[Special Event] 2021 iRacing Bathurst 1000

Preferred Time Slot

• Total voters

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I was testing super-stiff springs in the right side, especially in the right-rear, to help the car turn left, especially in low-speed corners. It worked, but a little too well. When the tyres burn off, the car wants to turn left too much, making it hard to put the power down coming out of Forrest Elbow, and tough climbing the mountain, too.

Brainling

Hardcore
I got in to the 2:08's tonight. Still feel wildly inconsistent though. Especially on the brakes. The space between slight lock up and snap oversteer seems really thin.

Nejtun

The space between slight lock up and snap oversteer seems really thin.
I am surprised you had this under braking, I was going to the minimum brake bias (46.8) just to stop the front from locking....
I also found it almost impossible to trail brake this car but that might just be me.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I'm trying to do a lot of my braking in a straight line. I've moved the brake-bias around a lot through the run, but I start with it pretty far forward.. ~49ish... fwiw, it has mis-matched brake-master cyclinders, though, so that isn't a "real" 49/51 split.. this is a track I'd rather lock the fronts than the rears. You can max the brake pedal out in this car. The trick is just working on how you get the pedal maxed out. And I only max out the brakes for straight-line braking; the Chase and T2. Maybe I'll get there with Hell and T1, too. Everywhere else, I'm just dancing on the pedal as I feel grip.

This car wants throttle input to turn, not braking force.

My layman's understanding of this car's differential is that engine power to the dif frees the dif to provide power to the wheels independant of each other, the way a dif is supposed to work. However, if there is no engine power on the input to the dif, (the wheels are driving the driveshaft) then it binds, like a solid axel, making it hard to turn because [inside wheel] is locked to the same speed as [outside wheel].

Last edited:

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Immediately proved myself wrong. These cars are running dif that sre locked 100% of the time. There is no "slip". Both wheels are always turning at the same speed.

My reality hasn't changed, though. I find this car easier to brake in a straight line, and then breath the throttle while turning. Maybe the power is just helping to slip that binding inside-rear and put more pressure on the outside-rear, since that's the one determins corner speed.

Brainling

Hardcore
The car wanting throttle to turn could be a lot of my problem. My entire driving style is based on braking pretty deep in to a corner, a nice smooth progressive trail brake...this car does not appreciate it.

Jes_971

Hardcore
I've been practicing but have only been managing an average lap time of around 2:09.4. Car feels fine with the Cockeyed V2 setup but I can't say for sure if I would change anything. I still need to refine my own driving before I can offer any setup suggestions. I will be able to put in at least 4-6 hours of driving this weekend.

Jes_971

Hardcore
I know the cars (Ford, Holden) only differ in a cosmetic sense but which car are you guys driving. I simply just want to make sure I'm comfortable visually in the cockpit.

Jes_971

Hardcore
I only own the Holden but like you I don't really have a preference...... okay I do have a preference but I'll still drive either make. Rock, paper, scissors then?

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I only own the Holden but like you I don't really have a preference...... okay I do have a preference but I'll still drive either make. Rock, paper, scissors then?
Well now I'm curious what the inside of the Holden looks like....

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
OK I checked, the Mustang is more complete but both require a bit more work so it's up to you what you drive.

I'm actually considering re-skinning with the new livery so I could get more feedback on it from you guys once you've driven it and had a chance to look at it.

Jes_971

Hardcore
Well now I'm curious what the inside of the Holden looks like....
Yea, I've been kind of curious what the Ford looks like too. lol I'm gonna buy the Ford today and check her out. I just come from a GM family so I instinctually lean as such. The lion logo is cool as well. I actually liked the look from the cockpit of the previous Ford over the Holden. The hood bump (or power bulge, whichever you prefer) just made me feel racier.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Yea, I've been kind of curious what the Ford looks like too. lol I'm gonna buy the Ford today and check her out. I just come from a GM family so I instinctually lean as such. The lion logo is cool as well. I actually liked the look from the cockpit of the previous Ford over the Holden. The hood bump (or power bulge, whichever you prefer) just made me feel racier.
I liked the square steering wheel in the 2017 Ford, and both 2017 and 2019 Fords have really good front-clips. The Holden had a much more polished interior though. The old Ford's interior looked like they just hacked it off halfway down and didn't put any further thought into it.

I'm going to jump into Discord and host a practice for a couple hours, if anyone is interested in joining, or just wants to hang out.

Brainling

Hardcore
I accidentally bought the FS500 Mustang trying to buy the V8 SC Mustang...woops.

So I have both now, don't care which one we drive...though the dash in the new Ford seems bad? Like the wheel screen seems to lack a ton of information and the dash gauges behind it don't seem to do anything, unless I really was going 298 kph through the dipper. It's a mystery.

I as at PIR all weekend for the IndyCar race + festivities, so I didn't practice at all this weekend. Going to be hitting the track hard this week during the evenings.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
@Jes_971 @Brainling I've added another setup to the OP. It's probably a lot more suited for an Endurance event. I wasn't really pushing it and it seemed to stay in the 2:10's for most of the run, which I'm content with. I'm gonna try cocking the suspension a little bit, just because the car seems really loose in T2-Quarry and T6-Reid Park (not the place you want oversteer to the right when you have to immediately cut it back to the left). Hopefully I can fudge the springs to make the car a little more stable in right-turns, which will have the benefit of helping the car in the left-turns.

Thursday night is V8 Supercars America's iRacing Official race at 10:15p EST / 7:15p PST, I believe? 21 laps, standing start, 65% fuel (mando stop). Could be good practice. They have another one Friday night, too (Thursday is more beginner focused, Friday night counts towards V8SC America's seasonal championship.). Kind of torn. I kinda want to do the Friday night Aussie Bathurst 1000 with... all the Aussies... but kinda also wouldn't mind doing the V8 Supercar America's race, if it pulls in more B2O drivers... @Kenadian @Kinger :cool:

Twitch

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics

Threads