSA will start their race at 10am est then WEC will start two hours after the end of the IMSA race at midnight. WEC has an interesting "super-season" next season with the season spanning the 2018-19 calendar.

2018/19 WEC 'superseason' calendar
May 5 6 Hours of Spa
June 16-17 Le Mans 24 Hours
October 14 6 Hours of Fuji
November 4 6 Hours of Shanghai
February 2019 TBA
March 16 12 Hours of Sebring
May 4 6 Hours of Spa
June 15-16 Le Mans 24 Hours

Brainling

Hardcore
Interesting. I wonder how many teams/drivers will compete in both, or if IMSA and WEC are going to stop teams from doing that? I can definitely see some of the IMSA/WEC GTLM/GTE teams wanting to participate in both.

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics