AbbyTheFoxx

TS3 SA
Here's the replay, feel free to harshly judge all my missed apexes, wide track outs, and fishtails out of corners. Going to have to start throwing myself into random sessions and practice long runs, but obviously I won't be driving like this during the race lol. I think feeling the absolute limit (and over the limit) helps me be faster when just driving comfortably too though. I'm gonna have a field day when VRS finally releases telemetry.

AbbyTheFoxx

TS3 SA
Oh, forgot one more thing I wanted to mention. I realized after seeing the replay that, maybe due to the Rift's poor black levels, I can see a lot better at night in VR than with a monitor. Almost like having the gamma turned up but only at night. The things my headlights aren't hitting are really dark, but I can still clearly make them out. Might be worthwhile if I do more of the night stints for that reason, but I'll leave that up to whoever's making the schedule.

Hey everyone! It’s been a while since I've been racing but I renewed my iRacing subscription recently after about a yearlong break.

I always wanted to race a 24h race on the Nürburgring but never had time that weekend they set it to. You guys still have a free seat left?

Car I’d like to race: Mercedes AMG GT3

Last road race: May 2018 - Ruf RT 12 Track

Last time in GT3: Dec 2017 – Mercedes AMG GT3

Experience on Nordschleife: Did the first VLN season, finished 2nd overall driving AMG GT3. I know the track inside out. Did probably as many km on the Nordschleife as on all the other tracks together. I tried the Cup Porsche on the Nordschleife recently and I still do the GT3 braking points. They became ingrained and I guess I'll be unable to drive anything else on that track for ever.

Night experience: Never drove it during the night so far because the feature was released way after I quit and I just read about the upcoming race yesterday. I only did a night race on Twin Ring Motegi during a NEO Endurance season.

What my aim would be: I’d like to race for fun. So driving as fast as possible with a low risk of crashing would be my goal. I don’t aim for a spot in topsplit or stuff like that.

Jes_971

Hardcore
Sorry, I'm a little late to the party on this one. I would like to drive the BMW for this event, thank you.
@Skid_Marc_ I might make it into your session towards the end. Cooking dinner right now and its a bit involving.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I've put up another all-night practice session for anyone that is interested in doing some practice. I know I'm setting these up really early for people in the U.S... I'll focus on hosting more U.S. evening sessions next week.

AbbyTheFoxx

TS3 SA
Marked myself, I put 2 for day as I feel I can handle that but 1 for night as my eyes have actually been hurting from too much night practice, putting in a lot more seat time than I would in one stint. I can handle a stint at a time of night racing but I don't want to overdo it and cook my eyes again.

I'm a bit tired. It's already after midnight. Guess I'm gonna join for about an hour if you set up a session. But could be less, if it's a night session. ^^

---

I tried the Mercedes setup you gave me. In my opinion it's a bit unstable under braking. Not sure why but the rear just getting really loose many times but only under braking. I lowered the rear (spring perch) to get the main emphasis (?) a bit more to the front, which worked out well. I also changed the blades in the front to get rid of the understeering when exiting mid-speed corners which came up after my first adjustment. Positive side effect: better lap time, bit more topspeed. But I'm not 100% happy with the understeering thing so far.
Setup is based on "Bedo_Magardichian_-_Team_-_2_-_AMG_VLN_18S4_V4".

I'm not sure if you want to develope the setup or if it's kind of set and I should adjust my way of driving.

---

Regarding the time during the race... well I really don't care. I'll drive whenever you need me including Q und Start if needed. I'd prefere to double stint.

---

btw. who's going to drive the AMG or thinking about to drive it?

Attachments

Last edited:

AbbyTheFoxx

TS3 SA
Got to get some practice in the Porsche on stint old tires. Wear after the first pit stop was 79% on the insides of the front, and 75% on the rears (5% less wear than last time I checked my tires after a stint!). Putting a full fuel load back on the front makes the car terrifying for the out lap though, after that first lap it starts to settle into a groove and around lap 3 or 4 after burning off some of that fuel I was running just like 2-4 seconds off my fastest lap when I didn't make mistakes. Pace doesn't suffer nearly enough to warrant 27 seconds for changing tires every pit stop, but it does require some more patience with the car when you pit out.

