[Special Event] 2021 iRacing Nürburgring 24 Hour

Noodleguitar

Marc and I have given up on the Porsche.

I've been practicing in the BMW GT3. Thanks for the setups. The "normal" one feels pretty good for endurance stints. It's maybe a little tail-happy when turning in off-throttle though. For example going into the high-speed chicane on the GP circuit. But I see no reason to radically change the setup at this moment. Let me know if you make any adjustments.

What do you think we should do team-wise? A BMW team and a Mercedes team? 2x a BMW team?

Jes_971

Hardcore
Yeah I've been practicing on the "normal" setup and have been enjoying it. I'm not sure about teams. I'll let the smarter ones sort that out, I'm currently roleplaying as a "hired gun" for this event. I'll also be auctioning an autographed pair of my Nomex underwear once the race is over. All proceeds go to my bank account.

Brainling

Hardcore
Yeah the normal setup has been fine for me. We could probably tighten the back up by loosening up the springs a little, letting the rear tires bite more, but I wouldn't change it much. It's completely controllable I think.

As for teams, we should probably have everyone who is definitely going to drive post here and go from there. I don't think we have enough for two teams, but we can see.

e: Never mind on the springs, they are already as soft as they get. Probably best to just leave it alone.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I think we have 7 drivers on the OP, now that Nejt scratched, and maybe 8 if Ogami drives? I would happily do the race on a 3-driver team, if we can.

Noodleguitar

Yeah the normal setup has been fine for me. We could probably tighten the back up by loosening up the springs a little, letting the rear tires bite more, but I wouldn't change it much. It's completely controllable I think.

As for teams, we should probably have everyone who is definitely going to drive post here and go from there. I don't think we have enough for two teams, but we can see.

e: Never mind on the springs, they are already as soft as they get. Probably best to just leave it alone.
I haven't experienced this on the normal setup (or haven't noticed it), but this is what iRacing says about the BMW:
iRacing said:
Something to note with this car is that you can break the nose dropping over the big jump if you're running really soft springs!!

Noodleguitar

I got the hood damage multiple times in a practice session I just did, on the normal setup. So I used the front spring settings from the setup posted by iRacing staff, which supposedly doesn't break the car, but that resulted in the same damage about halfway into the stint.

Jes_971

Hardcore
Well, things are starting to look a bit worrying for this weekend. The issues with the BMW hood damage (seemingly regardless of setup) and now the apparent crashes that some people are experiencing whilst trying to load into Nurburgring Gesamstrecke 24h sessions.......

hmm just noticed this pasted at the top of the membersite

"We are aware of an issue causing users to crash when transitioning from Practice to Race servers. Users can prevent this by setting enableLCDDisplay=0 in the [External_Displays] section of the app.ini file, located in the DocumentsiRacing folder. Expect a Hotfix in the near future."

@Brainling
@Deb
@Kenadian
@ShadniX
@Noodleguitar
@Skid_Marc_

Last edited:

Brainling

Hardcore
Not a great patch for iRacing so far...especially with all the GPU driver crash related issues some are having.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
As much as people love graphical improvements, it's not really an improvement if the game "looks" better, but is less stable... remember when you used to be able to play iRacing on a potato? lol

Brainling

Hardcore
I got the hood damage multiple times in a practice session I just did, on the normal setup. So I used the front spring settings from the setup posted by iRacing staff, which supposedly doesn't break the car, but that resulted in the same damage about halfway into the stint.
So I was able to finally get the damage going over pflanzgarten. It crumpled my hood a bit, but didn't hurt my speed at all. My next few laps were faster as the fuel burnt off and I never lost top speed. When I came in for repairs it was 16.6 of optionals and they basically flattened it out.

My concern is that a harder hit will do more damage, and any front end damage can lead to engine blow ups. I can try stiffening the front end to see if it helps, but we may either have to drive around it or go with a different plan.

ShadniX

Core
Been running the posted "Normal" setup for a couple of stints now. Feels ok. I haven't had any issues and got back into the pits with 0 repairs. The car did have visual damage, though. Not sure what to think about it.

Last edited:

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
So I've located the place where @ShadniX , @Kenadian, and I are all taking damage; after Kallenhard, the chicane right before Miss-Hit-Miss. There is a bump on the inside left that results on damage on the right side of the bumper.. 0 repairs doesn't equal zero damage... it just means they aren't repairing the damage you have...

Hans

Ken

Me

You'll notice Hans already has damage on the left side, too. He got that right off the GP circuit, somewhere before Hatzenbach (I tried to capture it with Gyazo, but I closed the game, and I guess the export failed)...

I also saw damage occurred in the Karussel, and then, obviously, the curb strikes are very inconsistent. The front bumper seems to break in two sections, left and right, and then the hood breaks, and the hood can break without damaging the front bumper...

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Hans took the damage above on his first lap. He ran a full stint, and sat #1 on the server with a 8:18.7. I took several knocks off the curbs, had my whole bumper crumpled, hood crumpled, and I sat #2 on the server with a 8:19.3 (draft), 8:19.8 without draft... (I tried racing the ride height 8 clicks on all corners during this session)

We're not talking wheel damage, there is no effect to handling... is there a top-speed loss, maybe... but I think the chances of going 24-hours around the wring without wrinkling a fender is pretty slim in any car. If everyone is comfortable with the car, I'm not sure wrinkled fenders warrent a car change... unless we're slower than a lower class, or we can see signs of oil-temps rising or confirmation of the engine blowing... :confused:

Brainling

Hardcore
Yeah, it's probably unlikely we got a full 24 at the ring without someone bumping something...but it's also a bummer to go in to a race knowing you're going to end up with car damage, even if you do everything right.

I'm fine with it though, if the Beamer is what we want to stick with, we can try and be careful and just deal with what happens.

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics