Kinger

Core
I want to apologize to my teammates. Sometimes I get too caught up in having fun and lose focus on what I should be doing. I know in the end this is about having fun because if we're not having in what we're doing then why the hell are we doing it. I always have fun in iRacing and hanging out with you all. Even if what comes out of my mouth may lead some to believe I'm not having fun. I was in a weird mood last night. Sometimes I get to caught up in the moment and lose focus on what I should be doing. All I was trying to do last night was hot lap which is what I shouldn't have been doing. I should've been focusing on putting full stints together whilst feeling the car out. It was my mistake that lead me to drive a setup that we weren't going to be driving. What lead to that mistake was not getting clarification on which setup we planned on starting to practice with. Another mistake of mine was not taking the time to get up to speed/comfortable with a different setup before I started criticising it. The above is written for the want of truth and transparency from myself to this community that I love and respect immensely. I made some mistakes that while might not have been a big deal to some of you, were decisions/actions that I didn't like it and didn't sit well with myself. All of that aside, I'm positively excited to get the rest of the preparation for the event underway with you all. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being who you are.
For the record, I found your comments on Ken’s stream last night quite hysterical. Especially the one about your window being fogged up because of two pigs getting it on via the back seat.

Kenadian

Staff member
Site Admin
For the record, I found your comments on Ken’s stream last night quite hysterical. Especially the one about your window being fogged up because of two pigs getting it on via the back seat.
lol ya his wit was on point last night.

Deb

@Jes_971, I'm with everyone, didn't notice, I was trying to get use to a new car. Sometimes you just need to do some hotlaps and get it out of your system :) Just like sometimes you just gotta punt someone o_O

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Another Bathurst session going up. Just absolutely roasting the track with max temperatures and max rubber for maximum misery!

Worked kinda late tonight so didn't get to join you guys. However, so far @Skid_Marc I'm liking the setup you posted, although I could only get to low 2:04's (optimal mid 2:03).
Also, I don't think I'm good enough to double stint tires here. In that case, do you think some more camber might aid mechanical grip in the corners?

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
Worked kinda late tonight so didn't get to join you guys. However, so far @Skid_Marc I'm liking the setup you posted, although I could only get to low 2:04's (optimal mid 2:03).
Also, I don't think I'm good enough to double stint tires here. In that case, do you think some more camber might aid mechanical grip in the corners?
Yeah, @Bedo made some changes. Hopefully it'll get posted on here soon.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
0acb2cd8f354a615b4e16304ea9a2057.png

I'm not entirely sure that @Bedo is properly conveying "camber" in his thoughts last night. I can't think of one time that I've ever wanted (Looking at the tyres from the front) \\FL FR//. You always want the tops of the tyres pointed inwards.

I can find all kinds of examples of negative camber in racing, but I can't find any running positive camber, outside of oval racing.

All of Bedo's examples show positive camber except his last "//RL RR\\". That is negative camber, that is what the current Audi setup has.

Are you sure you're not referring to Toe, Bedo? Because that would make your second statement more accurate. You generally do want your tyres, when viewed from the top of the car, to look like this...

\\LF RF//

| |LR RR| |

At the front; negative Toe-in, aka toe-out, improves turn-in..

At the rear; As neutral as possible. Slightly positive toe-in, as shown in your example "/LR RR\" makes for more stability. Slightly negative toe-in, as is on the setup that I shared, makes for better turn in. Not a fan of driving the car for the length of the race with -0.3mm Toe-in (toe-out), but it does pick up a bit of pace for qualifying and it helps rotate the back of the car.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I'm going to put up another 4-hour hosted session at 8pm EST tonight. I know some of you were talking about being in an Official practice session, but two hour sessions make it impossible to get two full stints in. I'll leave the session un-passworded, though, so it should be plenty busy and I may even take the Porsche out just so that we don't have to deal with that variable.