Also did another 8:36! Was in much more control of my car this time around though haha. Also going to go back on not wanting to double stint at night. I feel like I can handle it, just can't overdo the night practice, especially close to race day. Not sure if we were planning to double stint nights but if needed I can do it.

Nejtun

I always like the idea of double stinting tyres, unfortunately I slaughter them in any car for some reason so it doesn't really work for me lol :)
However looking at your numbers and only taking into consideration time saved and lost (forget for the moment any random events that may take place and assuming a totally undamaged car)

2-4 seconds lost per lap so lets go with 3 seconds as a middle ground, 9 laps per stint for the Porsche? thats 27 seconds right there.
so lets say you only lose 2 seconds per lap , 18 seconds lost over the stint, but ten seconds gained.
20 stops in the Porsche I think? so ten of those will not need a tyre swap 100 seconds saved just from pitstop strat alone which is a pretty significant chunk of time to be gained for free over the entire race.

OK , so you mentioned the car was "Terrifying" on the outlap with the full fuel, is that good to have 10 times in the race? one little armco scrape and that is you down on top end for the entire race even if it is just a few Km/h.
You are also backing up your braking just a little bit to lose that time over the lap I should imagine? the guy that pitted out next to you probably has fresh tyres and more than likely doesn't expect you to be nursing old ones. " I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE GONNA BRAKE SO EARLY!!"

I am not saying it is a bad idea at all and think it can be done dynamically, as in you are racing for a position (maybe towards the end of the race?) and 27 seconds saved then and there could clinch it. But to carry that kind of danger from start to finish seems kinda risky for such a long race.

If you do happen to try it and make it work then that is badass and I will be right there cheering and wooping ( assuming I haven't already rage quit :D )

Noodleguitar

I believe last time I felt the same in the Porsche. Pace on the Ring doesn't seem to be affected massively by old tires. The first half of an outlap is always going to be dangerous. If you don't change the tires they will either heat up (from core to the surface) or cool down while stationary which reduces grip. If you do change the tires you will be pitting out on cold tires which handle crap initially as well (at least with heavy track usage).

But Nejtun has good points, if we do not clearly gain time it's not worth bothering. Occasionally you can also overtake a slower driver by skipping tires, whereas overtaking him with new tires could cost you many seconds on the Nordschleife and introduce extra tire wear.

Deb

I'm a bit tired. It's already after midnight. Guess I'm gonna join for about an hour if you set up a session. But could be less, if it's a night session. ^^

---

I tried the Mercedes setup you gave me. In my opinion it's a bit unstable under braking. Not sure why but the rear just getting really loose many times but only under braking. I lowered the rear (spring perch) to get the main emphasis (?) a bit more to the front, which worked out well. I also changed the blades in the front to get rid of the understeering when exiting mid-speed corners which came up after my first adjustment. Positive side effect: better lap time, bit more topspeed. But I'm not 100% happy with the understeering thing so far.
Setup is based on "Bedo_Magardichian_-_Team_-_2_-_AMG_VLN_18S4_V4".

I'm not sure if you want to develope the setup or if it's kind of set and I should adjust my way of driving.

---

Regarding the time during the race... well I really don't care. I'll drive whenever you need me including Q und Start if needed. I'd prefere to double stint.

---

btw. who's going to drive the AMG or thinking about to drive it?
@VipersStrike21, the setup "Bedo_Magardichian_-_Team_-_2_-_AMG_VLN_18S4_V4" is the setup @Bedo and I run in our VLN races as it is a good compromise for most weather conditions. If it gets out from under you, you can adjust brake bias. In hot weather, I usually put the brake bias down to 52.5 to make it more stable. I'll give your set up a try probably Monday, @Bedo and I are running the late night VLN session tonight.