Nejtun

We wanted to know if we could double stint the first set of tyres at Bathurst to perhaps gain a track position advantage.
So I tested it!
The session started at 5:50 am In the first stint I had 0.8 seconds of optional repairs. fastest time 2:03.1
tyre stint 1.png

Second stint started out ok with 2:05s ( about a second for the rapidly heating up track + a second for the older tyres so not bad ) about 10 laps in I got a tyre warning, then another 5 laps later, then another 5 laps after that.
Car became very floaty 15 laps to go but still pretty stable. Lap times were falling off quickly however with 2:08s being the norm.

2 laps to go and disaster struck! 2:10 lap times and a puncture going into Forest elbow! didn't damage the car though so crawled back to the pits.
tyre stint 2.png

Only a maniac will do this. 'could' work if you can pull it off and block a bit I suppose but I shan't be doing it :D

Jes_971

Hardcore
@Skid_Marc_ I've got a family birthday to go to Saturday night so I'm updating my availability for the race. If I could get my stints in and done early in the race that would be great. I hope this is ok and will be ok for my teammates.

Nejtun

@Kenadian this is the skin we had since spa, I don't think we need to change anything?
bimmer.jpg

the number plates and windscreen banner have Blancpain, not sure if that is what you want or not.

Nejtun

That's cool, just that I said I would check if we already had a car with the right names on, just in case time gets a bit tight!

Jes_971

Hardcore
I don't think time is an issue with Ken. If it is then he needs to re-prioritize. I should also mention that as the previous post shows, I now speak on behalf of Ken. I'm his personal spokesperson and any questions and inquiries will be handled by me. He is verbally no longer taking part in this community. He will now only be gracing us with his presence to race endurance events.

Bedo

Core
@Skid_Marc_ Sorry, I've been crazy busy the past couple of days and did not have time to post the setup. Your setup is also faster and in the cold it doesn't understeer as much. I ended up tweaking it slightly to remove the negative rear toe and I may have done something with the dampers. Other than that, drives the same.

About my ascii diagram, you are absolutely right in your post.
My diagram on twitch didn't let me put new lines in, but it was supposed to be a top down view of toe. I'll attempt to draw it instead. Looking top down (arrow indicates direction of travel)

This is what you want, as you correctly stated above:
Negative Front Toe
Positive Rear Toe
1549590813262.png

This is what you actually had:
Negative Front Toe
Negative Rear Toe
1549590903353.png

^^^^ This makes the car very unstable ^^^^^

I suspect the reason for this is when you put on a lot of negative camber on the rear wheels it changes the toe from positive to negative. It's possible the toe was not re-adjusted after the camber change was made. I've seen this on a few setups.

Last edited:

Bedo

Core
Also, is the schedule set? I may not be able to drive any stints until the very end, so if you can slot me in just for the last two stints that might work just fine.

Skid_Marc_

Staff member
Admin
I suspect the reason for this is when you put on a lot of negative camber on the rear wheels it changes the toe from positive to negative. It's possible the toe was not re-adjusted after the camber change was made. I've seen this on a few setups.[/QUOTE]

Can you share what you have, Bedo? As I said in TS, the negative toe was intentional, for qualifying only, as it allows for a faster time over the mountain in qualifying. It really helps on turn-in.

Too unstable to hold onto for the entire race, obviously. Has anyone else @Bedo @Anson Bennette got a preference on brake pads? The setup has Low by default, but Medium imo is a little nice for endurance. A little less strain on the leg lap after lap, but I'm okay with whatever.

Twitch

Latest posts

iRacing Special Events 2023

Watkins Glen 6hr: GTP, LMP2, GT3 (IMSA)
  ~ June 16 - 18
24 Hours of Spa: GT3
  ~ July 21 - 23
Peachtree Three (Charity Event): C8R GTE, GT4 Class, GR86
  ~ TBD
Bathurst 1000: Supercars
  ~ September 15 - 17

Forum statistics