We have 5 people signed up for the AMG right now. I don't usually run a ton of stints and @Bedo's time is often limited, so I think we will need at least that many particularly with a lot of night driving. I don't think it will make sense to double stint in the dark, particularly if you are not double stinting tires. We have generally found on the Nord that double stinting tires doesn't make sense unless your tires are at least 75% when you come in from the first stint.

AbbyTheFoxx

TS3 SA
Well, it's probably more time saved than that honestly. Running 2-4 seconds off my fastest lap is probably 1-2 seconds off an average lap. Like Noel said, the car is a bit nervous on the first half of an outllap regardless of new or old tires, I just think it's a bit more nervous on old tires. Maybe with some setup adjustments and practice to understand how it drives on that outlap it will be perfectly feasible.

@VipersStrike21, the setup "Bedo_Magardichian_-_Team_-_2_-_AMG_VLN_18S4_V4" is the setup @Bedo and I run in our VLN races as it is a good compromise for most weather conditions. If it gets out from under you, you can adjust brake bias. In hot weather, I usually put the brake bias down to 52.5 to make it more stable. I'll give your set up a try probably Monday, @Bedo and I are running the late night VLN session tonight.

We have 5 people signed up for the AMG right now. I don't usually run a ton of stints and @Bedo's time is often limited, so I think we will need at least that many particularly with a lot of night driving. I don't think it will make sense to double stint in the dark, particularly if you are not double stinting tires. We have generally found on the Nord that double stinting tires doesn't make sense unless your tires are at least 75% when you come in from the first stint.
Adjusting brake bias only didn't work out for me so far but it might be because of my lack of experience in the last months. So that was basically the reason why I started to try some changes. I'll give you some feedback after the upcoming practice sessions.

I share your assessment that double stinting tires doesn't make sense on the Nordschleife with a GT3 car. But I personally prefere double stinting regardless of the tires. We did it every VLN race and my second stint is usually way better than my first. But I guess you're right about the nightstints. As long as there's a bit light left I wouldn't worry. But I've not come to a decision yet whether I'd like to double stint in the dark or not. Probably not.

Deb

Aaaahhh, Nurburgring - VLN All Nighter

Somewhere on the Nordschleife there's a team
Starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on them
It's two A.M.

It's two A.M. (It's two A.M.)
We’re racing the Nord
The track feels like butter
The temp is so warm
We’re pushing the pace but too tired to take many chances

There's a Porsche that got loose
And dented our side
Now steering is off, car wants to run wide
Pit stop for fix, get all the aero enhances

Help, we’re racing in the Twilight Zone
Place is a madhouse, lap times are blown
Fuel maps been moved, brake bias subpar
Missed the pit stop and gone too far

So you will come to know
When you race the Twilight Zone
You may need a tow
When you race the Twilight Zone

11th place in top split, meh ;)

Noodleguitar

Here's the replay, feel free to harshly judge all my missed apexes, wide track outs, and fishtails out of corners. Going to have to start throwing myself into random sessions and practice long runs, but obviously I won't be driving like this during the race lol. I think feeling the absolute limit (and over the limit) helps me be faster when just driving comfortably too though. I'm gonna have a field day when VRS finally releases telemetry.

I think your first sentence sums up the time losses nicely :p. It looks like in some corners you're struggling because of too many inputs when already in the corner, which is upsetting the car. I think braking earlier would really help here. It might be slower at first, but when you get used to it you should find it much easier to hit the apices and accelerate early.

In the longer corners (right hander after Schwedenkreuz, 2nd corner after Adenauer Forst, Kallenhard, Bergwerk a.k.a. Zietgeist and the right hander going onto Döttinger for example) you may want to try turning in later. It seems you give up a lot of exit speed by turning in too early and going wide on the exit.

Also, almost every curb after the carousel is dangerous :)

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics